PDA

View Full Version : Ability balance

Submortimer
2015-10-26, 11:01 AM
I'm not sure if this would go better here or on the homebrew page, but I'll throw it here to see how you all feel.

So, I'm developing a class that focuses on cantrips. while it's basically done, there's an optional ability that I need some opinions on.

Unerring Strike
Prerequisite: Level 10 (in this specific class), True Strike cantrip.
When you cast True Strike, instead of gaining advantage, you may choose for your next attack to automatically hit instead.

What do you guys think?
Obviously, reading it initially, it seems terribly OP, but I've run several sets of numbers and it just doesn't seem that bad:
- You cannot use it to proc critical hits
- You cannot use it to proc sneak attack (at least, not by itself)
- the action economy is awful, considering True strike still costs an action.

How should I change it? What would make more sense as a natural upgrade to True strike?

This be Richard
2015-10-26, 11:08 AM
Rather than buffing the positive outcome that True Strike already has, I'd probably want to reduce the severity of one of its problems, like its action economy issue or the fact that it requires concentration and thus can't be used parallel to more useful concentration effects.

Maybe turn it into a bonus action, but still specify that the attack that has advantage must still occur on the following turn, leaving the concentration part in? I'm not sure how that balances.

Kryx
2015-10-26, 11:11 AM
Doesn't that already exist? Warlock 2 + X 18 is already the best cantrip caster. He does more damage than martials 17+.

On the topic of this specific ability: Auto hit is not used in the game and I'd be very inclined to continue not using it. Auto hitting isn't fun and can present some balance issues.
True Strike isn't really a good cantrip. I'd focus on fixing it directly instead of trying to make it viable in this one case.

Take it for what you will~

eastmabl
2015-10-26, 11:20 AM
In 5e, dice rolls matter. Like Kryx says, doing away with dice rolls to hit/save is something that should be done sparingly.

As a thought for something that automatically hits but doesn't do damage, make a cantrip which (1) can be cast as a bonus action to be used with a weapon, and (2) makes the target pass a Constitution saving throw or suffer weapon damage.

Then, the player doesn't have to make an attack, there is some form of a roll, and the player can choose to target AC for low AC/high HP monsters, or Constitution STs for the high AC/low HP monsters.

Dunno - just a thought.

locke411
2015-10-26, 11:24 AM
Seems like it could be powerful with a guaranteed hit on a big spell (disintegrate, etc.)

Kryx
2015-10-26, 11:26 AM
As a thought for something that automatically hits but doesn't do damage, make a cantrip which (1) can be cast as a bonus action to be used with a weapon, and (2) makes the target pass a Constitution saving throw or suffer weapon damage.
One of 5e's stated goals was to do away with multiple forms of AC. Old editions had touch AC, flat-footed AC, flat-footed touch AC, str def, dex def, con def, etc etc etc.

I would not recommend moving away from that. It's one of the reasons Mystic received some poor feedback - they used Int as AC for one of its abilities.

Submortimer
2015-10-26, 12:20 PM
Lots of good ideas. I had tossed out both the "it's a bonus action" idea and the "add +10 to your attack roll" idea, because then it'd be too good. I'm thinking perhaps expanding it to all attacks in the following round gain advantage vice just the first attack.

Submortimer
2015-10-26, 12:24 PM
Doesn't that already exist? Warlock 2 + X 18 is already the best cantrip caster. He does more damage than martials 17+.

On the topic of this specific ability: Auto hit is not used in the game and I'd be very inclined to continue not using it. Auto hitting isn't fun and can present some balance issues.
True Strike isn't really a good cantrip. I'd focus on fixing it directly instead of trying to make it viable in this one case.

Take it for what you will~

1. Warlocks are great for damage. The class I'm working on is about using many cantrips, vice just one, and isn't all about damage.

2. Magic missile, anyone? Auto hit isn't used in many places, but it's there...

3. That's kinda what I'm trying to do. What does a good True Strike spell look like that ISN'T too powerful?

eastmabl
2015-10-26, 06:30 PM
2. Magic missile, anyone? Auto hit isn't used in many places, but it's there...

Cue up Tevya - an unerring magic missile is all about tradition.

One of 5e's stated goals was to do away with multiple forms of AC. Old editions had touch AC, flat-footed AC, flat-footed touch AC, str def, dex def, con def, etc etc etc.

I would not recommend moving away from that. It's one of the reasons Mystic received some poor feedback - they used Int as AC for one of its abilities.

While your point isn't entirely unwarranted, this isn't "more different AC." This is a cantrip which is forcing a saving throw or suffering damage - like sacred flame (Wis ST) or poison spray (Con ST).

Admittedly, the potential to get weapon damage (including sneak attack) might make it overpowered. Then again, I was tossing an idea out, not presenting a complete cantrip.

Sepok
2015-10-26, 07:18 PM
I think the main problem with True Strike is that it is a combat cantrip that does not scale with level. I have house-ruled it to the following:

 1-4 - As written.
 at 5th - An additional ally within range gains the bonus against the target enemy.
 at 11th - Two additional allies within range gain the bonus against the target enemy.
 at 17th - Duration increases to 1 minute, and it no longer requires Concentration. If it is cast again, the effects of the previous casting end immediately.

I left it as a full Action so it would not overpower the Bardic Inspiration ability. And this also keeps it from overpowering the Mastermind Rogue's Help action ability.