PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Combining Traits & Feats: A New Feat system for Pathfinder

Southern Cross
2015-10-25, 01:01 AM
Introduction:
Not all feats in D & D 3.5 (or Pathfinder) are created equal. However, when homebrew systems tried to fix this, they tend to make purchasing feats much more difficult. I thought that it might be possible to balance feats when I discovered Pathfinder had an optional Trait system. As Traits are essentially half-feats, I developed a Trait point system that characters could use to purchase feats, and decided to convert the following feats into Traits as follows:
Brew Potion, Dodge, Endurance, Point Blank Shot, Spell & Weapon Focus. Feats that add +2 to a specific maneuver or reduce a penalty by 4 points also count as Traits.

Base Trait Points:
All characters now start with 1 Trait Point, plus a number of Trait Points equal to their character level. Trait Points can be spent either to purchase Traits (which normally cost 1 Trait Point) or Feats (which cost 2 Trait Points, but do not count as Traits). Trait Points can either be spent once gotten (to get a new Trait or Upgrade an existing Trait into a Feat), or saved until the character has enough to purchase a feat. This rule renders the Extra Traits feat obsolete, so if using these rules, you can remove this feat from the campaign.
Optional: Player characters get an additional 2 Trait points which may be spent only on Traits) at character creation, but it costs an additional 2 Trait Points to Upgrade one of these extra Traits.

Ethereal Gears
2015-10-25, 06:18 AM
I think this looks pretty good. I do however think the list of feats convertible into traits could be expanded, and will always be a point of contention. I for instance would most certainly add in Power Attack, not because it's a low-powered feat but because it's one of those boring "must have" feats that every Str-based character ever takes and it feels dumb having to spend an alleged "option" to gain it.

That being said though, I think the basis of the system is very sound. Am I correct in assuming that trait points would be granted besides a character's regular level-based feat progression? Because if so this would potentially double the amount of feats gained over a character's career. If the trait points are meant to simply replace level-based feats, I would suggest granting 3 points at 1st level, plus an additional number equal to your class level, to at least make it equal to the old system. Someone may have a build that requires gaining a "non-trait" feat at 1st level, and this wouldn't be possible if they only gain 1 trait point then.

Just some thoughts. I like this initiative!

Cheers,
- Gears

Zireael
2015-10-25, 12:31 PM
I agree that this is nice, but requires clarifications - is this instead of the old system or on top of it?

Southern Cross
2015-10-25, 06:35 PM
This Trait Point system is intended to replace the old system. Even a 1st level PC should have 2 Trait Points at start.
And you can certainly convert more feats into Traits- the above list of new Traits was a list of recommendations only.
And it certainly is not complete: Bonus Feats are coming next!

Bonus Feats:
Some races and classes provide the character with bonus feats at certain levels. If the character can choose the bonus feat, then each bonus feat the character has provides the character with 2 extra Trait Points. If the character's bonus feat only provides a specific feat, the character normally gets 2 bonus Trait Points, unless the feat in question has been converted into a Trait ,in which case the character only gets 1 Trait point.
Exception: Alchemists get their Brew Potion feat Upgraded to the Brew Elixir Feat.

Coming Next: Upgrades (What they are, and how to get them).

Southern Cross
2015-10-29, 12:13 AM
Upgrades (What they are, and how to get them):
Upgrades are essentially Traits that add to existing Traits. (Note: if a feats sole feat prerequisite has been converted to a Trait,that feat becomes an Upgrade: hence, under this system, Precise Shot and Rapid shot are both separate Upgrades for Point Blank Shot, and Mobility is an Upgrade for the Dodge Trait). Once a character has purchased an Upgrade for an existing Trait, that Trait becomes a Feat for all intents and purposes, so the character can either take a new Trait in the same category when he (or she) gains a level or takes the same Trait again. Traits cost 1 Trait Point, unless the Upgrade requires the Extra Upgrade Trait.
Example: A character takes a Trait that raises his Initiative. He decides to Upgrade it to Improved Initiative the next level. Two levels later, he can either purchase the Trait again or purchase another Trait for the same category.

A sample of possible Upgrades is listed below:
All Schools: This Spell Focus Upgrade gives the caster a +1 bonus to all the character's spell schools.
Brew Elixir: This Upgrade enables a character with either Brew Potion or the Cauldron hex to create elixirs or philters. (If this Upgrade is taken, elixirs and philters can no longer be created with the Create Wondrous Item feat). Unlike the Brew Potion feat, elixirs and potions can be created with any spell of 6th level or less you can personally cast.
Extra Upgrade: Normally, a character can only purchase a single Upgrade per Trait. This Upgrade, however, can be purchased multiple times for the same Trait. Each time it is purchased, the character can take another Upgrade the following level.
Greater: This Upgrade doubles the numerical bonus of an existing Trait.
Improved Protection: This Upgrade to Spell Focus (Abjuration) increases the numerical protection of an abjuration spell (AC, energy or spell resistance) by +1.
Improved Saves: This Spell Focus Upgrade gives the character a +1 bonus to the save for that school. i.e. a character with Spell Focus (Enchantment) would also receive a +1 bonus to any saves vs. Enchantment effects.

Southern Cross
2015-11-03, 04:40 AM
Reserved for more stuff.
Improved: This Upgrade adds a +1 bonus to either BAB or AC at character level 4, and additional +1 every four levels afterwards.
Example: a character takes both Dodge and this Upgrade at 1st level. At 4th level the character gains an additional +1 dodge bonus to AC, which increases by an additional +1 at 8th level, and by +1 for every four levels afterwards.