PDA

View Full Version : Let's... Post Some Cool Quotes

8BitNinja
2015-10-26, 02:23 PM
Share a cool quote from something

"Hold your ground, hold your ground! Sons of Gondor, of Rohan, my brothers! I see in your eyes the same fear that would take the heart of me. A day may come when the courage of men fails, when we forsake our friends and break all bonds of fellowship, but it is not this day. An hour of wolves and shattered shields, when the age of men comes crashing down! But it is not this day! This day we fight! By all that you hold dear on this good Earth, I bid you *stand, Men of the West!*" -Aragorn, Lord of the Rings

Fragenstein
2015-10-26, 02:33 PM
Socrates: "I drank what?"

Ravens_cry
2015-10-26, 02:33 PM
"Trouble rather the tiger in his lair than the sage among his books. For to you kingdoms and their armies are things mighty and enduring, but to him they are but toys of the moment, to be overturned with the flick of a finger.” Gordon R. Dickson.
Also, "Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup."

Kymme
2015-10-26, 02:39 PM
G.K. Chesterton - “Fairy tales do not tell children the dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed.”

comicshorse
2015-10-26, 02:44 PM
“For when the One Great Scorer comes
To mark against your name,
He writes - not that you won or lost -
But how you played the Game. "

Grantland Rice

Clertar
2015-10-26, 04:31 PM
https://qph.is.quoracdn.net/main-qimg-05312171b3acc0a049a1cfc0ae8bc9a6?convert_to_webp=t rue

Batou1976
2015-10-27, 12:46 AM
"You've failed me for the last time, Admiral."
-Darth Vader (Star Wars, Episode V)

Killer Angel
2015-10-27, 02:48 AM
"if you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"

- A. Einstein

factotum
2015-10-27, 03:02 AM
"The air is subtly different at the edge of the world." --Anon

(I can't actually remember where I read that--I think it was the first sentence of a short story, but I can't remember who wrote it).

8BitNinja
2015-10-27, 09:32 AM
"Most test subjects do experience some cognitive deterioration after a few months in suspension. Now you've been under for... quite a lot longer, and it's not out of the question that you might have a very minor case of serious brain damage." - Wheatley, Portal 2

GAAD
2015-10-27, 10:43 AM
"There are three types of teachers in the world.
The peer will tell you that it is wrong.
The critic will tell you how it is wrong.
The expert will tell you why it is wrong.
Seek the expert."

-Me :smallsmile:

HandofShadows
2015-10-27, 10:52 AM
"Beer is proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy." made up by someone who wants to sell beer and use Ben Franklin's name to do it.

"It's a TRAP!"

"Stupidity is contagious."

"Nuke the site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure."

factotum
2015-10-27, 11:07 AM
"There are three types of teachers in the world.
The peer will tell you that it is wrong.
The critic will tell you how it is wrong.
The expert will tell you why it is wrong.
Seek the expert."

Reminds me of an old engineering joke:

The end user knows that hitting it makes it work. The technician knows where to hit it to make it work. And the engineer knows why hitting it there makes it work.

Traab
2015-10-27, 11:11 AM
"I have no idea. People who boast about their iq are losers."

Stephen Hawking upon being asked about his IQ.

"When I was a child my mother said to me,"if you become a solider, you'll be a general, if you become a monk you will end up the pope." Instead I became a painter, and wound up as Picasso."

"Dont fear failure. Not failure, but low aim, is the crime. In great attempts it is glorious even to fail."

Bruce Lee

"Im genetic garbage."

Danny Devito

TheThan
2015-10-27, 02:01 PM
{scrubbed}

Sapphire Guard
2015-10-27, 03:58 PM
Kallor said: “I walked this land when the T’lan Imass were but children. I have commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I have spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?”

“Yes,” said Caladan Brood, “you never learn.”

-Malazan book of the fallen.

"I greet you as guests and so I will not crush the life from you and devour your souls with peals of laughter. No, instead I will make some tea."

Gothos, from same.

Bhu
2015-10-27, 06:26 PM
'Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man.'

'The most common lie is that which one lies to himself; lying to others is relatively an exception.'

'The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently.'

Pex
2015-10-27, 06:33 PM
"How rude!" - Michelle Tanner, Jar-Jar Binks

FLHerne
2015-10-27, 06:43 PM
"He went right through an inch thick wooden windscreen as if it were paper, left his rubber face behind, and finally came to a halt 710 feet downrange. Clearly, some damnable forces of physics were at work."
-- from an article about Capt. John Stapp's rocket-sled testing.

