PDA

View Full Version : Evoked potent Cantrip ability

Tanarii
2015-10-24, 10:59 PM
Anyone have any idea why the Evoker 2nd level feature Potent Cantrip works with cantrips with saving throws, when none of the Evocation cantrips have saving throws?

NNescio
2015-10-24, 11:04 PM
Anyone have any idea why the Evoker 2nd level feature Potent Cantrip works with cantrips with saving throws, when none of the Evocation cantrips have saving throws?

Probably done for future and cross-class compatibility reasons. EE has Frostbite and Thunderclap, while SCAG has Lightning Lure and Sword Burst.

Glarnog
2015-10-24, 11:15 PM
It works with any cantrip, so like Acid Splash and Poison Spray from the PH.

Tanarii
2015-10-25, 12:39 AM
Yeah I got that it works with non-evocation cantrips, and future releases. It just struck me as weird when all of the PHB evocation cantrips that a Wizard can use are attack rolls.

hymer
2015-10-25, 02:23 AM
Yeah I got that it works with non-evocation cantrips, and future releases. It just struck me as weird when all of the PHB evocation cantrips that a Wizard can use are attack rolls.

For what it's worth, I had the very same reaction when I first realized it.

Firechanter
2015-10-25, 03:40 AM
It works with any cantrip, so like Acid Splash and Poison Spray from the PH.

Yes, but those two are rubbish.
The frosty one from EE looks fine though. Haven't looked at the SCAG ones yet.

ronlugge
2015-10-25, 10:53 AM
Yes, but those two are rubbish.
The frosty one from EE looks fine though. Haven't looked at the SCAG ones yet.

A D6 that targets two foes isn't rubbish. And if you can get close enough and survive (if you're smart enough to get close enough and survive) a D12 cantrip isn't half bad either, as long as you avoid poison-immune enemies.

Firechanter
2015-10-25, 11:45 AM
A D6 that targets two foes isn't rubbish. And if you can get close enough and survive (if you're smart enough to get close enough and survive) a D12 cantrip isn't half bad either, as long as you avoid poison-immune enemies.

If you're a wizard, you don't _want_ to get up close and personal with your enemies. Also, poison is the least useful damage type out there, with a whopping 95 creatures in the MM sporting an immunity (and 5 more being resistant). So "avoiding" them is easier said than done when half the friggin MM falls into that category.
Acid Splash is slightly better, but more situational, and the d6 base damage is rather underwhelming, and it's definitely not the cantrip an Evoker would want to rely on as his basic attack.

MaxWilson
2015-10-25, 02:38 PM
Acid Splash is slightly better, but more situational, and the d6 base damage is rather underwhelming, and it's definitely not the cantrip an Evoker would want to rely on as his basic attack.

Greenflame blade: does double damage when two monsters are within 5' of each.
Acid Splash: does damage damage when two monsters are within 5' of each other.
Thunderclap: does up to 8x damage when eight monsters are all within 10' of each other.

And yet conventional wisdom is that Greenflame Blade is overpowered, while Acid Splash and Thunderclap get a collective "meh." I'm not picking on you, Firechanter, and for all I know you would (correctly) refer to Greenflame Blade and Booming Blade as "situational" too--but conventional wisdom is wacky.

Firechanter
2015-10-25, 03:06 PM
I haven't analyzed Thunderclap, but iirc it has rather short range, which again _I_ would want to avoid when I play a Wizard.

I did do the math for GFB on an EK and it showed that it was a slight improvement over regular Attacks at some levels, and somewhat worse at others. I didn't consider it OP. Haven't looked at Bladesinger much but I don't have a feeling it would be over the top there, either.