PDA

View Full Version : Is there a way to automate Unseen Crafter spam?

SangoProduction
2015-10-24, 09:53 PM
And no, I don't mean "automate" as in just ignore the time it takes or whatever, I mean make it truly automated. You are far away in another dimension while new unseen crafters being made in your guild hall - despite no other wizards knowing the spell.

1) My initial idea was an (array of) Eternal Wand(s). But I need something to trigger the wand. I also don't want it to be a creature of any type that triggers it. Said creatures would cost upkeep, and could also run off with the wand.

2) And also, I want each cast to do the same thing (like "Make as many [item] as possible for the next x weeks"). I think there's a spell or some sort of item that can project a recording of your voice whenever a specified event occurs...but I've got no idea what it's called, or what book I read it in.

3) Could auto-resetting traps be used for a...oh. We don't even need eternal wands. I think if you made a resetting magical trap of Unseen Crafter, it would work, I presume. Could you just have it pressure plate activated, and not have the Crafter interact with the (rock/chunk of metal/whatever else is on the pressure plate), and it would just keep casting each time the trap reset?

Damned if I know where the trap rules are, but I remember traps being able to auto-reset.

Kraken
2015-10-24, 10:02 PM
Very simple. The spell energy transformation field, combined with some push button magic item (edit: Spell Compendium), like an immoveable rod, and a simple mechanical apparatus to activate the button in the magic item on a repeated basis, will produce whatever spell effect you desire on a continual basis.

SangoProduction
2015-10-24, 10:09 PM
Very simple. The spell energy transformation field, combined with some push button magic item (edit: Spell Compendium), like an immoveable rod, and a simple mechanical apparatus to activate the button in the magic item on a repeated basis, will produce whatever spell effect you desire on a continual basis.

Lol. That might be just a bit too easy to do. I'll see what I can do though.

Jack_Simth
2015-10-24, 10:14 PM
And no, I don't mean "automate" as in just ignore the time it takes or whatever, I mean make it truly automated. You are far away in another dimension while new unseen crafters being made in your guild hall - despite no other wizards knowing the spell.

1) My initial idea was an (array of) Eternal Wand(s). But I need something to trigger the wand. I also don't want it to be a creature of any type that triggers it. Said creatures would cost upkeep, and could also run off with the wand.

2) And also, I want each cast to do the same thing (like "Make as many [item] as possible for the next x weeks"). I think there's a spell or some sort of item that can project a recording of your voice whenever a specified event occurs...but I've got no idea what it's called, or what book I read it in.

3) Could auto-resetting traps be used for a...oh. We don't even need eternal wands. I think if you made a resetting magical trap of Unseen Crafter, it would work, I presume. Could you just have it pressure plate activated, and not have the Crafter interact with the (rock/chunk of metal/whatever else is on the pressure plate), and it would just keep casting each time the trap reset?

Damned if I know where the trap rules are, but I remember traps being able to auto-reset.

There's a number of ways to go about it, yes, but it depends on your resources. Trap rules (such as they are) are found Here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/traps.htm#designingATrap).

Assume, for the sake of argument, that you can't cast any spell above Unseen Crafter (2nd). Then yes, a periodic trigger, automatic reset trap of Unseen Crafter will do the job, and cost:
500 gp × caster level × spell level, +40 XP × caster level × spell level = 500 gp × 3 × 2, +40 XP × 3 × 2 = 3,000 gp and 240 xp to create (6 days).

Assume that you're much stronger than that. Assume you have 7th level spells available, because you're at 13th, and that you're a Wizard. A Simulacrum of you is a 6th level Wizard, takes 8 hours to cast, and will cost you 600 gp and 1,000 xp. Assuming a general wizard, and assuming a base int of 16, this 6th level Wizard, if it does nothing but cast Unseen Crafter, can cast it 7 times per day, and each casting lasts 6 days. If you have Extend Spell, then three of those last 12 days, instead.

There's other methods. What are your resources?

Edit: For reference, the Energy Transformation Field spell suggested by Kraken is found on Spell Compendium page 81, and is a 7th level Sor/Wiz spell with a 5,000 gp material component and a 250 xp component, that takes 4 rounds to cast. The Immovable Rod is an example item in the Energy Transformation Field spell, and as your target spell is 2nd level, would power the Unseen Crafter result at your caster level once for each attempt to turn on the rod in the area. An immovable Rod has a market price of 5,000 gp, and would cost 2,500 gp and 200 xp to craft. Oh yes, and you'd need someone to activate it. I might suggest that instead of an Immovable Rod, you hire a 1st level Paladin to trigger things via Detect Evil.

SangoProduction
2015-10-24, 11:23 PM
Unknown resources right now. Thanks for a link to the traps SRD.

Jack_Simth
2015-10-24, 11:35 PM
Oh yes, and about 2:
You want Magic Mouth (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/magicMouth.htm) and Permanency (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/permanency.htm).

SangoProduction
2015-10-24, 11:38 PM
Oh yes, and about 2:
You want Magic Mouth (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/magicMouth.htm) and Permanency (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/permanency.htm).

Awesome. I knew I wasn't insane. thanks.

Kraken
2015-10-25, 01:42 AM
I might suggest that instead of an Immovable Rod, you hire a 1st level Paladin to trigger things via Detect Evil.

Solid idea, you could save money by using dominate, or if you want to never need to recast your dominate, you could use necrotic tumor (Libra Mortis) on a warforged paladin. They'd work tirelessly forever.

Elxir_Breauer
2015-10-25, 07:38 AM
Couldn't a Dedicated Wright (Eberron Campaign Setting, pg 284 for stat block and creation guidelines) activate the trap for you? They can follow all the instructions on basic crafting themselves for any item you have the Creation feat for, I'd say that's well within their parameters. If you can't get an Artificer to make one for you, there's always the Craft Construct feat to make one yourself, then you'd be set. It'll follow the instructions you give it until the task is done (tell it to activate the pressure plate every so many seconds until you return), just have it all linked to the one activation setup and it's all good to go.

Edit: This is assuming a 3.5/Eberron Material friendly setup, given the Unseen Crafter spam. If this is not the case, then ignore my advice. Have fun making this setup work however you manage it! (Currently playing a Ratfolk Artificer in a 3.P hybrid version of The World's Largest Dungeon, using the PF homebrewed Artificer found here.) (https://sites.google.com/site/eberronpathfinder/conversion-info/classes/artificer)