"There are no buttons to push. There are no buttons not to push. All perish here."
-- Dr McNinja

Rater202
2015-10-27, 07:09 PM
"That's right. I don't create swords. I create a world that contains infinite swords. This is the only magic allowed for me. There's no need to be surprised. These are all imitations. As you say, these are all trifling swords. But there is no rule that says an imitation cannot defeat the original. If you say you are the original, I will surpass every one of your weapons and destroy your existence. Here I come, King of Heroes! Do you have enough swords in stock?"
-Shirou Emiya, speaking to Gilgamesh.

comicshorse
2015-10-27, 07:36 PM
"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter. "

Ernest Hemmingway

Pex
2015-10-27, 10:22 PM
"Bowties are cool." - The Doctor

DataNinja
2015-10-30, 08:53 AM
Reminds me of an old engineering joke:

The end user knows that hitting it makes it work. The technician knows where to hit it to make it work. And the engineer knows why hitting it there makes it work.

Ah, that reminds me of some of my favorite Douglas Adams quotes:

"The difference between something that might go wrong and something that cannot possibly go wrong, is that when something that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong, it is usually impossible to get at or repair."

"If you try and take a cat apart to see how it works, the first thing you have on your hands is a nonworking cat."

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."

“Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.”

“Don't believe anything you read on the net. Except this. Well, including this, I suppose.”

Fragenstein
2015-10-30, 09:19 AM
Oh, hey, if we're going D. Adams, then here's one which has stayed with me for decades... although, maybe more of an actual passage than a quote...

“It is worth repeating at this point the theories that Ford had come up with, on his first encounter with human beings, to account for their peculiar habit of continually stating and restating the very very obvious, as in "It's a nice day," or "You're very tall," or "So this is it, we're going to die."

His first theory was that if human beings didn't keep exercising their lips, their mouths probably shriveled up.

After a few months of observation he had come up with a second theory, which was this--"If human beings don't keep exercising their lips, their brains start working.”

― Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

TheEmerged
2015-10-30, 11:26 AM
"Always remember: most riddles contain their own answer."
-- the ORIGINAL "My Little Pony" cartoon, yes the one from the 80's.

"Can you destory the Earth?"
"EGADS! I hope not! That's where I keep all my stuff..."
-- the Tick cartoon

"Sometimes, the knights are the monsters."
-- George R. R. Martin, in one of the Game of Thrones/ Song of Fire & Ice novels, can't remember which

"You can tell the size of a person by the size of person they let bother them."
-- I'm sure it's from someone else first, but this was one of my late father's favorite statements.

"The stranger the problem, the simpler the solution usually is."
-- another one from my late father

"No good deed goes unpunished. Neither does any bad deed. Everybody forgets the second part."
-- last one from my late father, honest...

"There is only ONE way to deal with a bully."
-- YuGiOh anime, first season, and something I wish I would have heard & heeded a LOT earlier in life.

"...any other method just pushes THAT method off on someone else, some time else."
-- an addition I usually make to the above.

"Well done is better than well said."
-- Poor Richard's Almanac

Philistine
2015-10-30, 05:31 PM
I can do no better than to point to the origin of my sig...

Grandfather: "... When he was saying "As you wish", what he meant was, "I love you.""
- The Princess Bride

Darth Vader: "And I want them alive. No disintegrations!"
Boba Fett: "As you wish."
- The Empire Strikes Back

Pex
2015-10-30, 05:47 PM
"Language!" - Captain America

Kato
2015-10-30, 06:37 PM
Ah, so many good ones. And so many I could think of...
Okay, a bunch from my favorite author:

"The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it."

"Human beings make life so interesting. Do you know, that in a universe so full of wonders, they have managed to invent boredom."

"The truth may be out there, but the lies are inside your head."

"Time is a drug. Too much of it kills you."

And to finish...

"If you have enough book space, I don't want to talk to you."

Gopher Wizard
2015-10-30, 08:37 PM
"I'm attacking myself in Chinatown guy."
"I've dated girls uglier than you for breakfast."

Bhu
2015-10-30, 09:14 PM
"The young sucker runs away with the sap from the old tree. The foal drains its mother, and then kicks her. The old saying is 'I taught you to swim and now you would drown me,' and many a time it comes true."

"Expect to get half of what you earn, a quarter of what is your due, and none of what you have lent, and you will be near the mark."

8BitNinja
2015-11-04, 09:59 AM
"The enemy is trying to negotiate a peace treaty, that means they'll be easier to kill"
-Don Keystone, Worms Revolution

otakuryoga
2015-11-04, 10:53 PM
"The nine scariest words in the world are: "I'm from the government, and I'm here to help."" -unknown

Eggel
2015-11-05, 10:22 PM
"It's about as useful as nipples on breastplate." Cersei Lannister, A Song of Ice and Fire by George RR Martin

"Three may keep a secret if two are dead." Benjamin Franklin

"Seek happy nights for happy days!" Nurse, Romeo and Juliet, William Shakespeare :smallwink: :smallredface: :smallwink:

"Just DO IT!!" Shia Labeouf :furious:

"And boom goes the dynamite!" somewhere on YouTube

Starwulf
2015-11-05, 10:27 PM
"Est Sularus Oth Mithas: My honor is my life" Solamnic Knight oath from Dragonlance.

