PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Dragon Origin Sorcerer

BladedWizard
2015-10-26, 11:04 AM
Hi guys,

Not sure if this has been discussed already. I could not find anything and I'm on this forum everyday.

Here's my question.

Would you guys consider giving a dragon origin sorcerer the ability to cast all elemental themed spells into the element of their dragon origin OP? Or maybe I could grant a sorcerer the ability to change the type of element of a few spells per day which reset on short or long rest?

We all know that the red or gold dragon are the best since there are more fire themed spells compared to green dragon with their acid element.

I just hate when a class forces player into a given theme because of lack of options.

What are your thoughts on this?

Again thanks for your feedback.

Ninja_Prawn
2015-10-26, 11:07 AM
I would have no problem with giving them a free elemental attack cantrip to match their origin, and if they wanted homebrew spells added to the game (that they'd still have to acquire in the normal ways), I'd be happy to do that. Any more than that, and you'd have to be a bit more careful.

hymer
2015-10-26, 11:13 AM
It depends a lot on the kind of energy in question. Turning things to into frost or fire? It's a small boost, giving more options as it does, but could be okay. It does rather advance the subclass that needs it the least, though.
Lightning or acid would be more problematic, as there are fewer creatures with resistance or immunity to those.
Poison is harder to judge. It's the least dependable damage type, but I think it's also the one least likely to be dealt by sorcerers.

GWJ_DanyBoy
2015-10-26, 11:27 AM
In my current campaign, I offered to give Dragon Sorcs 1 spell of their element for each spell level (So a total of 9 extra spells known), and to adapt a spell to suit their element if one didn't already exist. And I threw in another Metamagic learned at level 7.
No one took me up on it, and the party got a druid and a wizard for casters instead.

Addaran
2015-10-26, 05:02 PM
Kryx did a good analysis of the different caster and proposed something. Might want to check it out. =)

Can't post a link :smallfrown: but he wrote it the 2015-05-04.

Free elemental resistance is something i've wanted since reading the rules. And the extra spells of appropriate element helps out at all level!

StealthyRobot
2015-10-26, 10:01 PM
One of my players is a sorc with a silver (frost) dragon as an ancestor. There's alot of elemental evil spells that invovle cold damage, and for other spells where there is a different elemental version of it I will allow homebrew spells, and later on will let the character research new spells in game.

Mara
2015-10-26, 10:16 PM
I would offer alternative spells rather than letting them change on the fly.

And those spells would be for that particular draconic bloodline.