PDA

View Full Version : Buy, Sell, or Hold (V.2.0)!

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

Xykon_Fan
2007-05-25, 09:39 AM
Alright, this is a continuation of the last "Buy, Sell, or Hold!" simply because we needed to be able to update the prices on the first page, as it appeared Dragon has had more urgent priorities come up.

This game is a pseudo-stock market game based on "The Order of the Stick" comic, so if you don't read it, expect changes to occur without you really knowing why exactly. Either that, or I would suggest you begin reading the comic (It's really good). The prices are based on each organization's well-being and their chance of realistically reaching a goal. It does not matter if a company is lawful, chaotic, good, evil, or neutral. The goals they have are what determines their price. Also, we try to keep prices as final as possible once posted. It helps keep a measure of stability in this game, and stops everyone from complaining regarding past prices. As said below, PM us if you have problems with the prices, but please understand the current prices will probably stay the same. Your considerations will be taken into account for future prices however, and we will try to be as objective or fair as possible.

OOTS (Order of the Stick), HNJO (Hinjo, and because he's the ruler, Azure City), DOOM (Currently Xykon, Redcloak, and their minions), LIGD (Linear Guild), MIKO (The Uptight Paladin), and SNRL (The Big Danger trapped by the Gates)

We've officially moved over to the site (http://epmac.lpl.arizona.edu/oots/index.php) now.

I think the site's fairly straightforward. You buy and sell, with a small amount of money being taken for the transaction itself. You start off with a certain amount of stock market money. It is not actually connected to the town, and so town money and stock market gp do not mix or influence each other. There are a limited number of stocks on the market for each business, and so that will actually affect the price of the stock.

The market is frozen immediately when Rich posts that the new thread is up; a message from one of the board members (Raven T., Shoyligaud, or myself) will unfreeze it when I update this message with the new prices. I mostly run the game and the site now, but Raven and Shoyligaud still have some mod privileges. Mostly just address your problems, questions, and comments to me.

When the market freezes, you can post detailed information and evidence to support your suggestions as to what the prices should be, but try to keep it as objective as possible, and please do not post over and over during this time. We do take into account these considerations, and we enjoy reading them, but please do not expect us to agree completely with everything. The prices are determined by us in the end, and we try to be as fair as possible. Please don't complain about our decisions once they are made, since it is unlikely they will be changed, but as stated above PM us if it's a really gross miscalculation. If you have suggestions regarding prices, please post it during the suggestion/commentary period.

If you have any questions or problems with the game, PM the board members, and we'll try to get to you as soon as possible. We're usually on at least once a day.

Also, for now the three-post rule does not apply to the thread. We do expect you to keep it relatively spam-free so we don't have to continue making a new thread for this once we hit page 50. This thread is basically a discussion thread now that we've moved to the site. If you have a change in mind for how something should/can be done, PM me. If a change doesn't take effect immediately, please be patient with me, as it takes me some time before I'm able to get around to everything.

I think that's it, enjoy playing!

Tolkien_Freak
2007-05-25, 09:45 AM
Great, we needed another thread.

Are you sure you don't want stock prices to be primarily influenced by what's going on in the strip? If MIKO isn't doing anything, why should her stock go up high?

Raven T.
2007-05-25, 09:47 AM
They will be, but in the real world, stock prices rise and fall as their volume increases from people speculating. That is why this happens only once a week. If prices are going up too fast, we will adjust the "volume control" to keep things fair.

Tolkien_Freak
2007-05-25, 09:49 AM
Sounds good to me. So prices update in 2 days (today is Friday)?

Xykon_Fan
2007-05-25, 09:51 AM
The prices will update whenever Raven, Shoyligaud, and I can reach a consensus on the new comic, but the prices will be adjusted based on trading on Sunday. Does that make sense?

pathanos
2007-05-25, 09:56 AM
just to say im in and my shares are in my signature

Lavidor
2007-05-25, 09:56 AM
Ok, my stock is:
225 RDCL ($2925)
$25 on hand
Total: $2950 (nearly $3000 WOO-HOO)
Hmmm, +$1 for every 100 seems too much. Probably more like every 250. Can I continue helping with the prices? I did write the current ones.:cool:

OOTS_Rules.
2007-05-25, 10:07 AM
How about trying to influence by both comic events AND trade? For example, if Xykon dies, DOOM should go down in price, and same with HNJO if Hinjo dies. Stuff like, say, the PS3 bombing might affect Sony's real-world stocks, so Buy, Sell, or Hold should be affected by stuff like that as well.

pathanos
2007-05-25, 10:21 AM
one slight thing ...

If this is version 2 should EVERYONE be on level pegging i know with some this will be unpopular but it is fare to new players

Finaffin
2007-05-25, 10:41 AM
I will buy:
OOTS: 41
HNJO: 25
MIKO: 33
LIGD: 20

With $109 left.

chibibar
2007-05-25, 10:43 AM
1000$

current prices
OOTS 12$
HNJO 8$
DOOM 4$
LIGD 5$
MIKO 3$
SNRL 9$
RDCL 13$

Stock Purchases
50 Miko = 150$
100 HNJO = 800
10 LIGD = 50$

Total 1000$

Fitzclowningham
2007-05-25, 10:45 AM
I'm in:

MIKO - 200
LIGD - 50
SNRL - 16

Total: $994

Curunir
2007-05-25, 10:53 AM
I sell 100 RDCL for 1300$ and buy 100 OOTS for 1200$ and 20 DOOM for 80$ and 4 LIGD for 20$

Curent stock then:

100 OOTs = 1200$
64 LIGD = 320$
20 DOOM = 80$
TOTAL: 1500$

Asmodeus
2007-05-25, 10:59 AM
The current prices (5/25) are:
OOTS 12$
HNJO 8$
DOOM 4$
LIGD 5$
MIKO 3$
SNRL 9$
RDCL 13$

Time to join the market...

29 OOTS = $348 - Good long-term investment
39 HNJO = $312 - Prospected as being a big short-term gainer, but may take a dip before finally climbing back up.
00 DOOM = $0 - Prospected to take a big fall in the next few weeks, but will definetly make a come-back afterwards. Planning to buy stocks after the fall.
10 LIGD = $50 - Will hold for now. No major activity expected.
30 MIKO = $90 - Buy now while prices are low, expect major gains at some point in the future.
10 SNRL = $90 - Hedge-fund. If everything else fails, this will still let me retire comfortably.
20 RDCL = $260 - Has one last hurrah before being absorbed back into DOOM. Will try to make short-term gain, and sell out before this company is victim in hostile takeover.

Total invested = $1000

Xykon_Fan
2007-05-25, 11:30 AM
one slight thing ...

If this is version 2 should EVERYONE be on level pegging i know with some this will be unpopular but it is fare to new players

I would say it'd probably be somewhat unfair to kill everyone else's prices who've been around for a while. At the moment (not implying anything), this is not a competition game...That said, I personally think it would be cool if we had a goal, like $10,000 or something, and the first person to reach that wins. Then we start a new thread, and continue from there. That's my thought AS A PLAYER. We could give the person an award, and move on.

Also, stock prices will still be heavily based on the comic. I in no way meant to imply the trade-based adjustments would be the only factor.

happyturtle
2007-05-25, 11:32 AM
I'm in, and I believe in diversification. But I don't believe in god-killing abominations:

OOTS $12.00 x 51 = $612
HNJO $ 8.00 x 26 = $208
DOOM $ 4.00 x 05 = $ 20
LIGD $ 5.00 x 04 = $ 20
MIKO $ 3.00 x 25 = $ 75
SNRL $ 9.00 x 00 = $ 00
RDCL $13.00 x 05 = $ 65

total = $1000

I don't agree with volume being the only indicator. Volume could indicate a bunch of people dumping their stock, which would drive the price down.

Oops, just read that volume is not the only indicator, so ignore that.

GoC
2007-05-25, 11:46 AM
Previous stock:
332 MIKO 1992
80 OOTS 960
total=$2952

Crurrent stock:

112 OOTS Sold when OOTS starts kicking arse again
201 DOOM Sold when DOOM gets to the next gate or aquires something of worth

I'm in the top ten now!:smallcool:

ValceOfPersia
2007-05-25, 12:08 PM
Currently holding:

72 HNJO (576$)
471 MIKO (1413$)

Total: 1989$

Xykon_Fan
2007-05-25, 12:11 PM
Hey, GoC, I'm not sure if that was meant as contingency, but unfortunately (unless you want to hire someone, giving them a cut of your profits), you can't set systems like that. I'm not sure if that's what you meant, but just so you know, that is the way it works.

Raven T.
2007-05-25, 12:18 PM
I could be wrong, but it looks like he rearranged his portfolio and is stating what he's GOING to do, not what he's putting orders in for.

Twilight Jack
2007-05-25, 12:52 PM
I like the new rules, and I'm maintaining my current holdings for the time being.

Duke of URL
2007-05-25, 01:05 PM
What the hey... this could be interesting. I assume I'm to start with a 1000$ stake?

I'll go contrarian and take...

OOTS 16 @ 12$ ==> 192$
HNJO 26 @ 8$ ==> 208$
DOOM 150 @ 4$ ==> 600$

Leaving 0$ cash on hand.

Xykon_Fan
2007-05-25, 01:08 PM
Oh, okay, I'm sitting here thinking, "Do we have brokers suddenly?" (In which case I want one)

Sorry, GoC, no insult intended, just got confused.

EagleWiz
2007-05-25, 01:08 PM
115 DOOM
20 RDCL
30 OOTS

70 Left

Total: 1170$

There. Can we trade with other people or not?

teratorn
2007-05-25, 01:09 PM
I get to keep my stuff! Good old reliable Miko.

333 Miko ($999)
$1 left to spen.

She's bound to do something soon. I see that you plan updates "on occasion" or "Sunday". Please use occasion as often as possible. The problem with the Sunday price can be best seen with lower value stock like Miko. As soon as Miko does something prices go up, everyone sells, prices go down to near zero on Sunday, then everyone buys them again, prices skyrocket next sunday, everyone sells, prices go to nearly zero again next sunday etc, etc.

The occasion bit will put some randomness in this.

EagleWiz
2007-05-25, 01:11 PM
Oh i sell 20 RDCL for 260$
See, RDCL is winning FOR NOW. (Untill OOTS beats him) Seing as how he is going to have a drop in stock prices soon im selling these while im ahead.

And i buy 50 more doom for 200$.

What a deal. Then again knowing my luck Xykon dies next strip.
All though that would be fine, hes a lich.....

Xykon_Fan
2007-05-25, 01:15 PM
There. Can we trade with other people or not?

I'll see what the other members have to say...still, it doesn't seem like it would really be useful, unless we decided to have finite amounts of each stock, at which point trading would be useful, but that would require a much higher degree of complexity. Basically, all you'd have to do is sell your stock, and the other person buys the same amount. I guess you could give someone your stock, but there's not much point to any trading system. You may as well just buy from the main line...unless someone's giving you a fantastic deal.

Oh, and I'll see what they have to say about trade adjusting prices after each new strip, but you have to realize, that's a lot of time to sift through the various trades. In the future, please edit an original post for this last comic section instead of creating a new one for each transaction. Essentially, each time a new comic is out, create a new reply for that comic, and then if you decide to update or change something, just edit it. It should make it a lot easier to tabulate the total trading of a particular person.

Raven T.
2007-05-25, 01:21 PM
I see that you plan updates "on occasion" or "Sunday". Please use occasion as often as possible. The problem with the Sunday price can be best seen with lower value stock like Miko. As soon as Miko does something prices go up, everyone sells, prices go down to near zero on Sunday, then everyone buys them again, prices skyrocket next sunday, everyone sells, prices go to nearly zero again next sunday etc, etc.

The occasion bit will put some randomness in this.

Your point is valid, noted, and I have sent the others a message to it's regard. We should have an answer for you before the next comic update.

On another note, I doubt we will use data gathered from trades prior to the "transfer of power" into our hands.

