PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Question about Adventure Level Requirement

BladedWizard
2015-10-26, 09:08 AM
Hi All,

I have a quick question. How would you go about to determine the PC level requirement when running an adventure that is designed for 4 to 5 PCs, but you only have 2 PCs. For example: The "Lost Mine of Phandelver" adventure suggest 4 to 5 players but I'd like to run said quest with 2 PCs only.

Would starting to level 2 be sufficient. Is there a rule or a table I can use to determine that. I have ordered the DM guide and should receive it soon.

I have a hard time finding players and I'm considering running the other adventures as well (Out of the Abyss, etc) with 2-3 players only.

Thanks for the help.
BW

Yorrin
2015-10-26, 09:19 AM
How experienced are your players with optimization? Phandelver at level two could work for talented players, but I might advise a level or two higher than that if they're relatively new. Another thought would be for each player to run two characters, though that can get confusing.

BladedWizard
2015-10-26, 09:39 AM
How experienced are your players with optimization? Phandelver at level two could work for talented players, but I might advise a level or two higher than that if they're relatively new. Another thought would be for each player to run two characters, though that can get confusing.

One player has played a lot in the past. The other one is new. Starting them at level 3 or 4 would make sense. I could increase/decrease the combat difficulty on the fly if required. I want to run the new player in a session alone. A simple lvl 1 quest just so he can get the idea.

Thank for your reply.

Joe the Rat
2015-10-26, 09:48 AM
If someone has their DMG handy, they can ballpark what level 2 PCs need to be to match challenge compared to a party of 4-5 lvl 1 PCs. That gets you a start point at least.

But for a quick setup, beginning at 2 or 3 will help. But you could also consider having a couple of NPCs to help pick up the action economy slack. Use bandit, guard, maybe acolyte if you need a healer. These are straight-up henchmen types - the PCs are in charge, they're there to do their thing. They also become the foundation for potential back-up PCs.

Experienced players (of any game) will have an easier time of it.

eastmabl
2015-10-26, 10:24 AM
I would be a little wary.

If you follow the recommended XP calculations, there is definitely strength in numbers - a party of seven can take on significantly more things than a party of four (even taking into account the extra numbers). Dropping down to two puts a group in a very precarious situation - even if they're level 3-4.

JoeJ
2015-10-26, 10:29 AM
Remember that a small party is more vulnerable to bad luck than a large one is. A lucky shot that takes out one of the PCs has a much bigger impact on a party of 2 than on a party of 6.

BladedWizard
2015-10-26, 10:52 AM
Thanks all for your feedback. It does make a lot of sense that a group of 2, regardless of their level, will have more difficulties. Hopefully I'll find at least another player and then I could add an NPC to help them. That wouldn't be to hard.

Thanks again.
BW

Vogonjeltz
2015-10-26, 06:05 PM
Thanks all for your feedback. It does make a lot of sense that a group of 2, regardless of their level, will have more difficulties. Hopefully I'll find at least another player and then I could add an NPC to help them. That wouldn't be to hard.

Thanks again.
BW

You could always run the remaining characters as DMPCs. Have them defer to the players in what they do (or have predetermined courses of action for them in the story absent player interaction).