PDA

View Full Version : Epic, Mythic wizard vs an army of Cthulus?

The Vagabond
2015-10-26, 10:18 AM
Just a random thought I had-

In a Pathfinder game with 3.5 materials allowed, could a level 30, Archmage Tier 10 wizard handle multiple Great Old One's attacking at once? How many could one take at any given time? How quickly can he defeat Cthlulhu

Edit: Take their stats from their Pathfinder incarnations, in this case, here's Cthulhu (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/aberrations/great-old-ones/great-old-one-cthulhu)

Florian
2015-10-26, 10:20 AM
Sticking to Lovecraft canon: None.

Eldan
2015-10-26, 10:22 AM
No, sticking to Lovecraft canon, we don't have the slightest idea. Cthulhu appears in one story, does nothing for a bit and then goes back to sleep. We know a boat doesn't kill him, not quite and that he's quite big. Nothing else about him is known at all. He could be anything from a colossal aberration with about 10 HD and some regeneration to a literal god.

So, unless you define Cthulhu's abilities from some non-canon sources, we have no idea what he is, what he can do or what it takes to kill him.

Lalliman
2015-10-26, 10:29 AM
The thing is that what many people regard as Lovecraft canon includes the work of other writers who were closely inspired by him.

As for the D&D version of Cthulhu, you tell me, you've got his stats right there. With sufficient cheese, my bet is on yes.

Gnaeus
2015-10-26, 11:45 AM
With epic spellcasting, the wizard can go to a fast time plane and prepare a (destroy cthulhu) and (Immune to cthulhu spell). This takes a long time (subjectively to the wizard, who takes a while to prepare the spells), and a short time (subjectively to cthulhu, since the wizard is spending his time in a special fast time plane.)

Without epic spellcasting, its a normal wizard duel. Astrally projected wizard spams wish and gate while astrally projected cthulhu spams wish and gate. Both have access to all spells. C is unkillable, but you said defeat, not kill, and he is defeatable.

Eldan
2015-10-26, 11:49 AM
Well, trapping his soul would still defeat Cthulhu, as that also prevents true resurrection. They could probably still wish each other back, but that's once per day. That said, they have wish as an SLA, and that's just magnificiently open-ended, so you can't really defend against it.

Curmudgeon
2015-10-26, 11:55 AM
The question doesn't make sense. As Eldan noted, Cthulhu doesn't have stats, so linking to some imagined stats for this being presupposes an answer. There is no actual answer.

Gnaeus
2015-10-26, 11:58 AM
Then there is the problem of dealing with high level clerics of cthulhu, who can presumably miracle.

Trap the soul might work but given SR 41 and Will save +33, and that hyperintelligent Cthulhu with wish can use Spell Immunity: Trap the Soul, I think we are really back to a question whether the epic casting rules are in play or not.

Platymus Pus
2015-10-26, 11:58 AM
There is no defeating cthulu as noted in the PF version.

Cirrylius
2015-10-26, 12:01 PM
No, sticking to Lovecraft canon, we don't have the slightest idea. Cthulhu appears in one story, does nothing for a bit and then goes back to sleep. We know a boat doesn't kill him, not quite and that he's quite big. Nothing else about him is known at all. He could be anything from a colossal aberration with about 10 HD and some regeneration to a literal god.

So, unless you define Cthulhu's abilities from some non-canon sources, we have no idea what he is, what he can do or what it takes to kill him.

Worse, there's other material that makes a good argument that the Xothian that lurched out of R'lyeh wasn't even Cthulhu, just some much lesser blood-related abomination who happened to be in the right place when the stars were aaaaaaaaalmost right.

Fictional coverage of the... bigger Mythos entities is fragmentary, contradictory, transient, and fraught with uncertainty (not least because they hail from regions of time and space where the physical constants of the universe itself are revealed to be fragmentary, contradictory, transient, and unpredictable, to human understanding). Best use whatever official 3.X they got statted in.

dascarletm
2015-10-26, 04:57 PM
Does trapping it in an area affected by AMF and surrounded by walls of force count?

Fouredged Sword
2015-10-26, 08:30 PM
The question doesn't make sense. As Eldan noted, Cthulhu doesn't have stats, so linking to some imagined stats for this being presupposes an answer. There is no actual answer.

He eats 1d6 investigators per round.

Aharon
2015-10-27, 06:43 AM
Do we consider the published stats from the Call of Cthulhu d20 rulebook official for this purpose?

Does casting work as normal, or per CoC d20 rules, where casting causes insanity?

Yael
2015-10-27, 11:30 AM
Do we consider the published stats from the Call of Cthulhu d20 rulebook official for this purpose?

Does casting work as normal, or per CoC d20 rules, where casting causes insanity?

I was just thinking of the very same sourcebook.

It stands as a CR 34, 42 HD Colossal Great Old One (a new type, that I think has the best of everything, regarding HD size, Saves, BAB, and Skill points).

He casts all the spells noted in the corebook at 40th Caster Level, each 1/day. expanding that list to the PHB (or PF's SRD), and swapping his feats should be enough, imo.

Starbuck_II
2015-10-27, 10:02 PM

It causes Cthluhu to go insane. Which is how he normally is thus he goes Sane and becomes Good.

He then goes on to save the universe vs the Creeping Darkness (tm).

ryu
2015-10-27, 10:20 PM
He eats 1d6 investigators per round.

That's trivial for minionmancy to solve.

Sayt
2015-10-27, 10:48 PM
You can banish one of Dread Cthulhu back to his baby-bed back in Sleeping R'yleh with oh, I don't know, 1608 explosive runes split evenly between two books. Throw it in, and Dispel Magic the book, choose to fail, chain reaction for 804d6 damage. Then do it gain when He reforms.

Use Celerity and action economy cheats the wizard gets and you can banish as many as half the explosive manuals you have in your bag of holding.

That said, this is contingent on being able to tank a DC40 will save, but I assume that's plausible for a Mythic Fullcaster.

Rubik
2015-10-27, 11:19 PM
He eats 1d6 investigators per round.Only 1d6? Unless those investigators are Pun Puns and overdeities, I'm pretty sure that's not good enough.

Curmudgeon
2015-10-28, 12:37 AM
You can banish one of Dread Cthulhu back to his baby-bed back in Sleeping R'yleh with oh, I don't know, 1608 explosive runes split evenly between two books. Throw it in, and Dispel Magic the book, choose to fail, chain reaction for 804d6 damage.
Cthulhu eats you.

You can choose to succeed on Dispel Magic if you cast the spell. You cannot choose to fail.
Destroying an Explosive Runes parchment does not trigger the spell; it instead destroys the spell.