LordVader
2007-05-25, 01:23 PM
70 Oots, 42 Rdcl.

teratorn
2007-05-25, 01:27 PM
Ok guys, when will these rules start to be put in place?

I think that there should be another rule. When selling people could not keep money, they have to buy, that is they can not keep more money than the cost of the action with the lowlest value.

Xykon_Fan
2007-05-25, 01:28 PM
You'll have to ask Raven, he's in charge of the Trade Adjusting unless Shoy. has a problem with it.

kjones
2007-05-25, 01:28 PM
This game looks fun. I'm in!

The "Good Guys" Portfolio:

HNJO 50 for $400: I'm banking on some shenanigans once they reach the catapult armory (as foreshadowed in #455).
OOTS 50 for $600: Always good for the long run; though this might not be the best time to invest since :roy: is dead, :durkon: and :vaarsuvius: are low on spells, :elan: is out of puns, :haley: can't do too much against hordes of hobbos, and :belkar: can't kill within the city walls... I'd rather get in on this sooner than later.

Total (5/25): $1000

Xykon_Fan
2007-05-25, 01:30 PM
Hmmm...maybe we should gather a list of players? I still say we should make this a competition to 10,000 dollars.

Raven T.
2007-05-25, 01:32 PM
As far as I'm concerned, the rules themselves went into effect as soon as the new thread was created. Trade adjustments will begin the comic after next (i.e. I will only be using data gathered between Trade Adjustment periods, disregarding it afterwards) to avoid having to go back through and tabulate all the trades already made.

Reposting my own portfolio:

15 OOTS
150 MIKO
53 LIGD
40 HNJO
$3 in pocket
Total Value: $1218

Edit: Why make it competitive? What prize can we offer? Why should it end at $10k?

Xykon_Fan
2007-05-25, 01:37 PM
Well, I figure by the time 10,000 bucks are made, everyone has astronomically high amounts of money, and a lot of the fun is in wagering a great deal of money and having risk involved...but if no one wants to, I'd be fine with keeping it the way it is.

Oh, and we could give the "Best Playground Stock Broker" award. You just ask someone to make a graphic, and then have the person take it into their sig. Kind of like "Best Playground Square Player," "Nominated Neutralest in the Playground," and all the other awards people have in their sigs. This way, there's real incentive.

Raven T.
2007-05-25, 01:39 PM
An interesting idea. All we need now is someone to design the award.

How about "Wisest Investor in the Playground" title instead? It just sounds better and there are no brokers, as you made mention several posts ago? How about upping the cash to $25k if people want to keep it going longer?

Xykon_Fan
2007-05-25, 01:40 PM
I say we have the people vote.

happyturtle
2007-05-25, 01:44 PM
I like t he competition idea. I don't do graphics, but an animated stock ticker gif would make a cute award.

Bel_Bel
2007-05-25, 02:02 PM
I'll buy:

DOOM: 100 shares = $400
OOTS: 50 shares = $600

Total Value: $1000

Lavidor
2007-05-25, 02:08 PM
one slight thing ...

Why? This isn't a new game, it's a continuation of the old one, just in a new thread so that the prices are on first page.

HomerHT
2007-05-25, 02:18 PM
OOTS 12$
HNJO 8$
DOOM 4$
LIGD 5$
MIKO 3$
SNRL 9$
RDCL 13$

30 OOTS = 360 (A sure fire stock that will skyrocket once their CEO is revived)
30 HNJO = 240 (Azure City's new management has nowhere to go but up once they get out of this minor slip)
30 MIKO = 90 (MIKO has surely had some setbacks, but look for big things around the same time LIGD is on the rise and RDCL is on the fall)
25 LIGD = 125 (Despite recent business practices, I see these guys coming back big in the future)
20 SNRL = 180 (Been quiet for a while, but has huge potential)

And $5 in my pocket. I'll be hitting up the Wendy's dollar menu if anyone needs me :smallbiggrin:

Oh, and why don't we just have a bunch of prizes? One for 10k, 25k, 50k, 100k, so on and so forth. That way the game can continue until we decide that hundreds of thousands of shares isn't what we originally wanted or whatever. Have it go on indefinitely until we all decide to reset the market.

Shoyliguad
2007-05-25, 02:43 PM
I like the idea of the awards and they would be for different things, Best investor, Evil Investor of the month and vice versa, etc etc we will get a complete list of different prizes and I'm sure we can reach some sort of concensus.

Meynolds
2007-05-25, 02:44 PM
Selling all stocks to buy 283 shares of MIKO.

383 Shares MIKO ($1149)
Total: $1149
Spare Change: $1

Curunir
2007-05-25, 03:06 PM
I like the awards idea.

Shoyliguad said:
I like the idea of the awards and they would be for different things, Best investor, Evil Investor of the month and vice versa, etc etc we will get a complete list of different prizes and I'm sure we can reach some sort of concensus.

I second that. Who will manage these?

And I think that list o players would be nice too.

Xykon_Fan
2007-05-25, 03:09 PM
The board can easily come up with award titles, but I suggest there be only one "first to get to $x amount" award, since that person is likely to get the next one, since they can invest so much in it and they have a head start.

Raven T.
2007-05-25, 03:14 PM
I would like to suggest that we get some assistance with a players list, especially if you expect updated totals with that. I do not have the time, nor patience, to sit around and wait for people to make their trades.

Edit: one more note: when the new comic goes up, I (or another board member) will be putting a note up that we are closing trades a la what they do in the SMBG threads. While we are on the honor system, this is mostly to help keep us honest.

And I swear that I will not resort to underhanded tactics like changing my stocks right before closing.

Lizard Lord
2007-05-25, 03:14 PM
RDCL: 1 ($13)
OOTS: 1 ($12)
DOOM: 1 ($4)
LIGD: 1 ($5)
MIKO: 1 ($3)
SNRL: 1 ($9)

$954 leftover for whatever the heck I feel like using them on.

Curunir
2007-05-25, 03:28 PM
Okei, I can do the list. But I promise nothing before monday as I'm not at home and my internet is unstable. I'll take everyone from both threads and theire curent networth and post it here. (And I hope I have time to keep it up to date)

teratorn
2007-05-25, 03:36 PM
$954 leftover for whatever the heck I feel like using them on.

As I said in a previous post I don't think people should be allowed to keep money, except the 1 or 2 $ not worth a share.

Studoku
2007-05-25, 03:51 PM
I've been playing in the last round. My portfolio is in my sig.

Twilight Jack
2007-05-25, 04:47 PM
As I said in a previous post I don't think people should be allowed to keep money, except the 1 or 2 $ not worth a share.

I don't think it does any harm. The only thing anyone gains by not investing their money is the absence of risk. They get to keep their cash, but they don't make any more. I think it's a valid way of going about things if you're about to make a risky investment and want to be able to keep playing if you crash and burn. On the other hand, you'll never make as much cash as you would if you invested every penny wisely.

Gaelbert
2007-05-25, 05:02 PM
50 OOTS
50 MIKO
25 DOOM
20 LIGD

Cash left: $50

Electric_Monkey
2007-05-25, 05:14 PM
I've decided to demonstrate why my money's in deposit accounts.

Here's a repeat of my initial investments
OOTS $12*40 - $480 -> Sticco's strong history marks them as a contender for the long term. Their current difficulties, including the departure of their CEO and the exhaustion of their more promising product lines suggest that the price may yet go lower before the inevitable rally
RDCL $13*10 - $130 ->Redcloak Enterprises has clearly got off to a strong start, but I suspect that they might be close to peaking. I am prepared to gamble
HNJO $8*15 - $120 ->Azure Corp has been able to resist the EvilInc/Redcloak takeover bid for a a surprisingly long time - thanks largely to strong support from Sticco and the original founder. With the management forced to focus on fending off the acquisition, their basic business has suffered. They may be due a rally but long term prospects look bleak.
DOOM $4*30 - $120 ->Nothing if not resilient, Evil Inc has recovered from commercial death at least twice so far. This might be their toughest test yet, but if the stock rebounds, an investment in Evil Inc could pay handsomely
MIKO $3*50 - $150->Although Miko Ltd. has recently seen the failure of several key product lines, the existing business model offers promising opportunities to diversify into the redemption or blackguard markets.
Cash - not a bean

Net worth $1000

Ladorak
2007-05-25, 05:35 PM
I'm in, looks like fun...

50 OotS
2 LIGD
30 RDCl

Total value: $1000

Tolkien_Freak
2007-05-25, 08:46 PM
Suggestion: Why don't you post a 'new prices are up' post whenever you update it, to pull the thread back to the top?

Raven T.
2007-05-25, 08:59 PM
I believe we will likely do just that, mostly because I do not have a way to edit Xykon_Fan's post in the even that I wind up doing an update.

RedTopHat
2007-05-25, 09:29 PM
OOTS: 45 ($495)
DOOM: 30 ($310)
RDCL: 20 ($140)
LIGD: 11 ($55)

Total: 1000

Here's my stocks from last time.

I can't wait for an update.

Edit: Spelling

DrivinAllNight
2007-05-25, 09:48 PM
What I started with from the old post -
RDCL at 7$
OOTS at 11$
MIKO at 3$

50 Shares of RDCL - Total $350
50 Shares of OotS - Total $550
33 Shares of MIKO - Total $99
gave me stocks of $999 and 1 lone dollar so not totally broke :smallsmile:

Now prices 5/25/07
HNJO 8$
DOOM 4$
LIGD 5$
MIKO 3$
SNRL 9$
RDCL 13$
OOTS 12$

So now my stock is worth
50 OOTS is now $600
50 RDCL is now $650
33 MIKO is still $99

Now I sell 40 RDCL for $520
and buy 30 HNJO for $240
and buy 70 DOOM for $280

as of now this leaves me with:
50 OOTS at 12$ is a value of $600
10 RDCL at 13$ is a value of $130
33 MIKO at 3$ is a Value of $99
30 HNJO at 8$ is a value of $240
70 DOOM at 4$ is a value of $280
and 1 lone dollar leftover so not totally broke. :smallsmile:
total value = $1349 stocks, and $1 leftover

rankrath
2007-05-25, 09:48 PM
ok, now we're back on track. my options are;

40 RDCL: $520
30 OOTS: $360
40 LIGD: $200
40 HIJO: $320

Total worth: 1400
COH: $49

Lizard Lord
2007-05-25, 10:18 PM
Alright. whatever I will adjust what I have.

I just didn't know who to vote for.

OOTS:11 ($132)
HNJO 11 ($88)
DOOM:11 ($44)
LIGD:47 ($235)
MIKO:4 ($12)
SNRL:11 ($99)
RDCL:30 ($390)

Khaldan
2007-05-25, 10:29 PM
starting money: $1000
buying 250 DOOM-$1000
end money $0

Kamakazee_Gnome
2007-05-26, 12:01 AM
I currently have:
50 OOTS
30 MIKO

$450 cash (profited off the HNJO stocks before)

I'm leaving this as it is, for now.

DeadMech
2007-05-26, 12:14 AM
151 MIKO at $3 a share (no change)
51 LIGD at $5 a share (no change)
17 OOTS at $12 a share (+17)
15 RDCL at $13 a share (+90)
$1107 worth

I think I'm simply going to hold my stocks. While I believe RDCL used more resources than they should have in their latest high risk venture I don't believe they have peaked yet. If they have I know that I made a fair profit off them and that should offset any lost ground.

OOTS seems a bit inflated to me but there isn't much else to trust.

MIKO and LIGD will shoot for the moon the moment they reappear on the global market but they are tying up a large enough amount of my capitol as it is.

Angafirith
2007-05-26, 12:15 AM
From last thread:

333 Miko
$1 left

Holding.

Eco-Mono
2007-05-26, 12:42 AM
As a heavy investor in DOOM, I'm somewhat miffed that the firm is down three points on no news. However, like any savvy stockholder I'll count my blessings and forge ahead :)

My Portfolio
DOOM 90 shares
MIKO 90 shares
$100 liquid assets

Xykon_Fan
2007-05-26, 01:05 AM
Sorry, but that's where DOOM should have been the whole time. As soon as the system has been in place for a while (under the new management), things should settle down a little bit.

