PDA

View Full Version : Quick and Dirty Fix

Maxrim
2015-10-24, 11:31 PM
Hey, I was just reading another thread about a fix for full casters by nerfing casting times by spell level, and the response was:

Repeat after me: Quick and Dirty Fixes Fix Nothing

That reminded me of my own fix, which has worked remarkably well for me over the past couple years. When I got into 3.5, I actually misunderstood full attacks and standard action attacks. I thought you could move, then full attack.

I now use that intentionally. Charge attacks still only give one attack, because all the best ways to optimize melee damage involve needing to charge, so I feel that requiring pounce is good tax there. Maneuvers don't change, they're balanced as is.

The other thing I do is allow spells that you could cast under the effects of Sanctuary that would normally be standard actions be cast as move actions. That makes in-combat healing a viable option, and it helps low-op buffing casters, because high-op ones would have their buffs persistent anyway.

I don't have perfect testing done on this, I've played levels 8-23 with it. Let me know what your thoughts are.

daremetoidareyo
2015-10-24, 11:49 PM
Makes sense if it works for you. It makes monks less terrible.

Troacctid
2015-10-25, 12:27 AM
Full attacking as a standard action is definitely a good quick-n'-dirty fix.

I think there are a fair share of good quick-n'-dirty fixes. Give the Soulknife manifesting as a Psychic Warrior. Swap the animal companions of the Druid and Ranger. Give Favored Souls a domain. Give Sorcerers bonus feats (a la Wizard or Psion) and boost their spells known and spells per day up a level. Make Shadowcaster mysteries use recharge magic.

The catch is that they each only fix one thing, and if you try and apply them all, it ceases to be quick and dirty.