PDA

View Full Version : Speculation sundering homebrew sprculation.

1Forge
2015-10-26, 01:12 PM
So I use "sundering" in ny games by applying the cover rules (basically in plate rolling 1-10+dex if applied means blocked or dodged +2 and it his a shield if any and everything else would hit the armour itself.)
The one issue I cant seem to find a good way of giving armour /items appropriate HP and determining how much damage a weapon would do if you targeted it.

Missing a hit and "hitting" the armour should do less or no damage but targeting someone's armour should with appropriate weapons. (the ac to hit someone's armour specifically is 10+dex if applicable+any other modifiers. So to hit a soldier in full plate with no modifiers you would have to roll higher than 10)

Plz don't just comment saying you hate sundering if you don't like it just don't use it.

Vogonjeltz
2015-10-26, 06:07 PM
So I use "sundering" in ny games by applying the cover rules (basically in plate rolling 1-10+dex if applied means blocked or dodged +2 and it his a shield if any and everything else would hit the armour itself.)
The one issue I cant seem to find a good way of giving armour /items appropriate HP and determining how much damage a weapon would do if you targeted it.

Missing a hit and "hitting" the armour should do less or no damage but targeting someone's armour should with appropriate weapons. (the ac to hit someone's armour specifically is 10+dex if applicable+any other modifiers. So to hit a soldier in full plate with no modifiers you would have to roll higher than 10)

Plz don't just comment saying you hate sundering if you don't like it just don't use it.

DMG 246-247 has information on the statistics of Objects. It assumes that the player hits automatically, and they are rolling to see if the item is even damaged (assuming they are using something that has a chance of damaging the object in question).

Basically here are things you need to consider:

AC = How difficult is it to damage the object when striking at it?
Hit points = fragile or resilient?
objects and damage types = immune to some, vulnerable to others?
Damage threshold = is the object immune to all damage below a certain amount? i.e. steel is so tough you'd have to deal at least 5 points damage from a single attack to even harm it, and anything below 5 simply doesn't affect the object's hp at all. Not DR, but a minimum to do anything.

I guess it depends on the weapons involved. I'd let edged weapons sunder wooden hafted weapons, maybe in the right circumstances I'd let a weapon sunder a shield, or start punching through armor...but typically it would just be more efficient for the players to attack the enemy directly and kill/incapcitate them, or just disarm them.

1Forge
2015-10-26, 06:33 PM
DMG 246-247 has information on the statistics of Objects. It assumes that the player hits automatically, and they are rolling to see if the item is even damaged (assuming they are using something that has a chance of damaging the object in question).

Basically here are things you need to consider:

AC = How difficult is it to damage the object when striking at it?
Hit points = fragile or resilient?
objects and damage types = immune to some, vulnerable to others?
Damage threshold = is the object immune to all damage below a certain amount? i.e. steel is so tough you'd have to deal at least 5 points damage from a single attack to even harm it, and anything below 5 simply doesn't affect the object's hp at all. Not DR, but a minimum to do anything.

I guess it depends on the weapons involved. I'd let edged weapons sunder wooden hafted weapons, maybe in the right circumstances I'd let a weapon sunder a shield, or start punching through armor...but typically it would just be more efficient for the players to attack the enemy directly and kill/incapcitate them, or just disarm them.

usually but i sometimes let my players do it to hit more easily even if it severely lowers their damage (if not stopping it)

1Forge
2015-10-26, 07:07 PM
Maybe we could just add all the modifiers you said? So plate would be 19+18+18 so that's 55...id say its resistant to all non bludgeoning damage, immune to psychic and poison. And I'd give it a damage threshold of about 6. (pair each armour with the one next to it and count the groups the number your group is in the list is its threshold)

Its not perfect but it could work.

Malifice
2015-10-26, 10:24 PM
If you want armor damage rules just strip a point of AC off armor on a critical hit.

Done.