Emperor Ing
2007-05-26, 04:17 AM
Holding and buying 10 doom

MIKO 20 $0120
OOTS 20: $0240
DOOM 40: $0320
SOLD: $0880
COMBINED: $1340
LEFTOVER: $0000
ABSOLUTE TOTAL: $1420

Xect
2007-05-26, 04:53 AM
It's 1000$ as a standard starting sum, right?

I'll start out by grabbing 125 shares in HNJO. My gut tells me a major announcement is coming up shortly.

Aaron Smith
2007-05-26, 05:24 AM
Notice of buying in. I posted in the old thread. I've got -

166 shares of MIKO
100 shares of LIGD

kerberos
2007-05-26, 05:38 AM
We have 1000$ right? I will buy 200 miko and 80 LIGD miroring my purchases from the last thread

Ink
2007-05-26, 07:44 AM
Just posting my portfolio from the previous thread.

10 OOTS - $120
10 HNJO - $80
160 MIKO - $480
20 DOOM - $80
52 LIGD - $260

Net Worth - $1020
Cash - $0

TenebralSeraph
2007-05-26, 10:57 AM
Assuming the current prices as:
OOTS 12$
HNJO 8$
DOOM 4$
LIGD 5$
MIKO 3$
SNRL 9$
RDCL 13$

I'll take
38 RDCL ($494)
113 DOOM($452)
Totalling $946
With $54 left to spend.

drkmirror
2007-05-26, 11:30 AM
20 Oots
18 Hnjo
19 Doom
18 Ligd
18 Miko
18 Snrl
18 Rdcl

Archonic Energy
2007-05-26, 11:43 AM
as stated in previous thread

buy 83 OOTS @ $12
buy 1 MIKO @ $3

hard cash remaining = $1

Curunir
2007-05-26, 11:45 AM
As the end of a market day draws near, I am pleased to give you the list of players with current networth. There should be everyone from this thread.
If your stock prices change I will not automaticaly refresh your networth: I think I'd go crazy, your networth will be updated when youchange your shares in this post. I there are mistakes, then let me know:

List of players before comic 457:

Lavidor: $2950
ValceOfPersia: $1989
Aegeus: $1638
Curunir; $1500
GoC: $1417
rankrath: 1400
LordVader: $1386
DrivinAllNight: $1350
Raven T.: $1218
The Randomizer: $1180
EagleWiz: $1170
Meynolds: $1149
Kamakazee_Gnome: $1140
DeadMech: $1107
Tolkien_Freak: $1,034
Ink: $1020
TenebralSeraph: $1000
kerberos: $1000
Aaron Smith: $1000
Xect: 1000$
Khaldan: $1000
Angafirith: $1000
kjones: $1000
Bel_Bel: $1000
HomerHT: $1000
Lizard Lord: $1000
coolgaelbert: $1000
Electric_Monkey: 1000
Ladorak: $1000
pathanos: $1000
RedTopHat: $1000
teratorn: $1000
Finaffin: $1000
chibibar: $1000
Asmodeus: $1000
happyturtle: $1000
Duke of URL: $1000
drkmirror: $1000
Archonic Energy: $1000
Fitzclowningham: $994
Lizard Lord: $980
Xykon_Fan: $856
Eco-Mono: $640

Xykon_Fan
2007-05-26, 11:47 AM
Thanks, WAY better than the one I have up right now. I'm gonna copy/paste it into the first, and I'll try to do that once each week, alright?

Raven T.
2007-05-26, 12:18 PM
All Trades Frozen

Trading will resume when the prices are updated, likely later today.

Ink
2007-05-26, 12:37 PM
^^^ Heheh, not the Forbes Rich List maybe, but looks like we have a GitP Rich List now. You folks, from Lavidor down to EagleWiz, you guys are the top ten richest people in the playground. Huzzah, I'm fourteenth!

Tolkien_Freak
2007-05-26, 12:44 PM
JSYK, I'm not on the list. (Portfolio in sig.)

Aegeus
2007-05-26, 12:46 PM
My stocks carry over from the previous thread, right?
My current portfolio is in my sig. I'll be keeping my current stocks, because I think that RDCL will still climb a bit higher right now.

Curunir
2007-05-26, 12:54 PM
Tolkien_Freak and Aegeus added to my list. Xkon_fan can update the first post.

I'll update the list atleast once a week but when I have time I'll do it in the end of each market day (before the new prices)

Xykon_Fan
2007-05-26, 01:29 PM
Feel free to call me XF, it's a heck of a lot faster than typing out my full name...and that underscore's a pain.

Oh, and list's updated, I think.

Tolkien_Freak
2007-05-26, 01:39 PM
The list is identical, it didn't work.

Xykon_Fan
2007-05-26, 03:53 PM
Ummm...are you sure? 'Cuz now you and Aegus have been added.

Tolkien_Freak
2007-05-26, 04:07 PM
Ummm...are you sure? 'Cuz now you and Aegus have been added.

Oops, I meant prices. NVM.

Xykon_Fan
2007-05-26, 04:10 PM
Oh, okay, sorry. Yeah, as soon as we can, we'll update them...at least by the end of today.

happyturtle
2007-05-26, 04:51 PM
Seems to be some conflict between DOOM and RDCL, with the CEO of RDCL basically saying the CEO of DOOM is an idiot. I wonder how that will affect prices? And of course the new DOOM hire has been hung out to dry. Will she make the most of the crisis as an opportunity to prove her worth?

EagleWiz
2007-05-26, 05:35 PM
In my opinion not much changed.

kjones
2007-05-26, 06:16 PM
IMHO, in the next round, RDCL, HNJO, and OOTS will increase, while DOOM and SNRL will decrease. LNGD and MIKO will be unchanged.

Oh, if only I could buy, buy, buy!

Meta-betting, anyone? :smalltongue:

Raven T.
2007-05-26, 11:17 PM
We apologize for the delay, but the third member of the board has not checked in and put his input in. We do appreciate your continued patience. If push comes to shove tomorrow afternoon, we will post what Xykon_Fan and I have already agreed on.

Lavidor
2007-05-27, 05:17 AM
We apologize for the delay, but the third member of the board has not checked in and put his input in. We do appreciate your continued patience. If push comes to shove tomorrow afternoon, we will post what Xykon_Fan and I have already agreed on.

Have you already taken into account the $1 per 250 thing?

Crabapple
2007-05-27, 05:26 AM
this is a repost, therefor I am not really buying or selling, i am just stating what i have, adjusted for new prices

RDCL 70 * 13 = 910
DOOM 50 * 4 = 200

total value 1110
money not invested: 160
Total wealth: 1270

happyturtle
2007-05-27, 05:36 AM
I just realized... we're trading in the wrong currency. Shouldn't our stocks be valued in gold pieces rather than dollars?

teratorn
2007-05-27, 05:50 AM
I just realized... we're trading in the wrong currency. Shouldn't our stocks be valued in gold pieces rather than dollars?

Yes, I wondered about that too. I plan to leave when I get 5,000 gp (that I'll then use to buy diamonds). I agree that gp makes more sense, after all what is this US people talk about and is written in your currency?

Raven T.
2007-05-27, 08:26 AM
@ Lavidor: No. I will not be taking it into account until trading opens...right about...NOW!

OOTS 12$ (Holding steady thanks to discretion being the better part of valor)
HNJO 7$ (With the loss of middle and upper management to Goblin Industries, the company is barely holding it together)
DOOM 3$ (Evil, Inc. has lost it's last asset, leaving the CEO alone to fend for himself...expect to see them bought out by Goblin Industries.)
LIGD 5$ (No changes yet)
MIKO 3$ (No changes yet)
SNRL 9$ (No changes yet)
RDCL 15$ (Goblin Industries continues it's hostile takeover of Hinjo and Co. continues, but how long will it keep going?)

Ladies and gentlemen, begin trading!

Raistlin1040
2007-05-27, 08:29 AM
Joining.

I'll take 75 OotS and 20 LIGD

Ladorak
2007-05-27, 08:33 AM
No changes, merely adjusting net worth:smallbiggrin:

happyturtle
2007-05-27, 08:42 AM
I'm down to 979gp. But I'm bullish on HNJO, and I haven't given up on DOOM's new hire, so no changes.

Raven T.
2007-05-27, 08:47 AM
Well, I lost $40 on my HNJO stock, but it has to go up.

Doesn't it?

Lavidor
2007-05-27, 08:58 AM
I think RDCL will shortly be going down/joining DOOM/both. I'm selling 225 RDCL for 3375 gp and then there's 25 gp on hand, making 3400 gp. Now, what stock to get:

OOTS 12$ I prefer fast payoff.
HNJO 7$ Seems to be doing badly.
DOOM 3$ No way, no how.
LIGD 5$ Could be, bit too expensive for real mass for multipleing payoff.
MIKO 3$ Same chances as LIGD, but cheap enough for real mass.
SNRL 9$ No good
RDCL 15$ I just sold it.

So:
225 RDCL sold for 3375 gp.
1120 MIKO bought for 3360 gp.
Leaving 40 gp in hand (Invested in LVDR).
Total: 3400 gp :reallybiggrin:Aww, no really big grin. :biggrin:

teratorn
2007-05-27, 09:29 AM
1120 MIKO bought for 3360 gp.
Leaving 40 gp in hand (Invested in LVDR).

Ok guys we need to stop Lavidor from running a cheap trick here. I have 333 Miko shares I am willing to put in the market if other people are willing to join me. We need to put more than 1120 shares. We could make some money from this (shares will go up 4 gp) but then Lavidor makes 4400 gp. We need to do it fast though. Who's joining me?

By the way, we should impose a limit on time between transactions. Let's say we can only buy and sell once between strips (since no one has done that more than once yet it's not changing the rules).

happyturtle
2007-05-27, 10:29 AM
I'm okay with one transaction post between slips, but I'm hanging onto my MIKO shares.

teratorn
2007-05-27, 10:53 AM
I'm okay with one transaction post between slips, but I'm hanging onto my MIKO shares.

The thing is that either we stop this now or the game is over. After the next round Lavidor will have 8,000 gp, will sell his Miko shares and buy something like 2,000 DOOM shares. Those will increase in value by 8 gp each and he will sell them to make 24,000 gp. Then he will buy something like 8,000 Mikos (they will be around 3 gp). They will increase by 32 gp each, so he'll make 250,000 gp at the end of that turn, and get to a few millions in the following round.

Since the 1 gp per 250 shares is not in practice yet I propose:

1) we delay it until next round
2) impose a limit of one transaction per round (it also makes it easier on the mods)
3) no one can buy or sell more than 200 shares of a given type in one turn (a single person can not change the price)
4) if a share value goes below zero the player has to pay and give up the shares (the mods then put the tittle in the market later with a different value).

If the mods think this is ok we can ping them with our vote yes or no in each point. It's the only way to get this thing going for some time.

Xykon_Fan
2007-05-27, 10:55 AM
I'd go for it, if you send me PMs I'll compile a list of how many votes are for each thing. Just send me a PM saying: "I want Rules (....) and (....) instated."

I'll close down the voting system tomorrow.

Oh, and this is why I said we should reset every once in a while. I'd also think about reducing starting gold.

teratorn
2007-05-27, 11:06 AM
By the way, rule 4) is just to prevent people from holding too many low value shares. It's a risk.

happyturtle
2007-05-27, 11:21 AM
A logical place to reset would be at the end of a story arc, but that might be longer than you were thinking.

Is MIKO really going to end up worth 32gp a share in two rounds with her offscreen? That seems wacked. Maybe instead of 1gp per 250 shares traded, it should be 1% of the share price per 250 shares traded.

