PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Wakizashi Proficiency

ThinkMinty
2015-10-25, 08:48 AM
What are the various ways of picking up Wakizashi proficiency? I'm lookin' at 'em for a hypothetical Swashbuckler.

FocusWolf413
2015-10-25, 10:10 AM
First things that pop to mind are Ninja and EWP. For a swashbuckler, why don't you use a saber (S/P 1d8 19-20x2, CW) or a rapier? That would be more accurate.

Florian
2015-10-25, 01:32 PM
What are the various ways of picking up Wakizashi proficiency? I'm lookin' at 'em for a hypothetical Swashbuckler.

What are we talking about? Ultimate Combat or Ultimate Equipment?

Psyren
2015-10-25, 03:29 PM
- The Tengu "Swordtrained" racial will get you proficiency with a number of sword-like weapons, including the Wakizashi. In the unlikely event your GM doesn't consider a wakizashi to be "swordlike," use the Exotic Weapon Training alternate racial which gives you 3+Int eastern weapon proficiencies of your choice.

- The Half-Elf "Ancestral Arms" alternate racial lets you swap their Skill Focus feat for EWP, granting access to a wakizashi.

- Gnomes with the "Master Tinker"ee alternate racial gain proficiency with any weapon they have personally crafted.

- Humans of course can use their bonus feat on EWP, provided they are taking a +1 BAB class at 1st-level.

Novawurmson
2015-10-25, 09:08 PM
There's a few other random ways, for example, Dwarf Oracles, Kitsune Oracles, Hobgoblin Rogues have an alternate favored class bonus:

Reduce the penalty for not being proficient with one weapon by 1. When the nonproficiency penalty for a weapon becomes 0 because of this ability, the rogue is treated as having the appropriate Martial or Exotic Weapon Proficiency feat for that weapon.

BWR
2015-10-26, 12:56 AM
Is it the mechanics you're interested in or the appearance? Because I really see no reason to have katana and wakizashi be anything but a longsword (possibly bastard sword) and a short sword, mechanically.

ThinkMinty
2015-10-26, 01:04 AM
Is it the mechanics you're interested in or the appearance? Because I really see no reason to have katana and wakizashi be anything but a longsword (possibly bastard sword) and a short sword, mechanically.

For both fluff and crunch reasons, I wanna be able to stab or slice at my discretion without requiring multiple feat trees.

Novawurmson
2015-10-26, 01:05 AM

The wakizashi is strictly better than the shortsword; it has a critical threat range of 18-20 to the short sword's 19-20 (meaning a keen wakizashi crits on 15-20 while a keen short sword crits on a 17-20). It's not always worth the feat, which is probably why OP is looking for another way to pick it up.

Psyren
2015-10-26, 01:35 AM
Wakizashis (and katanas) also have the "deadly" property, which in a nutshell makes a coup de grace from these weapons harder to survive. The crit range thing is the superior advantage but it's one more in-universe reason for a character to want one; any assassin will be aware of this weapon property and its usefulness for their line of work.

Florian
2015-10-26, 01:47 AM
Considering the Swashbucklers early access to Improved Critical, its worth taking EWP in this case. OTOH, if asia flavour is possible and wanged, I'd rather chose a Tengu, pick up Slashing Grace and use a Katana instead of the Wakizashi.

ThinkMinty
2015-10-26, 02:31 AM
Wakizashis (and katanas) also have the "deadly" property, which in a nutshell makes a coup de grace from these weapons harder to survive. The crit range thing is the superior advantage but it's one more in-universe reason for a character to want one; any assassin will be aware of this weapon property and its usefulness for their line of work.

Given that Swashbucklers run on criticals, the 18-20s are nice and compounded by the Improved Critical, two types of damage are nice for dealing with hypothetical DR, etc.

It's the combination of multiple damage types and wide critical that I like. If I could also stab dudes with a Cutlass, I'd just use that instead.

Psyren
2015-10-26, 02:36 AM
If I could also stab dudes with a Cutlass, I'd just use that instead.

As a matter of fact, Weapon Versatility (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/weapon-versatility-combat) lets you do exactly that

ThinkMinty
2015-10-26, 02:40 AM
As a matter of fact, Weapon Versatility (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/weapon-versatility-combat) lets you do exactly that

Well sign my ass up for pirate class, I'm pimp-slapping people with an Adamantine Cutlass.

Novawurmson
2015-10-26, 02:55 AM
Swashbucklers are crit-focused? But their primary damage boost is precision damage, which isn't multiplied.

Edit: Herp, Panache, forgot.

ThinkMinty
2015-10-26, 03:36 AM
Swashbucklers are crit-focused? But their primary damage boost is precision damage, which isn't multiplied.

Edit: Herp, Panache, forgot.

In the time you forgot, you got smacked across the chops with a sword and had your gold stolen by a charming rake.

Novawurmson
2015-10-26, 04:30 AM
In the time you forgot, you got smacked across the chops with a sword and had your gold stolen by a charming rake.

He was, without a doubt, the worst Swashbuckler I had ever heard of.

ThinkMinty
2015-10-26, 05:00 AM
He was, without a doubt, the worst Swashbuckler I had ever heard of.

You have heard of him, though.

Incorrect
2015-10-26, 08:56 AM
For the original question
Opalescent White Pyramid Ioun Stone gives profiency with one weapon for 10.000 gp

The cracked version gives Weapon familiarity (Treated as a martial weapon) for 1500 gp

MasterFu
2015-10-30, 08:34 PM
Two levels of Soulknife would grant you the ability to emulate a wakizashi (or any other single melee weapon) with your mind blade, and you're always proficient with your mind blade. Not much help if you intend to dual wield, though.

Ninjaxenomorph
2015-10-30, 09:26 PM
In Inner Sea Races, Humans have an alternate racial feature that swaps out their bonus feat for two culturally relevant martial or exotic weapons; I'd say its a pretty neat deal.