PDA

View Full Version : DM Help That Damn Crab questions

Tarlek Flamehai
2015-10-25, 06:48 AM
Greetings all!

1. Does anyone have a working a link or complete stat block for TDC you can spare me?

2. By RAW, am I correct that Revived Fossil will work with TDC?

Thanks in Advance!

ranagrande
2015-10-25, 06:54 AM
2. By RAW, am I correct that Revived Fossil will work with TDC?!
No. Revived Fossil requires a creature with a skeleton, and crabs only have exoskeletons.

nyjastul69
2015-10-25, 08:05 AM
2. Yes. Revived fossil requires a corporeal creature (other than undead) with a skeletal system. TDC has an exoskeleton which is a type of skeletal system.

ExLibrisMortis
2015-10-25, 08:52 AM
The Far Corners of the World: Monsters of the Tides (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fw/20040221a)

Have fun :smallbiggrin:.

Solaris
2015-10-25, 10:04 AM
2. Yes. Revived fossil requires a corporeal creature (other than undead) with a skeletal system. TDC has an exoskeleton which is a type of skeletal system.

But not one that readily fossilizes. Typically what you'll find is an imprint filled with sediment, not the fossilized skeleton itself as with endoskeletal creatures.

nyjastul69
2015-10-25, 10:12 AM
But not one that readily fossilizes. Typically what you'll find is an imprint filled with sediment, not the fossilized skeleton itself as with endoskeletal creatures.

Readily fossilized isn't a requirement for the template however. Crustaceans can leave fossils. I don't see any reason this template can't be applied to TDC. I recently came across an entry, a spell I think, that distinguishes between an endo and exoskeleton, but I can't find it ATM.

Darrin
2015-10-25, 10:22 AM
I recently came across an entry, a spell I think, that distinguishes between an endo and exoskeleton, but I can't find it ATM.

Bonerattle, Ghostwalk p. 49. AKA "magic missile for bards" (with a Fort save for half).

nyjastul69
2015-10-25, 12:02 PM
Bonerattle, Ghostwalk p. 49. AKA "magic missile for bards" (with a Fort save for half).

Thanks. That wasn't it actually, but it gave me my answer, Bonefiddle SC pg. 37. The target line is 'one creature with a skeleton or exoskeleton'.

Solaris
2015-10-25, 12:07 PM
Readily fossilized isn't a requirement for the template however. Crustaceans can leave fossils. I don't see any reason this template can't be applied to TDC.

Whoops, you're right. I've done some more reading on it, and I was apparently misinformed. I recall reading that invertebrates (specifically mollusks, but crustacean exoskeletons are also made of calcium carbonate) don't tend to leave behind anything more than an impression in the silt a la the Pompeiians with all of their old material dissolving away (as opposed to being replaced through fossilization), but I can't seem to turn up anything to support that on the interwebs. To the contrary, their mineralized exoskeletons make them more likely to remain as fossils.