I don't understand proposed rule 4.

rankrath
2007-05-27, 11:31 AM
eh, no real change I'm selling half my HIJO for $140, and buying 12 OOTS for $144

My holdings:
40 RDCL: $600
42 OOTS: $504
40 LIGD: $200
20 HIJO: $140
Net Worth: $1444
COH: $36

Lavidor
2007-05-27, 11:37 AM
The thing is that either we stop this now or the game is over. After the next round Lavidor will have 8,000 gp, will sell his Miko shares and buy something like 2,000 DOOM shares. Those will increase in value by 8 gp each and he will sell them to make 24,000 gp. Then he will buy something like 8,000 Mikos (they will be around 3 gp). They will increase by 32 gp each, so he'll make 250,000 gp at the end of that turn, and get to a few millions in the following round.

Since the 1 gp per 250 shares is not in practice yet I propose:

1) we delay it until next round
2) impose a limit of one transaction per round (it also makes it easier on the mods)
3) no one can buy or sell more than 200 shares of a given type in one turn (a single person can not change the price)
4) if a share value goes below zero the player has to pay and give up the shares (the mods then put the tittle in the market later with a different value).

If the mods think this is ok we can ping them with our vote yes or no in each point. It's the only way to get this thing going for some time.

Oh. I didn't realize that. I'll be happy to sell some of the MIKO stock. Not all of it because you can't stop me from having the stocks I want.
Sell 500 MIKO for 1500 gp.
Buy 300 LIGD for 1500 gp.
40 gp, 620 MIKO and 300 LIGD
Total: 3400 gp.
FYI it is going to go on after 10,000 gp, just someone gets a prize.

Edit: A way to get rid of the loophole is to get rid of +1 gp per 250, as its only there for realism and opens nasty loopholes.(but if we do that, I want my MIKO back.)

kjones
2007-05-27, 11:42 AM
Okay, so I had three correct predictions, and three incorrect ones... My powers of prediction are just as good as, well, guessing randomly.

:smallbiggrin:

moleytov
2007-05-27, 11:48 AM
Just P.m'd - new in with:

50 OOTS - $600
50 LIGD - $250
50 MIKO - $150
---
Shares:$1000
Funds:$0

Gaelbert
2007-05-27, 11:54 AM
I buy 7 HNJO for $49, to leave me with:
50 OOTS
50 MIKO
25 DOOM
20 LIGD
7 HNJO
Cash Left: $1

teratorn
2007-05-27, 11:54 AM
I don't understand proposed rule 4.

Let's say you own 100 Miko shares and they go to -1 gp. Miko goes out of business and as a shareholder you need to cover the losses, that is pay 100 gp by selling other stuff from your portfolio. We have no rules about that situation.

And yes Miko shares can go up very fast. 1,000 shares were already bought that mean 4 gp. Let's say that you see they are going up and as such you buy 300 more Mikos and 9 people sell their actions to buy also 300 Miko. That means that instead of 4 gp Miko would increase 16 gp per share next round, that is it would go from 3 to 19. Then you guys sell those 4000 shares making a total of 76000 gp and lowering the price again to 3g per share. Next round you have money to buy 25,000 shares meaning the price goes up to 103 gp per share!!!!

As I proposed this is still possible, the only way to really prevent it would be to have the prices going up less than they go down.

Lavidor
2007-05-27, 11:57 AM
Did you ignore my last post? Look at it.

teratorn
2007-05-27, 12:07 PM
Did you ignore my last post? Look at it.

It doesn't matter, anyone able to buy 250 shares can do this kind of thing. I just used you as an example because you have more money and if you wanted to win we could not stop you by next round. Basically you just don't win if you don't want to. It's not cheating or nothing like that, it's just a weakness in the rules.

moleytov
2007-05-27, 01:26 PM
perhaps having a transaction cost for buying/selling larger amounts of shares?

the only way to really prevent it would be to have the prices going up less than they go downthis would be a good way to deal with it.

basically, you need someway to cause the overall devaluation of shares, since just with new people joing, the cost of shares is going to go down.

DCrane1
2007-05-27, 01:39 PM
I'll join.

250 shares of DOOM at $3 each for $750.
50 shares of MIKO at $3 each for $150.
20 shares of LIGD at $5 each for $100.

This uses up the entirety of my $1000.

ObsidianRose
2007-05-27, 01:47 PM
Started with

HNJO 50
OOTS 25
MIKO 25

Selling 25 OOTS at $12 apiece for a total of $300. Using that $300 to buy 42 of HNJO for $294 and 2 Miko for $6. New portfolio is

HNJO 92
MIKO 27
With a netvalue of $725. Sticking with HNJO until the end

Crabapple
2007-05-27, 02:35 PM
Current
RDCL 70 * 15 = 1050
DOOM 50 * 3 = 150
money not invested: 160

buying 50 DOOM for 150

After changes
RDCL 70 * 15 = 1050
DOOM 100 * 3 = 300
money not invested: 10

total wealth: 1360

Raven T.
2007-05-27, 02:53 PM
I had suspected that people would still be able to manipulate the system as such. It pains me to think that people would abuse the system, designed to mimic the real market, but it is apparent that we are going to have to remove the increases from volume. Lavidor, if you want, you can change back, as I do not believe you were doing it to abuse the system, however, the potential for more...unscrupulous members to do this is too great.

Odds are, that rule will be repealed. We thank you all for your feedback, both those who have chimed in and those to come. I would like some suggestions as to if there is a better way to implement a similar system for realism purposes.

Miklus
2007-05-27, 04:25 PM
Well, I still have my:
300 shares of MIKO @ $3 = $900
20 shares of LIGD @ $5 = $100

They're both going nowhere fast, but I'll keep them anyway. Come on prison break!

Tolkien_Freak
2007-05-27, 04:41 PM
Selling my last 10 shares of DOOM, for a total of $30. Spending 24 of that on 2 OOTS, and 6 on 2 MIKO.

End result:
OOTS: 17
HNJO: 20
DOOM:0
LIGD: 0
MIKO: 3
SNRL: 0
RDCL: 50
Net value: 1,103
again, $1 in pocket.

drkmirror
2007-05-27, 04:58 PM
Sold Every Thing and put it all into

DOOM 333 @ ( 999gp )

I smell a comeback
or I'm an idiot 50 50 chance of each :smallbiggrin:

Denalid
2007-05-27, 05:22 PM
I don't think I'm on the list yet, but here are my assets from the other thread:

Cash: $530
Portfolio:
OOTS 10 (Value $120)
LIGD 10 (Value $50)
MIKO 100 (Value $300)

Net Worth: $1000

No transactions today.

By the way, I think the problem is not really with the fact that transactions change the value of a stock. The problem is one of scale. If we start out with 1000 gp and it only takes 750 gp to change the value of a stock (i.e. MIKO), then anyone can change the stock in a single week, and all it takes is several people at once doing it to ruin the whole game.

The only easy fix is to make the change much less, maybe by using sp instead of gp. You could also say that a much larger number of transactions are necessary for the change, but we might not have enough people to ever see the rule come into effect in that case.

Finaffin
2007-05-27, 07:38 PM
My net worth is currently: $975

OOTS: 41*12 = 492
HNJO: 25*7 = 175
MIKO: 33*3 = 99
LIGD: 20*5 = 100
Cash on hand: 109

Xykon_Fan
2007-05-27, 08:11 PM
I like the idea of changing the ratio...that is actually why I put "current trade adjustment." I expected it to change. So, anyway, we definitely have enough people to warrant significantly higher exchange ratios. I'd say 1:1000 to start with.

Raven T.
2007-05-27, 08:14 PM
We might wind up raising it even further: consider that people keep coming in and buying and the fact that our scale is already small as far as the prices go as is.

Ikol_777
2007-05-27, 09:23 PM
I would like to join.

start at 1000 gp

Buying
HNJO 39 (251 GP)
DOOM 151 (453 GP)
LIGD 24 (120 GP)
MIKO 51 (150 GP)
RESERVE 1 GP
NET 1000 GP

kirbsys
2007-05-27, 10:40 PM
Right I'll buy in.

DOOM: 300 shares (I'm hoping for a comeback)
OOTS: 8 shares (They're the heroes, they'll stay good)
MIKO: 1 share (What can I say, they're cheap)

In hand: $1

teratorn
2007-05-27, 11:48 PM
I'll just diversify a little my portfolio

Sell
100 from my 333 Miko shares at 3 gp each for a total of 300 gp.
sales total: 300 gp

Buy
20 DOOM at 3 gp each for a total of 60 gp
10 OOTS at 12 gp each for a total of 120 gp
17 HNJO at 7 gp each for a total 119 gp
total bought: 299 gp

Holdings
233 MIKO (699 gp)
10 OOTS (120 gp)
17 HNJO (119 gp)
20 DOOM (60 gp)
Cash: 2gp
Total: 1,000 gp

DeadMech
2007-05-28, 12:21 AM
151 MIKO at 3GP a share (no change)
51 LIGD at 5GP a share (no change)
17 OOTS at 12GP a share (no change)
15 RDCL at 15GP a share (+30)
$1137 total

I think I will continue to hold. I feel RDCL about to drop a few points sometime in the future though.

pathanos
2007-05-28, 05:11 AM
just to update i went up 5$!!!!!

Lavidor
2007-05-28, 06:22 AM
I have another idea about the loophole. Change it from 250 stocks to (for example) 2000 gp paid on a stock. You could even make it higher if you want.

Hiruma
2007-05-28, 06:37 AM
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2575477&postcount=93

Sell all my RDCL shares for 15$ each for 1500 dollars.

Buy 214 HNJO shares for 1498 dollars.

214 + 23 = 237 HNJO shares.

$3 in the bank.

$1662 total. Expecting my shares to jump after market update tonight.

Asmodeus
2007-05-28, 07:02 AM
Time for another report from the independent research firm, Lawful Evil Overlords.

Last week, we predicted that HNJO would take a dip before making a strong comeback. So far, our prediction is holding, as HNJO takes a small downturn this week. Our research panel is split down the middle on whether this is the end of the dip, or if there is one more strip to ride out. Asmodeus, CEO of ABYS, and his followers think that now is the time to buy, but his main competitor, Mephistopheles says hold out for one more strip, then jump in head-first. Only the future will tell which side is right.

We also predicted that Evil Inc. (DOOM) was set to take a big fall in the coming weeks. It hasn't happened yet, but we've rechecked every Magic 8-ball in the office, and we are pretty confident that this prediction will hold water. We just need some rain to find out!

Our final highlight from last week is on the newcomer, Redcloak Industries. This little fireball of a company is making steady strides, but no one is willing to make a long-term investment. It seems like every devil we asked wants to make short-term gain and then jump-ship before she capsizes. A real gamble staying with RDCL for much longer. Our recommendation is to hold out for as long as you can, and then trade all your shares of RDCL in for shares of DOOM industries, which is the most likely company to try and bail a floundering RDCL out, once the bottom falls out. If that happens after DOOM takes their big fall, except major gains in your shares of DOOM.

For those interested in longterm strategies, OOTS still remains our #1 pick for extended investors, with MIKO making a strong showing in second. Prices for MIKO are at a low, so now is a good time to buy.

=================================

Portfolio changes:

SELL 10 shares of LIGD, gain $50.
BUY 7 shares of HNJO, spend $49.

Current Portfolio:

46 HNJO = $322 - Expecting a resurgence any day now. Buy now while prices are down.
00 DOOM = $0 - Prospected to take a big fall in the next few weeks, but will definetly make a come-back afterwards. Planning to buy stocks after the fall.
00 LIGD = $0 - Will hold for now. No major activity expected.
30 MIKO = $90 - Buy now while prices are low, expect major gains at some point in the future.
10 SNRL = $90 - Hedge-fund. If everything else fails, this will still let me retire comfortably.
20 RDCL = $300 - Has one last hurrah before being absorbed back into DOOM. Will try to make short-term gain, and sell out before this company is victim in hostile takeover.

Pocket = $1

Total = $1151

Fraz-Urb'luu
2007-05-28, 12:46 PM
I'll join.

