PDA

View Full Version : Sneak attacks on attacks of opportunity

Nashira
2015-10-26, 11:48 AM
Is it possible to get sneak attacks on an attack of opportunity? As in all the time, not just when you're invisible or whatever else would grant them normally. I'm looking for feats, class features, and anything else that might give this outside of just the conditions of the battle.

3.5 by the way, and thanks.

Curmudgeon
2015-10-26, 11:56 AM
If you qualify for sneak attack damage, you get sneak attack damage. Normally there aren't any special differences for sneak attack on AoOs. If you want an AoO to qualify you for sneak attack damage, the Epic feat Sneak Attack of Opportunity (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/feats.htm#sneakAttackOfOpportunity) does exactly that.

Necroticplague
2015-10-26, 11:58 AM
Is it possible to get sneak attacks on an attack of opportunity? As in all the time, not just when you're invisible or whatever else would grant them normally. I'm looking for feats, class features, and anything else that might give this outside of just the conditions of the battle.

3.5 by the way, and thanks.

Sneak Attack of Opportunity feat does exactly what you seem to want, turning all AoOs into SA.

Fouredged Sword
2015-10-26, 12:00 PM
Yes, look for ways to be gain a sneak attack allowing condition in a flexible manner. Isles of Blades costs two feats and let you flank from any angle. Besides that, look for ways to deny the opponents their dex bonus that do not disappear when you attack.

gorfnab
2015-10-26, 05:54 PM
If you qualify for sneak attack damage, you get sneak attack damage. Normally there aren't any special differences for sneak attack on AoOs. If you want an AoO to qualify you for sneak attack damage, the Epic feat Sneak Attack of Opportunity (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/feats.htm#sneakAttackOfOpportunity) does exactly that.
The non Epic version of the feat is in Dragon #340.

Curmudgeon
2015-10-27, 02:25 AM
The non Epic version of the feat is in Dragon #340.
Yes, but that feat only works at most once per round. (If you fail to hit on the first AoO it fails entirely.)

MortalSword
2015-10-28, 05:39 PM
That's why it's non-epic

daremetoidareyo
2015-10-28, 06:04 PM
Superior flank teamwork benefit from heroes of horror will help you flank harder. And from a sneak attackable distance. And you can even train the druids animal companion to help with flanking.

Andezzar
2015-10-28, 06:42 PM
A reach weapon that can also attack within your natural reach (e.g. spiked chain), combat reflexes, vexing flanker and adaptable flanker lets you sneak attack anyone who is no larger than your natural reach. As long as you have designated that creature with a swift action and are adjacent to it, this also works outside your turn.

Nashira
2015-10-28, 07:32 PM
So far my favorite is the dragon mag feat. It's easy to understand and keep track of and my player who is asking about this will definitely prefer the simpler solution.

kulosle
2015-10-29, 06:16 AM
Well there are lots of spells that help you flank. I'm trying to find ones that don't take an action to direct. If one does exist than make an item (pricey i'm sure) that has that spell going continuously.

Fouredged Sword
2015-10-29, 06:44 AM
I once had a fellow player try to argue that he had enough ranks in handle animal to teach a war-monkey (warbeast monkey) how to wield a longspear (untrained) and retrain it's feats into martial study and martial stance using a power stone of reformation. The idea was that the monkey would threaten the same spaces as the character while it rode on his back. The monkey also caused flanking from any angle, meaning the rogue always flanked everyone.

The DM threw the idea out, but I think it was RAW.

Necroticplague
2015-10-29, 07:31 AM
I once had a fellow player try to argue that he had enough ranks in handle animal to teach a war-monkey (warbeast monkey) how to wield a longspear (untrained) and retrain it's feats into martial study and martial stance using a power stone of reformation. The idea was that the monkey would threaten the same spaces as the character while it rode on his back. The monkey also caused flanking from any angle, meaning the rogue always flanked everyone.

The DM threw the idea out, but I think it was RAW.

Monkeys are Tiny, and thus have reach 0. Reach weapons double your reach. 2*0=0. This doesn't work.

Fouredged Sword
2015-10-29, 07:36 AM
A tiny dragon would work. They have a 5ft reach on their bite attack. If one takes the planer touchstone feat to get the earth domain granted ability you can rebuke to command a wyrmling copper dragon at level 10 (or 5 if you use cheese). The dragon has 5 feats and as an intelligent creature can pick up martial study and martial stance. Psychic reformation ensures it has the feats you want.

daremetoidareyo
2015-10-29, 07:49 AM
A tiny dragon would work. They have a 5ft reach on their bite attack. If one takes the planer touchstone feat to get the earth domain granted ability you can rebuke to command a wyrmling copper dragon at level 10 (or 5 if you use cheese). The dragon has 5 feats and as an intelligent creature can pick up martial study and martial stance. Psychic reformation ensures it has the feats you want.

Can the dragon use ride checks to negate one attack against the rogue with the mounted combat feat.

Fouredged Sword
2015-10-29, 07:57 AM
Can the dragon use ride checks to negate one attack against the rogue with the mounted combat feat.

Yes, but the dragon suffers from the penalty for an unusual mount and you need an exotic saddle. The dragon can also wield a riding shield and grant you a small AC bonus.