PDA

View Full Version : Swordsage//Fighter advice

Rahdjan
2007-05-25, 01:16 PM
I'm making a gestalt Swordsage//Fighter and I needed some ideas for feats. I'm more than likely going to be half elven so that will give me 2 normal feats and 3 fighter feats. For my normal feats I'm definitly going to want to take adaptive style and I was thinking about sudden recovery. I'm not sure the direction I want to go with my fighter feats. My character is going to be an indirect agent of the Harpers (in FR) who basicly handles things that the Harpers can't be associated with. He will Primarily use Diamond Mind and Shadow Hand disciplines. My stats are Str 15 Dex 18 Con 16 Int 15 Wis 14 Cha 13. While my stats seem to screem weapon finesse, it doesn't really fit with how I see my character. Thanks for listening and any potential advice.

Indon
2007-05-25, 01:21 PM
You could take some archery feats; it would compliment your high Dex.

You could also take Combat Expertise with your int.

Were-Sandwich
2007-05-25, 01:26 PM
Don't take Archery feats. No maneuvers can be used with ranged attacks.

Fourth Tempter
2007-05-25, 01:29 PM
If you do not want to use Weapon Finesse, swap Strength and Dexterity (and then your new Dexterity and Constitution); Strength-based Swordsages are thoroughly viable, can use non-Shadow-Hand stances (as high-Dexterity Swordsages inevitably take Shadow Blade to receive their Dexterity bonus to damage), and consume far fewer feats (as high-Dexterity Swordsages essentially require Weapon Finesse, Shadow Blade, and the Two-Weapon Fighting line).

You could also take Weapon Finesse but play a strong physical character anyway--Bloodclaw Master has that flavor whether you use Finesse or not (and it allows you to get your full strength bonus to off-hand weapon damage, to boot).

Alternatively, if you are bound and determined to play a strngth-based character with those ability scores, you could make him a half-orc; a 17 Strength is very good, and would become an 18 soon enough. I would suggest taking the Unarmed Strike adaptation of the Swordsage (or Improved Unarmed Strike/Superior Unarmed Strike if that is not allowed) and then the Snap Kick feat.

Indon
2007-05-25, 02:12 PM
Don't take Archery feats. No maneuvers can be used with ranged attacks.

That's why you might want some archery feats, because maneuvers can't be used to compliment them. Sometimes, taking out a longbow and opening fire is a tactically good choice. And, for a character for whom high-dex is part of their 'thing', it vibes well with their character, because they'd be pretty good at it, too.

Behold_the_Void
2007-05-25, 03:56 PM
If you have one weapon you intend to use all the time, I'd go into the Weapon Specialization tree for Weapon Supremacy. With your BAB and damage from maneuvers you should carve a pretty hefty chunk out of anything you end up fighting.

I'd also switch Dex and Strength, personally.