Ok, so I start with $1000...
I'll buy:

100 MIKO ($300)
77 SNRL ($693)
And, 1 HNJO ($7)
Money in bank: $0

Garian
2007-05-28, 12:47 PM
Ok, I am starting.
I will take
200 in cost 600) DOOM
23 in (cost 161) OOTS
30 in (cost 90) MIKO
and 29 (cost 145) in LIGD.
With 4$ left.:smallbiggrin:

Electric_Monkey
2007-05-28, 12:53 PM
Okay, I'm down on the first comic - my impression of where all the companies are headed remains the same - I'll hold.

Logos7
2007-05-28, 01:15 PM
Hey All,

From Last Thread

Buying in on 12th Prices ( Bought on the 14th for sticklers)

Buying 100 Shares of RDCL
Buying 21 Shares of SNRL

6 Bux left

Current Prices RDCL 15 SNRL 9

Selling 40 Shares of RDCL for 600 Buying 33 More SNRL Buying 100 DOOM Selling 4 SNRL for 36 Buying 15 DOOM

Currently Holding 60 Shares of RDCL, 50 Shares of SNRL 115 DOOM
(1731 i think)

I see good things coming Snarls and Kykons Way Way

teratorn
2007-05-28, 01:49 PM
I have another idea about the loophole. Change it from 250 stocks to (for example) 2000 gp paid on a stock. You could even make it higher if you want.

It would not work, in fact, what is now possible with Miko with be possible with any other stock. The best option is what Happyturtle proposed, use not total number but relative change. I'll run a few simulations that we can use for future reference. I think that for now the best option is for the mods to limit the number of shares we can buy or sell to a certain number (that they decide in each round, I proposed 200 in the vote but that's just a number).

I know all of this is a bit unfair, It's not your fault that we didn't invest in the right stuff.

moleytov
2007-05-28, 02:27 PM
Do new players first purchases count towards the change in stock value? with the rate new players are coming into the game at the moment prices on certain low stock are going to artificially rocket due to these new investors taking advantage of the current extreme Hi RDCL - Lo MIKO/DOOM/OOTS(lesser) climate.

teratorn
2007-05-28, 02:40 PM
Do new players first purchases count towards the change in stock value?

I don't think they should. But that's up to the mods. I feel like we are updating to version Beta of the thing (Lavidor sort of won version alpha). It's up to the mods to bring some balance until we have stable rules.

Lasada1984
2007-05-28, 03:02 PM
This looks interesting. I'd like to join.

1,000 start value.

53 Miko stock (good investment for now. 159 dollars)
50 LIGD stock. (ibid. 250 dollars)
50 Hnjo. (I think will be going up soon... 350 dollars)
20 OOTs Stock (A good long term winner. 240 dollars.)

1 dollar left over

Xykon_Fan
2007-05-28, 03:03 PM
Hey guys, sorry for the silence on this subject...I've been spending the day with my family to some degree. We're watching Lake Placid right now (Very funny B suspense thriller - Not for young viewers; pretty gory).

Either way, we're trying to talk to each other about the trade adjustments and whether we should scrap the idea. We may have stumbled onto a solution with a player who has been chatting with me. I don't know, we'll see if we keep them, do you guys want them in the game if we could fix them?

Raven T.
2007-05-28, 03:27 PM
Unfortunately, with the institution of these rules, we are being forced to basically "beta test" on the fly. Some things work, others don't. I'm hoping we can come to an answer before we decide stock prices for today's comic.

AyuVince
2007-05-28, 03:46 PM
Buying 50 OOTS and 20 HNJO. DOOM looks pretty bleak right now. RDCL, on the other hand, is incredibly successful at the moment, but their CEO is trying to enter politics, and that won't do any good to their market value.

50 OOTS for $12 apiece: 600$
20 HNJO for $8 apiece: 160$

Which leaves me with 240$.

PastePotPete
2007-05-28, 04:04 PM
Think I'll hop in to this game by buying 333 shares of DOOM leaving me with one dollar left.

Xykon_Fan
2007-05-28, 05:28 PM
My net worth is currently: $975

HNJO: 25*7 = 175
Cash on hand: 109

And...I will buy another 15 shares of HNJO enterprises. I now have:
HNJO: 40*7 = 280

And...$4 cash on hand.

SORRY!!!!:smalleek:

I had no idea my older brother was logged in already!:smalleek:

(This is actually Finaffin.) and Finaffin is very sorry. :smallfrown:

Finaffin
2007-05-28, 05:34 PM
So now that I'm posting in my own account in lieu of my big brother's, my current stocks are:

HNJO: 40*7 = 280
Cash on hand: $4

doliemaster
2007-05-28, 06:17 PM
I had
250-miko
14-snrl
Oh wait just recounted on my unchanged stocks and realised that I miscounted cost when I bought since we start with 1000 dollars and that cost 876 I still have 124 which I will invest in Miko giving me 291 miko 14 snrl and that should bump miko up 1 dollar.

David Argall
2007-05-28, 06:52 PM
This Week's Prices (5/27) are:
OOTS 12$ (Holding steady thanks to discretion being the better part of valor)
HNJO 7$ (With the loss of middle and upper management to Goblin Industries, the company is barely holding it together)
DOOM 3$ (Evil, Inc. has lost it's last asset, leaving the CEO alone to fend for himself...expect to see them bought out by Goblin Industries.)
LIGD 5$ (No changes yet)
MIKO 3$ (No changes yet)
SNRL 9$ (No changes yet)
RDCL 15$ (Goblin Industries continues it's hostile takeover of Hinjo and Co. continues, but how long will it keep going?)

DOOM at $3?? Buy!! [RDCL is a subsudiary operation and the question is merely when it will take a massive fall. If the rules allow selling short, this is likely your top play.]

230 DOOM
103 MIKO

[MIKO is more speculative, but also have major upside potential]

Raven T.
2007-05-28, 06:59 PM
It is official: we are 86ing the idea of trades affecting the prices. We do appreciate the input of those who have weighed in, but some solutions are a little...complex to continue.

Carry on.

Ditto
2007-05-28, 07:01 PM
I'd like to join.

65 on RDCL, please. ($975)
($25 extra)

AngryRussian16
2007-05-28, 07:35 PM
This is so interesting that you've managed to convince me to register an account :smalltongue:

Ill take:

150 shares - DOOM (450$)
100 shares - MIKO (300$)
35 shares - HNJO (245$)

Leaving me with 5$

bitznarf
2007-05-28, 09:20 PM
OOTS 12$
HNJO 7$
DOOM 3$
LIGD 5$
MIKO 3$
SNRL 9$
RDCL 15$

Starting with $1000

I think MIKO has nowhere to go but up, as do LIGD

Buying 40 MIKO @ $3/share = <$120>
Buying 28 LIGD @ $5/share = <$140>

I suspect that HNJO will bounce back a bit anytime now

Buying 20 HNJO @ $7/share = <$140>

As the PCs, OOTS will remain a solid prospect for some time to come even if they do flucuate.

Buying 50 OOTS @ $12/share = <$600>
---------------------------------------
Cash on hand $0
40 MIKO
28 LIGD
20 HNJO
50 OOTS

DrivinAllNight
2007-05-28, 11:09 PM
I'm not buying or selling anything right now, just keeping what I got, it should prove good in about a week. My updated values are in my Sig.
See you at the top of the corporate ladder y'all. :smallsmile:

Nogard
2007-05-29, 01:00 AM
I'll join as well

166 shares of DOOM at $3 (am i reading that right?)
166 shares of MIKO at $3
and $4 bucks left over

EagleWiz
2007-05-29, 08:28 AM
Im selling everything for 400 DOOM shares. Got to be better then MIKO. No offence but miko is in prison and xykon is going to have to do ok next comic...

Lavidor
2007-05-29, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by Lavidor
40 gp, 620 MIKO and 300 LIGD
Total: 3400 gp.

Well, yet another rethink.
Sell 620 MIKO for 1860 gp (that much?!:smalleek:)
Sell 300 LIGD for 1500 gp (see above)
Buy 1,120 DOOM for 3,360 gp.
40 gp on hand, and 1,120 DOOM.
Total: 3,400 gp

Ink
2007-05-29, 11:22 AM
Ok, unloading 15 LIGD for 75 gp and putting all of that into DOOM. That makes my portfolio:

10 OOTS - 120 gp
10 HNJO - 70 gp
160 MIKO - 480 gp
45 DOOM - 135 gp
37 LIGD - 185 gp

Net Worth - 990 gp
Cash - 0 gp

Twilight Jack
2007-05-29, 12:43 PM
Okay, it's time to take a risk.

Liquidating all shares of RDCL, and reinvesting in DOOM. I think it likely that the CEO's current situation is not quite so dire as feared, and I don't want see too much more growth left in RDCL.

43 shares of RDCL grosses me 645 gp, with which I'm buying 215 shares of DOOM.

Raven T.
2007-05-29, 02:13 PM
Trading is closed.
We should have an updated price list for you this evening...early tomorrow at the latest.

One_Wolf
2007-05-29, 05:52 PM
OK,

I have the following:

54 shares OOTS @ $12 = $648
16 shares HNJO @ $7 = $112
66 shares MIKO @ $3 = $198

Total: $958

Looks like I've taken a small loss, but I get a feeling MIKO will flourish.

-One_Wolf

Edit: I did not buy or sell. Just copied my shares from the last thread and adjusted for price changes.

EagleWiz
2007-05-29, 07:43 PM
LIGD should go up (duh)
DOOM should go up because thier new member killed an elemental.

Raven T.
2007-05-29, 07:43 PM
Ladies and gentlemen, stock prices for 5/29:

OOTS: 12gp (No new news)
HNJO: 7gp (No significant changes)
DOOM: 4gp (With the survival of Evil, INC's newest manager, they are slightly less boned.)
RDCL: 15gp (No changes)
LIGD: 7gp (Evil, INC has inadvertently permitted a restructuring of NaleCo, though some question their decision not to buy out the floundering Miyazaki Enterprises for added power.)
MIKO: 3gp (Turned down by NaleCo has left Miyazaki Enterprises in the same position as when they started.)

Trading may now resume.

Firestar27
2007-05-29, 07:49 PM
Just wondering: If the new comic is up (like now with 458), and you haven't updated the prices yet, can we still buy/sell? Or do we have to wait until you update?

Raven T.
2007-05-29, 07:51 PM
I said it before, I'll say it again.

We close trading as quickly as possible after the comic goes up. It is accepted that trading WILL NOT HAPPEN between the new comic and our updates.

Besides, check the new prices and have fun.:smallbiggrin:

Raistlin1040
2007-05-29, 07:53 PM
So I had 75 of order and 20 of Linear.

75 of order: $900
20 of LIGD: $140

So my profile's worth is 1,040.

Gaelbert
2007-05-29, 07:55 PM
I sell 20 LIGD to give me $140 more. I use the earnings to buy 20 HNJO, to leave me with:
50 OOTS
50 MIKO
27 HNJO
25 DOOM
Cash left: $1

Shoyliguad
2007-05-29, 08:01 PM
so lets see, quickly selling my 10 LIGD and stocking up on 17 HNJO

DarthMauler64
2007-05-29, 08:02 PM
Miko shall rise!

(We start with a 1000 right?)
$999 in Miko gets 333 shares
$1 extra

Asmodeus
2007-05-29, 08:38 PM
Time for another report from the independent research firm, Lawful Evil Overlords.

We are currently shoving pitchforks as far up our Diviners' respective tookus as we can manage and stockpiling on brimstone. These guys are going to fry for a long time for not seeing this coming. LIGD came out of left field today and took the market by storm. With their impending escape we expect to see a flurry of action around their stock. No one can tell whether they are about to become the next rising star, or if they are about to run face-first into a glass ceiling. Our recomendation: If you were lucky enough to have LIGD stock sitting somewhere in a holding cell, now is the time to let it see the light of day. Sell it while its hot, before HNJO and OOTS sees whats happening and tries to strong arm LIGD back into the lower ranks.

Finally, the stars are aligned. We said that now is the time to buy HNJO, and we see a lot of people are taking that advice to heart. Take whatever profits you might have gotten from LIGD and put it into HNJO now!

