PDA

View Full Version : Painting Army Men?

alchemyprime
2015-10-25, 07:27 PM
So I just bought a whole bunch of fantasy army men (like these guys (http://amzn.to/1N1sxyT)) and I was wondering, has anyone here tried painting them like they were real miniatures (like Reaper or such)? I kind of want to pain them and make town guards for campaigns (and let my players/students paint them as custom minis for their characters).

Anyone have any experience in this regard?

Cealocanth
2015-10-25, 11:19 PM
Decent idea. I have not tried this, though. Maybe you'll have more luck on Arts and Crafts.

alchemyprime
2015-10-25, 11:22 PM
Decent idea. I have not tried this, though. Maybe you'll have more luck on Arts and Crafts.

I was thinking that just now.

I hope it's a good idea/that it works. I bought 70+ soldiers, 40 Elves and Orcs, 100 Skeletons and a batch of... what I assume were a company wanted Marvel and lost the license? Because now it's what I have dubbed "Ricktor Doom," "Hot Pants Wizard," "Club Hulk," "Happy Skeletor With a Face," "Batwolf By Night," and "Sorcerer Steve."

ILM
2015-10-26, 05:40 AM
Army painting is a bit different from traditional mini-painting. You want to be efficient and to make it look good and clean from a distance, but up close you'll see it was a quick job. It's been a while since I held a brush but I'd just start with a gray primer (white if you plan to have a lot of clear colors), block in the main colors, ink the creases then brush 2 or 3 layers of highlights, if that, and finish with any necessary detail (faces, etc.).