PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Wizard punches

Flashkannon
2015-10-26, 12:32 PM
Okay, so I have a bit of an odd issue. I play a level 15 Wizard (well, Wizard 10 Abjurant Champion 5, but still) and I have found my way into a situation where I need to deal significant damage to a succubus with a punch. Since my unarmed damage is normally just 1d3+1, I need to find a way to boost my damage to a level that would actually hurt my target. I do plan on using Bull's Strength and Arcane Boost to increase the damage, but even if I burn an 8th level spell I'm still only looking at 1d3+19 damage. Are there any tricks I'm missing? I'd like to knock her out with this if at all possible, but at base I need to do at least a third of her health.

nyjastul69
2015-10-26, 12:41 PM
Fist of Stone (SC pg. 94) as a 1st level spell might be a better base than Bull's Strenght.

ILM
2015-10-26, 12:45 PM
A few ideas:
- size expansion: Enlarge Person and Greater Mighty Wallop would be a good start.
- Greater Magic Weapon: hey, why not
- I always liked Ferocity of Sanguine Rage from Dragon Magic. +CL/2 damage, and a free True Strike (still have to blow a standard action though)
- I'm going to suggest Polymorph because if I don't someone else will.

A succubus has 33 hp, you're already more than halfway there.

Taveena
2015-10-26, 12:46 PM
Heroism into Improved Unarmed Strike, maybe?

Vrock_Summoner
2015-10-26, 12:48 PM
A succubus has 33 hp, you're already more than halfway there.
Damage Reduction disagrees, unless this guy has a fist made of cold iron or pure Goodness.

ILM
2015-10-26, 12:57 PM
Good point. 43 hp then for OP's purposes.

Flickerdart
2015-10-26, 01:03 PM
Remember that you can deliver a touch spell with a regular melee attack if you hold the charge. Cast a nasty touch-range damage spell, then sock her across the jaw.

Taveena
2015-10-26, 01:03 PM
Good point. 43 hp then for OP's purposes.

DR is gonna apply multiple times unless they CAN hit for 43.

Iku Rex
2015-10-26, 01:06 PM
What are the rules for "the punch"?

Do you have time to prepare? (Learn new spells? Buy items?)
Edit: If not, you obviously need to share more about your characters current capabilties.

Necroticplague
2015-10-26, 01:08 PM
You could try Polymorphing into a bigger creature for more damage and higher Strength to add more pow to your fist.

sleepyphoenixx
2015-10-26, 01:25 PM
Damage Reduction disagrees, unless this guy has a fist made of cold iron or pure Goodness.

Heroics - Martial Study(Mountain Hammer) is your friend. Not only does it allow you to bypass any DR, it also adds 2d6 damage. Combine it with Greater Mighty Wallop and you should be good.

Flashkannon
2015-10-26, 02:33 PM
What are the rules for "the punch"?

Do you have time to prepare? (Learn new spells? Buy items?)
Edit: If not, you obviously need to share more about your characters current capabilties.

I have like 1-2 days prep time, so I've got time to teleport back to the nearest city and buy some items or learn a few spells, but not nearly enough to retrain anything or make anything beyond really minor magic items.

Heroics - Martial Study(Mountain Hammer)

What manual is this from? Google has been unhelpful.

Grod_The_Giant
2015-10-26, 02:35 PM
Heroics is from Spell Compendium; Martial Study and the Mountain Strike maneuver are from Tome of Battle.

Fouredged Sword
2015-10-26, 02:37 PM
If you can get something that allows you to target your fists as a weapon, try greater mighty wallop. A gauntlet sounds like what you need. Fabricate one.

Necroticplague
2015-10-26, 02:37 PM

Tome of battle.

Heroics is online.

Red Fel
2015-10-26, 02:40 PM

These are three different things.

Heroics is a spell that temporarily grants you a Fighter Bonus Feat. Martial Study is a feat from Tome of Battle which allows you to learn one maneuver for which you qualify. Mountain Hammer is a maneuver from ToB that deals a bonus 2d6 and overcomes DR, easy.

Flashkannon
2015-10-26, 03:13 PM
These are three different things.

Heroics is a spell that temporarily grants you a Fighter Bonus Feat. Martial Study is a feat from Tome of Battle which allows you to learn one maneuver for which you qualify. Mountain Hammer is a maneuver from ToB that deals a bonus 2d6 and overcomes DR, easy.

That is so convoluted. I love it!

Okay, so with Greater Mighty Wallop, Bull's Strength (I'm going with that over Fist of Stone because someone in our party already knows Bull's Strength), the Arcane Boost, and that inspired piece of minmaxing, I'm up to 1d10+2d6+19 damage, which is 22-41 damage that ignores DR. If I also add on Shivering Touch as a touch attack, it should accomplish the intended effect quite handily. Thank you all for your help. This should be a punch to remember.:smallamused:

StreamOfTheSky
2015-10-26, 03:21 PM

Cold Iron gauntlets exist and are dirt cheap. Really not an issue...

Rebel7284
2015-10-26, 03:49 PM
That is so convoluted. I love it!

Okay, so with Greater Mighty Wallop, Bull's Strength (I'm going with that over Fist of Stone because someone in our party already knows Bull's Strength), the Arcane Boost, and that inspired piece of minmaxing, I'm up to 1d10+2d6+19 damage, which is 22-41 damage that ignores DR. If I also add on Shivering Touch as a touch attack, it should accomplish the intended effect quite handily. Thank you all for your help. This should be a punch to remember.:smallamused:

hmr, that doesn't seem to guarantee an auto-kill, which makes me sad. Quickened True Strike makes it more likely that you will not miss (or alternatively Wraithstrike to hit touch AC.)

Circlet of Rapid Casting is the most cost effective way to get Quicken Spell if you don't have the feat already.

Then you can pick up Power Attack either with another casting of Heroics, or with Bite of the Werebear.

Memorize Alter Fortune so you can re-roll that natural one by paying a couple of XP.

There, you auto-kill a standard succubus 399 out of 400 times with a single strike.