As for the DOOM and RDCL brawl, despite the recent gain in DOOM, we still strongly recommend you dump any DOOM shares you have. Its just a glitch in the system. Do not take this small upswing to mean that DOOM is set for a strong comeback. Hold your shares in RDCL for one more rodeo, and then dump them as fast as your little fingers, claws, tentacles or talons can type. Look out for a double-posting from the Giant, because if he resolves too many plot lines in a single session, he's likely absolve the downfall of DOOM and the reabsorbtion of RDCL in a single sitting. The good thing about that happening is that your RDCL stocks will carry over to Evil, Inc. shares, at an adjusted rate. You will still profit, just not as much as if he splits it up.

=================================

Portfolio changes:

None.

Current Portfolio:

46 HNJO = $322 - Expecting a resurgence any day now. Buy now while prices are down.
00 LIGD = $0 - Will hold for now. No major activity expected.
20 RDCL = $300 - Has one last hurrah before being absorbed back into DOOM. Will try to make short-term gain, and sell out before this company is victim in hostile takeover.

Pocket = $1

Total = $1151

Pigboy
2007-05-29, 08:40 PM
Pumping it all into LIGD (143 Stocks I think?) :smalltongue:

Tolkien_Freak
2007-05-29, 08:42 PM
:thog: yay, thog's stocks not change!

Due to NO stocks in LIGD or DOOM, absolutely nothing happened to me. yay!

( :thog: thog not understand stock marketing.)

chibibar
2007-05-29, 08:58 PM
Current
50 Miko = 150$
100 HNJO = 800
10 LIGD = 50$

Sell 10 Share of LIGD @ 7$ a share = 70$
buy 23 MIKO share @ 3$ a share = 69
1 GP left over.

Fraz-Urb'luu
2007-05-29, 09:05 PM
Hmm... I'll sell 40 of my 77 stocks of SNRL as I think they'll be worthless for quite a while. Hmm..... I don't want to raise the price of MIKO too much, since that would make the game less fun... So I'll buy 60 shares of MIKO and I guess I'll buy 25 HNJO.

Sold 40 Stocks SNRL for $360
Bought 60 Stocks MIKO for $180
Bought 25 Stocks HNJO for $175
Leaving me with $5 left.:smallsmile:

DeadMech
2007-05-29, 09:12 PM
151 MIKO at 3GP a share (no change)
51 LIGD at 7GP a share (+102)
17 OOTS at 12GP a share (no change)
15 RDCL at 15GP a share (no change)
$1239 total

LIGD shot up like I expected. Although I am disappointed that their stock price isn't flying as high as their managment. Seeing as I don't expect major news from them for sometime to come I'm going to go ahead and sell the majority of my holdings in favor of more relavant companies.

First I'll expand my holdings of OOTS. As everyone argues it's a good long term investment. They seem to have a plan that will leave them relatively safe. The problem I see is that they the main competitors of DOOM are the only ones who can really stop them. HNJO may assist but OOTS do need to be present.

Th rest of my money will go into DOOM. At this point is seems as if their merger with RDCL is all but inevitable. Worst case scenario their head is force to take a short vacation. Best case they successfully take over HNJO's headoffice. Generally It's proven that DOOM is a resilient company and it's current low stockprice leaves it with no place to go but up.

151 MIKO at 3GP a share
3 LIGD at 7GP a share
38 OOTS at 12GP a share
15 RDCL at 15GP a share
21 DOOM at 4GP a share
$1239 total (+102)

All that aside I beleve I have a suggestion to the people running the Trade Index. If things go well for DOOM and they merge with RDCL that will likely place the stock at a value of 20 or higher. This causes two problems.

The first is that combined with the reduced number of companies to invest in this will make it a great deal harder to invest 100% of our investment money.

The second problem is that this would make the stock itself prohibitively expensive. People will be less likely to invest in a company knowing that each share is likely only to gain them a couple bucks with each update. Instead they will invest in cheaper companies.

The answer would be to split the stocks. Basically anyone holding onto a $20 DOOM stock would recieve 2 $10 DOOM stocks.

Raven T.
2007-05-29, 09:15 PM
I want to provide a heads-up for those of you carrying DOOM and RDCL stock:

When they recombine forces, due to the nature of what our predecessor did when they first split, we will be forcing everyone to sell their DOOM and RDCL stock at the value from the previous update. Their price will be adjusted according to their position and you may rebuy if you so choose.

We came to this decision because it is the easiest way to reconcile the merger. I suspect most people are dumping RDCL stock anyway, but I just want you all to know what will happen.

Hiruma
2007-05-29, 09:16 PM
My bad, prices are updated.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2659856&postcount=133

Hold, still 1662 dollars worth, 237 HNJO shares and 3 dollars in the bank.

drkmirror
2007-05-29, 09:40 PM
Standing pat with 333 shares of doom

Lasada1984
2007-05-29, 10:13 PM
1) Previous stock purchases

53 Miko stock (good investment for now. 159 dollars)
50 LIGD stock. (ibid. 250 dollars)
50 Hnjo. (I think will be going up soon... 350 dollars)
20 OOTs Stock (A good long term winner. 240 dollars.)

1 dollar left over

2) New Values
Miko=same
Hnjo=Same
OOts=Same
LIGD= up 2 dollars per share! Yay!.

Thus current value of stock= $1,099, +1 dollar held

3) New trades:
Selling 30 LIGD stock for 210 dollars.
Buying 30 Hnjo stocks for 210 dollars.

4) New assets
80 HNJO stocks
53 Miko Stocks
20 LIGDF Stocks
20 OOTS Stock.

I agree LEO research. I think HNJO is due for a major upswing!

AngryRussian16
2007-05-29, 10:15 PM
Im taking my 150 shares of DOOM and selling them, giving me 600$ (a 150$ profit)

Im now buying 85 shares of HNJO (595$)

So now, here is my porfolio

100 shares - MIKO (300$)
120 shares - HNJO (840$)

I have 10$ left over

Raven T.
2007-05-29, 10:22 PM
I'm going to hang onto my LIGD stock. I believe they will make a clean getaway and I'm going to wait until they become the villain focus of the comic before I trade them.

I will dump my OOTS stock for a short term dip into HNJO:
Sell 15 OOTS @ 12gp= 180gp
Buy 26 HNJO @ 7gp= 182gp

This changes my folder to:
150 MIKO
53 LIGD
66 HNJO
1gp in pocket
Total Value: 1284gp

Xykon_Fan
2007-05-29, 10:37 PM
Selling 36 stocks of OOTS @ 12 gp = 432 gp
Buying 61 stocks of HNJO @ 7 gp = 427 gp
Buying 1 stock of DOOm @ 4 gp = 4 gp

Changing my portfolio to:
10 OOTS
99 HNJO
1 DOOM
Ooops...1 GOLD

(By the way, for stock advice, it can be a really good idea to look at all the discussion thread's spoilers for the comics.)

Unrepentant
2007-05-29, 11:54 PM
I wanna play!!!!

Buying 35 shares of OOTS @ 12 for 420.
Buying 193 shares of MIKO @ 3 for 579
1 gp in cash.

David Argall
2007-05-30, 12:13 AM
OOTS: 12gp (No new news)
HNJO: 7gp (No significant changes)
DOOM: 4gp (With the survival of Evil, INC's newest manager, they are slightly less boned.)
RDCL: 15gp (No changes)
LIGD: 7gp (Evil, INC has inadvertently permitted a restructuring of NaleCo, though some question their decision not to buy out the floundering Miyazaki Enterprises for added power.)
MIKO: 3gp (Turned down by NaleCo has left Miyazaki Enterprises in the same position as when they started.)

Our identification of the buying opportunity of Doom has produced a quick profit of 23%. It is tempting to ride its rise, which could still be substantial. However a downside risk is developing and while a short term rise is quite possible, and may be substantial, mistiming the final sale will be quite expensive.
Those looking for a safe haven for their money should try OOTS, which has notable potential. However its high price makes any profit small. HNJO is a better prospect for profit, but there is a chance of a major fall here too such as its problems with NNJA.
The saying is sell on good news and so LIGD should be unloaded right away. It will not make an upward move for some time.
MIKO is poised to make a move, probably soon and maybe immediately. This is where the big money can be made....or maybe lost. Trading in MIKO could be terminated very soon as the CEO, is likely going to end a time of planning with a high risk strategy. If it works as predicted, MIKO may well double, but MIKO stock could be virtual paper if it turns out badly.

We deem the risk work it, and pass on the likely profit from DOOM to risk it all on MIKO.

Sell 230 DOOM at 4 = 920
Buy 307 MIKO at 3 = 921

Portfilio 410 shares MIKO

Trevalyan
2007-05-30, 12:34 AM
Dabo! Former options:

60 shares of LIGD
30 shares of OOTS
120 shares of MIKO

ALl shares of LIGD are instantly sold off for $420. 140 shares of MIKO are instantly snapped up. That equals 260 shares of MIKO, totalling about $780. Thankfully, unless the corporation is folded by new management, this amount stands to be worth a considerable amount of money.

30 shares of OOTS = $360
260 shares of MIKO = $780

TOTAL = 1140

Profit growths are relatively anemic, but I will point out I'm a late trader banking on a particularly juicy deal for Miyazaki Industrial Concern. So nyah!

EDIT: With a fairly juicy deal still in the running, and most low-hanging fruit from DOOM and RDCL having faded, leaving extremely high-value targets for the most part, value in OOTS is immediately sold off to purchase more stocks of MIKO, leading to 380 shares in MIKO at a total value of $1140. The smart money's all going on the fallen paladin now. No more time for gambling!

Curunir
2007-05-30, 01:20 AM
I'll sell my 64 LIGD for $448

I'll buy
30 OOTS for $360
28 MIKO for $84
1 DOOM for $4

So my holdings:

130 OOTs = $1560 ($12)
28 MIKO = $84 ($3)
21 DOOM = $84 ($4)
TOTAL: $1728

When I first bought LIGD then that was exactly what I waited for but I'm almost certain that NaleCo will not present anything new for now.
The list will be updated before the friday comic.
Buying DOOM or RDCL is tricky as I think they are planning to join. But with the current preasure given them by HNJO then I see RDCL coming down (not DOOM going up) from this joining.
OOTS should be a safe bet as they must get to the throne room soon. So they will grow.
HNJO can go both way. HNJO is for those people who like to risk.
MIKO is cheap. That's all. You can't lose a lot but it can take time before it goes up again.

P.S. Curunir is now in charge of this list until she says otherwise. Do not PM her, just expect her to update the list as soon as she can.

Actually I am male.
And you can PM me if your stock doesn't change but networth does and you don't post it here.

happyturtle
2007-05-30, 01:36 AM
OOTS 12gp x 51 = 612gp
HNJO 7gp x 26 = 182gp
DOOM 4gp x 5 = 20gp
LIGD 7gp x 4 = 28gp
MIKO 3gp x 25 = 75gp
RDCL 15gp x 5 = 75gp

992gp

I'm going to sell all my RDCL and LIGD, giving me 103gp to play with. With that, I will buy 4 shares of DOOM and 29 shares of MIKO.

OOTS 12gp x 51 = 612gp
HNJO 7gp x 26 = 182gp
DOOM 4gp x 9 = 36gp
MIKO 3gp x 54 = 162gp

992gp

teratorn
2007-05-30, 01:40 AM
I don't understand why LIGD prices went up. They left the story arc, they should have gone down or remained the same. It's the kind of stock most people will sell for they'll be out for a long time. It's going against the expected market behavior (I didn't expect people to buy even if prices went down, it was seller stock always).

Prior holdings
233 MIKO
20 DOOM
17 HNJO
10 OOTS
cash: 2 gp

Sell
99 MIKO for 297 gp
20 DOOM for 80 gp
total: 377 gp

Buy
54 HNJO for 378

New holdings
134 MIKO (402 gp)
10 OOTS (120 gp)
71 HNJO (497 gp)
cash: 1
total:1,020 gp

dragoncmd
2007-05-30, 02:48 AM
when I sarted this it was meant to be a one time joke, sorry if I disappointed anyone by now updating, but thanks for taking it over.

