PDA

View Full Version : Why is Transmutation School linked with crafting/clockwork stuff?

Xar Zarath
2015-10-26, 08:06 AM
What it says on the tin but I am curious why the School of Transmutation is always linked to clockwork mechanisms/magic stuff or even like golem crafting??Much of it can be linked more to necromancy school since you're giving these "constructs" life?

Telonius
2015-10-26, 08:28 AM
What it says on the tin but I am curious why the School of Transmutation is always linked to clockwork mechanisms/magic stuff or even like golem crafting??Much of it can be linked more to necromancy school since you're giving these "constructs" life?

A big theme for Golems and (most) constructs is that while they're animate, they're not exactly alive. Necromancy isn't a totally clean fit. I'm fairly sure that the original stories of the Golem of Prague, it's more of a robot or automaton than a separate being with free will and a soul. So it's more like you're changing the inert matter. In that, you also also have the alchemy connection; trying to change the properties of a lump of rock.

I think it's also because of that Alchemy connection that any kind of Mad Science usually gets tossed in the Transmutation bin. (Basically if it requires a bolt of lightning and an Igor, it's probably going to be Transmutation).

Heliomance
2015-10-26, 08:35 AM
I'd not noticed that it was, myself. As for golems, the general fluff is more usually binding an animating spirit or elemental of some description, which falls under Conjuration's purview.