PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Build

Walk Hard
2015-10-25, 12:06 AM
I will be joining in on a new pathfinder game in a few weeks and am looking for some assistance in character gen.

A very basic outline of the campaign is that we will be working from ships and islands (that is pretty much all I know)

I am wanting to play a Wizard, we are using the 25 point buy for stats and will be starting at level two

So far the other player appear to be a druid (I think a melee based druid?), a bard/archer, and a rouge with maxed bluff.

So where should I go with this? It is worth mentioning that I have never played in Pathfinder before, I do have a good 10 years of role playing experience but not with DnD/Pathfinder, I have played in a number of D20 systems so I do have a good idea as to what is what :)

For my Wizard I like to be able to summon creatures, Blast things with magic (Fireball, Lightning Bolt etc, and buff allies)

Fosco the Swift
2015-10-25, 09:57 AM
Since you're using a point build, don't be afraid to make one (maybe two) dump stat(s) to help you boost your important ones. Also, pick a race that can get you a +2 to INT (Elf, or any partially or full Human races) so you can max it out. One 18 stat costs 17 points, so drop at least one to 8 to give you enough points to work with. I highly recommend putting some points into DEX for those ranged attack spells and AC. This will leave you with an INT of 20. If you like min-maxing, bump your age category to Middle Age or Old to get an even higher INT. Your physical stats will suffer though.

For my Wizard I like to be able to summon creatures, Blast things with magic (Fireball, Lightning Bolt etc, and buff allies)
If you really want to be able to do all these things, stick with the Universalist School (wizard schools are explained on pages 78-79 in the Core Rulebook). However, you will be stretching yourself very thin at 2nd level trying to do this. If you're willing to focus on one of these styles, here are the schools you should look at:

Summoning: This is definitely the Conjuration School. The extra spell slot basically gives you a free Summon Monster, and the school's "Summoner's Charm" will increase the duration of your summoned monsters. Also, Conjuration is an extremely versatile school so you almost can't go wrong with it.

Blast things with Magic: While many schools have attack spells, Evocation is your best one for a Spellblaster. "Intense Spells" increases your damage and "Force Missile" gives you something to use when you're running low.

Buff Allies: This is split between Abjuration and Transmutation. Abjuration is focused on protection, while Transmutation is more actual buffing. Personally, I would recommend Transmutation as it has the longest spell list of any school, so you'd have lots of options. Either way, if you want to buff, neither of these spells should be one your opposition schools.

All Three: While this is possible, it's extremely difficult to do at low level. I recommend the Universalist school so you don't have to worry about opposition schools, although specializing will give you an extra spell slot. For Universalist, keep in mind that it was made with metamagic in mind, so get one by eighth level.

For your Arcane Bond, choose the bonded item. A familiar is in danger of getting killed, but an amulet is usually pretty safe for a dungeon crawl. Plus, the extra spell is extremely useful for any situation.

Walk Hard
2015-10-26, 03:24 AM
Here is what I have dreamed up.

Elf Wizard Level2

Str 8
Dex 16
Con 12
Int 20
Wis 10
Cha 10

I have Scribe Scroll as a Wizard Feat, and I took Spell Focus Conjuration as my 1st level Feat (I plan on taking Augment Summoning as soon as I can to buff up my summons)

My known spells are
Mage Armor
Summon Monster I
Magic Missile
Color Spray
Enlarge Person
Sleep
Burning Hands
Magic Weapon
Jump
Charm Person

Have I missed anything or is there something that could work better? Any tips would be great

Fosco the Swift
2015-10-26, 05:15 AM
What Wizard school did you choose?

Walk Hard
2015-10-26, 04:55 PM
Conjuration

I barred Necromancy and I cant remember the other one.. I'll check when I am back home later today

dascarletm
2015-10-26, 05:02 PM
I suggest having the stats for your potential summons ready to go by game day. Summoning can really slow down the game, so be on the ball and think about what you are going to do before it hits your turn. If you need to do 5 characters worth of actions it's courteous to be as timely as possible.