Crabapple
2007-05-30, 03:34 AM
have before:
DOOM 100 * 4 = 400
RDCL 70 * 15 = 1050
Selling all my RDCL stocks

money not invested: 10
buying:

265 DOOM for 1060

DOOM 365 * 4 = 1460
money not invested: 0
ALL my stocks in doom

Irbis
2007-05-30, 04:11 AM
Dumping my RDCL & LIGD for 1432$. Nice profit, they may yet rise but I'm expecting sharp drop (RDCL) or long disappearance (LIGD).

I still have:

25 OOTS (+25$)
10 DOOM (-30$)

Hmm, what to do with these. OOTS gave me a slight profit, DOOM slight loss. Well, time to play risky. Dumping OOTS for 300$ and putting resulting 1732$ into:

550 MIKO (what the hell, I hate her but there is open possibility of profit) :smallcool:
31 DOOM (additional purchase).

Now worth 1774$ :smallconfused:

Dugray
2007-05-30, 04:57 AM
Alright I'm joining the escapades.

Buy:
20 Doom (80$)
50 HNJO (350$)
20 SNRL (180$)
100 MIKO (300$)
5 OOTS (60$)

Money in Pockets: 30$

Net Worth: 1000$

Mittsville
2007-05-30, 05:37 AM
Ooooo can i join in with this

40 OOTS, ($480) - Long term investment. You just know the good guys will come out on top at the end.
40 DOOM ($160) - A nice low price at the moment. As a recurring villain, a reappearance looks likely for this company
50 MIKO ($150) - For her, things can only get better
30 LIGD ($210) - With their restructuring under the hands of Goblin industries, fortunes are looking up for the Linear Guild (unless they suddenly fall down onto the battlefield)

That comes to $1000

Miklus
2007-05-30, 05:43 AM
Yes! Prison break! But only for The Linear Guild. :smallfrown:
But i'll stubbornly hold on to my MIKO shares. I'll trade my LIGD for HNJO (Both @ $7)

300 shares of MIKO @ $3 = $900
20 shares of HNJO @ $7 = $140

Total $1040

Horray, I'm making money at last! :smallsmile:

rankrath
2007-05-30, 06:09 AM
I'm selling 10 shares of RDCL for $150 and buying 25 shares of MIKO, then buying the rest in HIJO (the tunnel to the armoury has to come into play at some point

My holdings:
30 RDCL: $450
42 OOTS: $504
40 LIGD: $280
30 HIJO: $210
25 MIKO: $75
Net Worth: $1519
COH: $33

Lavidor
2007-05-30, 06:36 AM
Well, yet another rethink.
Sell 620 MIKO for 1860 gp (that much?!:smalleek:)
Sell 300 LIGD for 1500 gp (see above)
Buy 1,120 DOOM for 3,360 gp.
40 gp on hand, and 1,120 DOOM.
Total: 3,400 gp

Why did I sell LIGD!
Keeping stocks, is now worth 4,520 gp!:eek: Really zooming up.

Oh yeah, can we create our own companies? I have a rules writeup here.
1. Stock prices are based on amount of cash.
2. Starting a company costs X gp - X are lost and the rest get invested in the company.
3. Starting a company must be approved by the board members.
4. At any given moment, you must have X stocks in the company.

The X's are a number for the board members to decide.

Asmodeus
2007-05-30, 07:32 AM
I want to provide a heads-up for those of you carrying DOOM and RDCL stock:

When they recombine forces, due to the nature of what our predecessor did when they first split, we will be forcing everyone to sell their DOOM and RDCL stock at the value from the previous update. Their price will be adjusted according to their position and you may rebuy if you so choose.

We came to this decision because it is the easiest way to reconcile the merger. I suspect most people are dumping RDCL stock anyway, but I just want you all to know what will happen.

This special bulletin from the Lawful Evil Overlords Independent Research Firm is brought to you in part by Brimstone Tires. "Burn up the road with Brimstone."

Given the late-breaking news about how a merger will be handled, we are adjusting our recommendations for those of you hoping to swing into big money during the RDCL/DOOM merger. As of now, the Devils of the Market say buy as much RDCL stock as you can. RDCL will continue to rise until the point that DOOM buys them out, and that will mean the most gains for you, our loyal readers and investors. You will be able to sell useless RDCL stock at gleefully inflated prices. And for the love of Beezlebub, dump any and all DOOM stock you have now, before you are forced to get rid of it at a price that is woefully undervalued.

Happy Trading.

Lavidor
2007-05-30, 07:40 AM
This special bulletin from the Lawful Evil Overlords Independent Research Firm is brought to you in part by Brimstone Tires. "Burn up the road with Brimstone."

Given the late-breaking news about how a merger will be handled, we are adjusting our recommendations for those of you hoping to swing into big money during the RDCL/DOOM merger. As of now, the Devils of the Market say buy as much RDCL stock as you can. RDCL will continue to rise until the point that DOOM buys them out, and that will mean the most gains for you, our loyal readers and investors. You will be able to sell useless RDCL stock at gleefully inflated prices. And for the love of Beezlebub, dump any and all DOOM stock you have now, before you are forced to get rid of it at a price that is woefully undervalued.

Happy Trading.

You know, thats true.
Sell 1,120 DOOM for 4,480 gp (i'm loaded - anyone want a loan?:smalltongue:)
Buy 300 RDCL for 4,500 gp (yep, really loaded :smalltongue:)
20 gp and 300 RDCL on hand
Total 4,520 gp.

Ink
2007-05-30, 08:49 AM
The Lawful Evil Overlords make some sense. Also, seeing that LIGD is undergoing reorganisation I don't expect much activity from them. I'm dumping all my DOOM and LIGD and buying 29 shares of RDCL for 435 gp and 1 share of MIKO for 3 gp. I'm still optimistic that there will be a major announcement from the MIKO CEO soon.

10 OOTS - 120 gp
10 HNJO - 70 gp
161 MIKO - 483 gp
29 RDCL - 435 gp

Cash: 1 gp
Net Worth: 1109 gp

Raven T.
2007-05-30, 08:50 AM
Asmodeus, that Brimstone Tires slogan made my day.

I am not sure how the logistics of companies owned by forum members would go. We have no way of valuing the stock itself. I am not opposed to the idea, rather, I am unsure of how trading and value in the company will work.

Edit: dragoncmd, it's all right. If it hadn't gained as much popularity as it had, we probably would have let it die, but it has taken a life of it's own. I appreciate your vote of confidence and your blessing on it.

Xykon_Fan
2007-05-30, 09:24 AM
Alright, couple of things...first off, I'd like to ask all the players to thank dragon for what he started...just in case the new ones don't know, he started BSH, but got offline for a while, and it was picked up by Raven, Shoyligaud, and myself. Please thank him for laying the groundwork for an amazing and (obviously) popular game.

As for player owned companies, I would suggest you decide to "sponsor" a certain set of people in the comic who have not been formed into a company on the stock market yet...your prices will then vary based on their performance. Just my take, but I would suggest the X's be filled in like this.
1. Stock Prices are based on amount of cash, and also on how well the sponsored product is doing in reality (or lack thereof).
2. Starting a company costs 10,000 gp
3. Starting a company must be approved by the board members.
4. At any given moment, you must hold at least 100 shares, and any investor must have 50% more shares than you in order to buy out the company.

Just my 2 cp

Irbis
2007-05-30, 09:32 AM
Why did I sell LIGD!
Keeping stocks, is now worth 4,520 gp!:eek: Really zooming up.

Well... somebody hasn't noticed that little announcement 'trading closed'?

Because if that is the example how you acquire stocks (magically canceling sales and buing/selling at old values after new ones have been published) your stock is worth about 0$ now.

Cuz' all you have in it is 4.500$ worth of monopoly toy 'money'.

You know, buying/selling when new values were published days after the comic wasn't that fair play, but this is really taking the cake.

Crabapple
2007-05-30, 09:36 AM
baha i dont like the new rules, why force someone to sell.. well i guess i do changes then and drop all the doom shares, and it was a stupid mistake to sell RDCL :(
Selling all DOOM for
DOOM 365 * 4 = 1460
Current uninvested: 1460

just waiting... to next update right now

Xykon_Fan
2007-05-30, 09:40 AM
Wow, okay, I don't think Lav was actually saying he was trying to buy back the old LIGD stocks he sold...I think he was saying that's how much extra he would have had. Something tells me with how distressed he is, he's not under the assumption he can ever get it back.

Crabapple, sorry about your loss, but this was the best way we thought it could work. DOOM may still rise before it merges with RDCL, or at the same time, at which point, it may still be a good deal.

Curunir
2007-05-30, 09:45 AM
I like the idea of player owned companys and I agree with XF.
At the moment $10000 is fair price for setting up a company but as our wealth grows it should be changed. Or we can reset the board.

EagleWiz
2007-05-30, 09:47 AM
Woot! i made 400$.

Now lets see.

Selling 400 doom for 1600$

Buying 101 DOOM for 404$ (Going up)
Buying 24 RDCL for 400$ (Risky)
Buying 33 OOTS for 396$ (They are the heros. They have to go up)
Buying 57 LIGD for 399$ (Going up)

And keeping 1$

And RDCL lost 1 elemental to DOOM.... why is RDCL the same?

Asmodeus
2007-05-30, 09:50 AM
Dragon, you are my hero for starting this. awesome idea.

As for player sponsored companies, it sounds fun, but some serious details need to be worked out.

I am totally up for starting up my company Nine Hells (HELL), and possibly have a good rivalry with someone who owns The Abyss (ABYS). Maybe have a startup company ASMO. hehe

If Sabine is a Devil, instead of a Demon(ess), she can be my sponsor character, or rather, those mysterious cloaked figures who offered her a 10% bonus. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0380.html)

EagleWiz
2007-05-30, 09:54 AM
Uh sabrine is in LIGD. sorry. And she is a succubus. Not a branchia. They have red hair.

Asmodeus
2007-05-30, 09:56 AM
Uh sabrine is in LIGD. sorry.

Thats just what they WANT you to think. She's actually working for my company. She's on a secret corporate espionage mission.... yea!

Don't tell Nale.

Edit: Succubus, eh? Nevermind then. :(

Xykon_Fan
2007-05-30, 10:12 AM
EagleWiz, the main issue is that elementals used in the way RDCL used that CL elemental are expendable. It didn't give them any money, so it didn't take any away either. It's entire purpose was to then kill Tsukiko who didn't really need to be killed. When it did something useful (kill the other good humans) it gave them points, but when it's no longer useful, it is considered expendable free of charge.

My take on it.

Lavidor
2007-05-30, 10:13 AM
Wow, okay, I don't think Lav was actually saying he was trying to buy back the old LIGD stocks he sold...I think he was saying that's how much extra he would have had. Something tells me with how distressed he is, he's not under the assumption he can ever get it back.

Crabapple, sorry about your loss, but this was the best way we thought it could work. DOOM may still rise before it merges with RDCL, or at the same time, at which point, it may still be a good deal.

Yeah I meant that. I was referring to DOOM stocks being worth more cash. And about Player Owned Companies, Ah well guess I'll have to wait before starting one.

Raven T.
2007-05-30, 10:41 AM
Waiting is good; it gives us more time to flesh out the details so there isn't a potential fiasco on hand.

Asmodeus, I believe that would be viable. I suspect that, if LIGD gets to a gate before the others, Sabine's fiendish overlords will be major players.

teratorn
2007-05-30, 10:48 AM
Well, I see there is "new strip" there on the side, but that's a mistake. I decided to change my mind, and convert all my assets (I have 1,020 gp) into

145 HNJO (1,015 gp)
1 MIKO (3gp)
2 gp cash

I'm waiting for Lien to come back with Hinjo's Junk and a few thousand soldiers and for Tsukinky to waste Redcloak's army inside the palace.

Ladorak
2007-05-30, 11:32 AM
I was planning on buying more LIGD shares but I thought I had a little more time... Pity. Time for a little stratagy change. I smell a rise for HNJO in the air.

