PDA

View Full Version : DM Help A Shield for a Bard

hymer
2015-10-25, 02:58 PM
The Dwarf King is going to give a PC bard a wedding gift, because they're friends. The king is a little worried that the skinny Bard is running around fighting orcs and sich with such a flimsy shield on his skinny arm. So as a good friend, he has a good, stout shield made for the bard.

I'm looking for interesting enchantments that would be useful to a human bard, and hopefully make sense in the given context (extra points for being amusing). I'm thinking of a shield in the area of 10k gp worth. Suggestions, ideas, thoughts, etc. are welcome.

Troacctid
2015-10-25, 03:04 PM
Animated. The shield dances around. Bard now has both hands free to play the lute.

hymer
2015-10-25, 03:10 PM
Animated. The shield dances around. Bard now has both hands free to play the lute.

Thanks for the suggestion. :smallsmile:

Necroticplague
2015-10-25, 03:12 PM
Well, if the bard's Strength is a concern, then something made out of Mithril would make sense. It also works with getting around the ASF that a shield normally entails. A Dwarven Buckler-Axe also doubles as a hands-free backup weapon. Possibly enchanted as a shield to make up for its somewhat weak mundane defenses (like a normal buckler, only +1). How heavy is the bard's armor? If it's less leather, padded, or chain shirt, he might give him a Dastana, which stacks with both his armor and his shield, while curiously not having any ASF (IIRC). a +1 smoking armor spike on it would both act as a hands-free backup weapon and provide him with the ever-coveted miss chance.

hymer
2015-10-25, 03:17 PM
Well, if the bard's Strength is a concern, then something made out of Mithril would make sense. It also works with getting around the ASF that a shield normally entails. A Dwarven Buckler-Axe also doubles as a hands-free backup weapon. Possibly enchanted as a shield to make up for its somewhat weak mundane defenses (like a normal buckler, only +1). How heavy is the bard's armor? If it's less leather, padded, or chain shirt, he might give him a Dastana, which stacks with both his armor and his shield, while curiously not having any ASF (IIRC). a +1 smoking armor spike on it would both act as a hands-free backup weapon and provide him with the ever-coveted miss chance.

Very elaborate, thanks! The bard actually has str 16, so it's not too bad, and he wears some sort of elven chain. He is specialized in Heavy Shields, and that would be the sort of gift the dwarf king would be likely to give, so...

yellowrocket
2015-10-25, 10:03 PM
What would an animated tower shield cost? Make it intelligent and able to sing to add bonuses to the bards skill and performance checks.

Uhtred
2015-10-25, 10:11 PM
Oh absolutely. Mithral heavy shield with armor spikes. Make the armor spikes a +1, then enchant them with Harmonizing. +2 on Perform checks, and will continue any Bardic performance you begin, leaving you free to do other stuff. I recall there also being an Amplifying enchantment that doubles the range of your Bardic Music effects, but can't find it.

hymer
2015-10-26, 04:01 AM
Oh absolutely. Mithral heavy shield with armor spikes. Make the armor spikes a +1, then enchant them with Harmonizing. +2 on Perform checks, and will continue any Bardic performance you begin, leaving you free to do other stuff. I recall there also being an Amplifying enchantment that doubles the range of your Bardic Music effects, but can't find it.

He already has a harmonizing sword. At any rate, if he wants weapon enchantments, he's going to put them on his weapon. Unconventional that, I know. :smallwink: