PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Fighting on a Huge Spiderweb

nakedonmyfoldin
2015-10-26, 02:13 PM
I was just curious if there are any suggestions or actual rules regarding battle on a giant spiderweb. I don't think balance would be the right skill, so maybe just Dex or you're stuck, and a successful Dex allows half move speed? I just wanted to see if anyone has a developed system for this

Red Fel
2015-10-26, 02:23 PM
This is the Web (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/web.htm) spell. Here's what it says about maneuvering on a webbed area.

Anyone in the effect’s area when the spell is cast must make a Reflex save. If this save succeeds, the creature is entangled, but not prevented from moving, though moving is more difficult than normal for being entangled (see below). If the save fails, the creature is entangled and can’t move from its space, but can break loose by spending 1 round and making a DC 20 Strength check or a DC 25 Escape Artist check. Once loose (either by making the initial Reflex save or a later Strength check or Escape Artist check), a creature remains entangled, but may move through the web very slowly. Each round devoted to moving allows the creature to make a new Strength check or Escape Artist check. The creature moves 5 feet for each full 5 points by which the check result exceeds 10.

If you have at least 5 feet of web between you and an opponent, it provides cover. If you have at least 20 feet of web between you, it provides total cover.

The strands of a web spell are flammable. A magic flaming sword can slash them away as easily as a hand brushes away cobwebs. Any fire can set the webs alight and burn away 5 square feet in 1 round. All creatures within flaming webs take 2d4 points of fire damage from the flames.

So, here's what I would suggest. Ignore the initial Reflex save. Every creature on the web (except for spiders, or creatures normally resistant to moving on webs) is entangled. The entangled status provides as follows (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/conditionSummary.htm#entangled):
The character is ensnared. Being entangled impedes movement, but does not entirely prevent it unless the bonds are anchored to an immobile object or tethered by an opposing force. An entangled creature moves at half speed, cannot run or charge, and takes a -2 penalty on all attack rolls and a -4 penalty to Dexterity. An entangled character who attempts to cast a spell must make a Concentration check (DC 15 + the spell’s level) or lose the spell.
Additionally, the web provides cover and is flammable, as per the spell.

That's all. Entangled status, cover, flammable.

nakedonmyfoldin
2015-10-26, 02:32 PM
Just curious, why would the web provide cover? I'm imagining the pcs walking atop the webs.

Red Fel
2015-10-26, 02:36 PM
Just curious, why would the web provide cover? I'm imagining the pcs walking atop the webs.

It's if there were layers or strands between them. The web might or might not be perfectly horizontal, for instance - there might be strands extending from any given part to a wall or pillar. Or the web itself could have ridges, hills, and valleys, offering both obstacles to movement and tactical concealment.

Obviously, if you play it as a perfectly flat but sticky plane, you can disregard the cover element.

nakedonmyfoldin
2015-10-26, 02:39 PM
Alright, that makes sense, i'll give the cover aspect some thought, maybe have fewer spiders to make up for the cover.

Fouredged Sword
2015-10-26, 02:47 PM
Also, I am vaguely remembering a drow of the underdark spell that let you walk on webs. I can't recall the name and I may be wrong. Worth knowing about ahead of time.

Red Fel
2015-10-26, 02:53 PM
Also, I am vaguely remembering a drow of the underdark spell that let you walk on webs. I can't recall the name and I may be wrong. Worth knowing about ahead of time.

Well, a quick search reveals that, once again, Freedom of Movement gives protection from a Web spell. Incorporeality, such as that provided by Ghostform, is also effective. The Kuo-Toa Skin spell from Stormwrack explicitly protects you from webs. This last one is actually a very low-level spell, and lasts for hours/level, so it's a pretty solid choice.