Selling

50 OotS for 600
2 LIGD for 14
30 RDCl for 450

buying

143 HNJO
21 MIKO

teratorn
2007-05-30, 11:51 AM
Selling 50 OotS for 600, 2 LIGD for 14, 30 RDCl for 450

buying 143 HNJO, 20 MIKO
1gp in pocket

:smallamused: There is a mistake there, and on your signature as well. You just sold 1064 and only bought, 1061. And your signature says 1068 gp. Check your math please.

Ladorak
2007-05-30, 01:07 PM
Many apologises, correcting.

AyuVince
2007-05-30, 01:56 PM
No MIKO or LIGD stocks... I'm fine. We won't see any more performances from either company soon, so don't expect to make a quick buck with your shares.

Still betting on the good guys...

50 OOTS
20 HNJO

moleytov
2007-05-30, 02:26 PM
previously:
50 OOTS - $600
50 LIGD - $350
50 MIKO - $150

Sell off all my stocks in LIGD for $350 in hand,
Invest hoping for a short-term hop in HNJO, and then back on the Evil Freedom bandwagon before they reappear. Or at least thats the plan.
Buy in on HNJO - 50 @ 7 - $350

shares:
50 OOTS - $600
50 HNJO - $350
50 MIKO - $150
---
$1100
---

David Argall
2007-05-30, 02:33 PM
Buyers of MIKO should be aware this is a distinctly dangerous strategy. We all recognize there is going to be a major market realignment within the near term. While MIKO may sit this out on the sidelines, it has high potential of being in the middle in a highly confrontational manner. This could result in the termination of all trading in MIKO within a short period. We remain confident MIKO will survive the danger, in which case the upside profit potential is massive, but this is not a safe investment.

teratorn
2007-05-30, 02:39 PM
50 OOTS
20 HNJO

In your signature you have HNJO at 8 gp, better change it. It's at 7 gp only.

Ikol_777
2007-05-30, 02:54 PM
Had

HNJO 39 (251 GP)
DOOM 151 (453 GP)
LIGD 24 (120 GP)
MIKO 51 (150 GP)
RESERVE 1 GP
NET 1000 GP

Selling
24 LIGD for 168 gp (48) profits
Buying
24 HNJO for 168 gp

Result
63 HJNO (441 gp)
151 DOOM (604 gp)
51 MIKO (150 gp)
1 gp reserve
net value 1196

Ethier DOOM or HNJO is going to increase signifigantly soon.

teratorn
2007-05-30, 03:25 PM
Guys check and double check your numbers.

Had
HNJO 39 (251 GP) DOOM 151 (453 GP) LIGD 24 (120 GP) MIKO 51 (150 GP) RESERVE 1 GP NET 1000 GP
This adds to 975 only. Assuming your share numbers are ok, 39 HNJOs should be 273 gp. 51 MIKOs would be153 gp! (and that gives 1,000 gp).

Result 63 HJNO (441 gp) 151 DOOM (604 gp) 51 MIKO (150 gp) 1 gp reserve
net value 1196
51 MIKO is worth 153, you have 1199 gp.

happyturtle
2007-05-30, 03:26 PM
OOTS 12gp x 51 = 612gp
HNJO 7gp x 26 = 182gp
DOOM 4gp x 5 = 20gp
LIGD 7gp x 4 = 28gp
MIKO 3gp x 25 = 75gp
RDCL 15gp x 5 = 75gp

992gp

I'm going to sell all my RDCL and LIGD, giving me 103gp to play with. With that, I will buy 4 shares of DOOM and 29 shares of MIKO.

OOTS 12gp x 51 = 612gp
HNJO 7gp x 26 = 182gp
DOOM 4gp x 9 = 36gp
MIKO 3gp x 54 = 162gp

992gp

Okay, I changed my mind. I don't understand the merger stuff with team evil, and I don't like owning more shares of delusional MIKO than heroic HNJO. New portfolio:

OOTS 12gp x 54 = 648gp
HNJO 7gp x 45 = 245gp
MIKO 3gp x 33 = 99gp

Sethis
2007-05-30, 03:27 PM
Alright, I think I understand this now! Can I join?

$1000

Buy:

40 HNJO ($280)
40 MIKO ($120)
50 SNRL ($450)
10 RDCL ($150)

Total : $1000

That should do.

teratorn
2007-05-30, 03:36 PM
Ok, I'll stop after this one :smallwink:

OOTS 12gp x 54 = 648gp
HNJO 7gp x 45 = 245gp
MIKO 3gp x 33 = 99gp

Cheater! :smallbiggrin:
45 HNJOS give 315 gp. Don't you mean 35 HNJOS????

Xykon_Fan
2007-05-30, 03:38 PM
Teratorn, I might be willing to talk to the other board members and give you a place as "Official Math Checker of the BSH OOTS Game" :smallbiggrin:

happyturtle
2007-05-30, 03:48 PM
Ok, I'll stop after this one :smallwink:

Cheater! :smallbiggrin:
45 HNJOS give 315 gp. Don't you mean 35 HNJOS????

Probably, yes. Typing error rather than maths error. I blame the elbow brace. (Even though it's on my left arm and I use the number pad with my right hand.)

OOTS 12gp x 54 = 648gp
HNJO 7gp x 35 = 245gp
MIKO 3gp x 33 = 99gp

Cheers!

RedTopHat
2007-05-30, 04:28 PM
previous:

OOTS: 45 ($495)
DOOM: 30 ($310)
RDCL: 20 ($140)
LIGD: 11 ($55)

I feel that LIGD will be taking a break for a while, and it was a short term investment anyways. I'll sell 11*7 = 77

I invested a lot into doom, at high price, so I have to hold that. I'm also holding RDCL, for a rise before what I think will be a tragic fall due to the colliding of DOOM and RDCL. HNJO seems like a grab, due to the drop in price.

It seems I haven't updated my stocks for a while, and a lot of money has infected how much each stock itself is worth.

OOTS: 45 ($540)
DOOM: 30 ($120)
RDCL: 20 ($300)
HNJO: 11 ($77)

Total: $1037

Aaron Smith
2007-05-30, 04:50 PM
Alright, time to sell on the news! LIGD stock sold, to the tune of 700gp. *small cha-ching* Purchase everything else of MIKO stock. Gambling, but I'll ride it on on the power of the antagonist.

Previously:
166 MIKO
100 LIGD

Now:
400 MIKO

Total: 1200gp. (yay! I went up!)

Gaelbert
2007-05-30, 05:37 PM
I sell 25 DOOM for $100, and buy 14 HNJO for $98. Now I have:
50 OOTS
50 MIKO
41 HNJO
$3 left

Bengui
2007-05-30, 06:55 PM
Previously : 1000$

Buying :
71 on Hinjo for 497$
166 on Miko for 498$
1 on DOOM for 4$

pocket : 1$

Charity322
2007-05-30, 07:06 PM
I thought Xykon and Redcloak and the army were all counted in DOOM? So should there be a separate one for Redcloak?

Raven T.
2007-05-30, 07:22 PM
There is a separate one. That's what RDCL is. The creator of the game split them up about the time Xykon used the Insanity Ball.

Xect
2007-05-30, 07:35 PM
I'm still sitting on my 125 HNJO, waiting for that major announcement that's gonna blow everyone away. It's got to be the calm before the storm.

Unfortunately, this puts my total at 875 gp :/

Firestar27
2007-05-30, 09:28 PM
I will buy:
OOTS 55 stock = $660
RDCL 20 stock = $300
MIKO 10 stock = $30
Total in stocks: $990
Remaining: $10

Assuming from the v.1.0 thread that we start with $1000
This is according to the latest prices, last updated at 5-29-07.
The OOTS will win in the end. Their CEO will be ressurected, and the heroes always win the battle of the businesses.
RDCL will lose in the end, but by a small margin.
MIKO will come back. There is no other reason for repeatedly seeing her kneeling in prayer. As Hinjo said, there is the spell "atonement".

Kanthalion
2007-05-30, 09:30 PM
I'm in!

20 OOTS @ 240
54 HNJO @ 378
127 MIKO @ 381

total 999

1 Cash on hand

Helios Sunshard
2007-05-30, 10:37 PM
uh? shares? this seems funny! i am on it!

well, $1000 right?

I am gonna bet for the psyco paladin:
Buy:
name: # $ cost total
MIKO 30 @ 3 = $90 -> $90
HNJO 20 @ 7 = $140 -> $230
OOTS 10 @ 12 = $120 -> $350

remaining cash: $650

I expect the good and psyco lawful guys to win, plus, i think the ghost martirs will appear soon, go guys!

someone could tell me how to use tables? thank you.

Pollux
2007-05-30, 10:48 PM
Buy:

20 RDCL: -300 gp
30 OOTS: -360 gp
60 DOOM: -240 gp

Total: 900 gp

Hold:

100 gp

Ink
2007-05-30, 10:58 PM
^^ Link on how to use tables: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2674082#post2674082

I believe trading may be frozen at this time, guys.

Ooh, ooh, I wonder how the stocks will fare from today's comic? It looks like DOOM is in trouble, thank goodness I offloaded my DOOM stock yesterday. But it looks like RDCL may be in trouble too... why oh why did I pick up more RDCL? Will there be a merger? Soon appears to have the upper hand now. Will HNJO rise?

*chews fingernails nervously*

Shoyliguad
2007-05-30, 11:01 PM
No more trading :smallcool:

DeadMech
2007-05-31, 12:23 AM
Personally I'm happy about the turn of events. I own a large number of DOOM and RDCL stock and I think they have the situation under control.

I see three possibilites on how this affects the stocks.

The best case scenario is that the fact that the lack of losses of DOOM and RDCL at this point and the losses being suffered by HNJO in the end push my stocks up. I feel this is likely because RDCL has the business territory secured and what I can only hope to be a good plan.

The second scenario is that the stock indexers consider this a merger. In which case my stocks get sold at the previous update price. In which case I break even. At least that's my understanding of it. This is also very likely.

The third scenario is that the market price of my stocks dip due to the strain on their renewable resources. I feel this is least likely because RDCL has been using his personal resources a bit more liberally than he should have been over the last week and it hadn't affected the price at all.

*crosses fingers*

I'm just disappointed I've been holding onto MIKO for so long with no change to the stock price. At this rate that money would have been better invested into a savings account or bonds.

EdgarVerona
2007-05-31, 01:07 AM
So how do we get in on this game? Looks like fun. =)

Xykon_Fan
2007-05-31, 01:25 AM
Helios and Pollux, you'll need to retrade after we update the prices...The time stamp on the Giant's notification of a new comic shows 8:30, and both of you guys had trades during the time in between when the comic went up and we closed down the trading system. Please be understanding...we can't watch for new comics constantly as some of us have other responsibilities. Thanks.

New Prices should be up tomorrow by my time (GMT -7) or so

teratorn
2007-05-31, 03:00 AM
I see three possibilites on how this affects the stocks.

Don't try to influence the guys who set the prices. This is on the toughest and everyone is curious about what they'll do.

We are now officially silly!!!!

Emperor Ing
2007-05-31, 04:31 AM
waiting for update........

Raven T.
2007-05-31, 08:19 AM
Patience, please. Some of us LIKE to sleep.:smalltongue:

Asmodeus
2007-05-31, 08:23 AM
Patience, please. Some of us LIKE to sleep.:smalltongue:

Sleep is for the weak! We demand instant satisfaction. You are now our slave, to be working and updating your project, at our beck and call, under the crack of the whip. Mwa-hahaha![/evil]

Raven T.
2007-05-31, 09:00 AM
Another outburst like that and we smite your account.:smallamused: [/kid]

Tolkien_Freak
2007-05-31, 09:30 AM
It's a good thing you started this up, I just got a PM reply from the original guy (I sent him a PM about prices 10 days ago) and he said he had never intended to put up another price update, and that it was supposed to be a one-time joke. I am VERY glad we decided to continue this, because it's a lot of fun!