Rodin
2015-11-05, 10:40 PM
Favorite line of dialogue ever from Babylon 5 (preceding line included for context):

Lord Refa: Oh Londo, you are a fool. You walked away from the greatest power I have ever seen. Now you expect me to do the same? They are the key to my eventual rise to the throne! Why would I abandon them?
Londo Mollari: Because I have asked you. Because your loyalty to our people should be greater than your ambition. And because I have poisoned your drink.

8BitNinja
2015-11-06, 10:09 AM
This is for my fellow Paladins out there

Leeroy Jenkins: Alright Chumps, time's up, LEEEEEEEEEEEROOOOOOOOOOY JEEEEEEEEEEEENKIIIIIIIIIIIIINS!!!!!

GAAD
2015-11-06, 11:54 AM
Oh my god he just ran in.

HandofShadows
2015-11-06, 12:12 PM
"At least I have chicken."

Also from B5

Vir Cotto to Morden: 'I'd like to live just long enough to be there when they cut off your head and stick it on a pike as a warning to the next ten generations that some favors come with too high a price. I would look up at your lifeless eyes and wave like this. [gives a mockingly cheerful finger waggle]"

danzibr
2015-11-07, 09:41 PM
It's funny you can pick out a Brandon Sanderson quote because he severely overuses the word "said."

As for favorite quotes of mine...

"Life is good for only two things: discovering mathematics and teaching mathematics." - Simeon-Denis Poisson
"What we know is a drop, what we don't know is an ocean." - Sir Isaac Newton, the Father of Calculus
"It is not knowledge, but the act of learning which grants the greatest enjoyment." - Karl Guass, the Prince of Mathematics
"The roots of education are bitter, but the fruit is sweet." - Aristotle
"It is true that a mathematician who is not somewhat of a poet will never be a perfect mathematician." Karl Weierstrass, the Father of Modern Analysis.
"Learning cannot start until the confusion begins." - Ethan Capers (?)
"Mathematics is inherently difficult." - Nigel Kalton

I have a lot of biblical quotes I like, but ya know, forum rules and all.

Marillion
2015-11-08, 10:17 PM
"If you're normal, the crowd will accept you, but if you're deranged, the crowd will make you their leader." - Christopher Titus

comicshorse
2015-11-09, 05:26 PM
" This is were we stand or fall
We hold them here, or not at all "

Etrigan the Demon

Eldritch Horror
2015-11-09, 06:56 PM
"That is not dead which can eternal lie,
And with strange aeons even death may die." - The Necronomicon.

"Strange is the night where black stars rise,
And strange moons circle in the skies,
But stranger still is
Lost Carcosa.

Songs that the Hyades shall sing,
Where flap the tatters of the King,
Must die unheard in
Dim Carcosa.

Song of my soul, my voice is dead,
Die thou, unsung, as tears unshed,
Shall dry and die in
Lost Carcosa." - Cassilda's Song, Act I, Scene II of The King in Yellow.

Flickerdart
2015-11-09, 07:10 PM
Here are some cool quotes:

“…” - These are typographic quotes, much cooler than typewriter style "dumb quotes" (which are actually inch marks). Sometimes the leading quote is at the bottom: „...” They are styled differently in every typeface - sans-serifs tend to have them as kinked lines, while serifs usually have them look like commas. Behold: “…” “…” “…” “…”

«…» - These are guillemet quotes, widely used in Europe (both the pointing outwards and pointing inwards varieties). Like English quotes, a single version also exists: ‹ ... ›

「…」- These are Japanese quotes, which can be used both horizontally and vertically. They are visually similar to Korean ones: 『…』「…」

In literary Russian and Finnish, ―...― is acceptable when indicating a character's speech.

Eldritch Horror
2015-11-09, 07:12 PM
Here are some cool quotes:

“…” - These are typographic quotes, much cooler than typewriter style "dumb quotes" (which are actually inch marks). Sometimes the leading quote is at the bottom: „...” They are styled differently in every typeface - sans-serifs tend to have them as kinked lines, while serifs usually have them look like commas. Behold: “…” “…” “…” “…”

«…» - These are guillemet quotes, widely used in Europe (both the pointing outwards and pointing inwards varieties). Like English quotes, a single version also exists: ‹ ... ›

「…」- These are Japanese quotes, which can be used both horizontally and vertically. They are visually similar to Korean ones: 『…』「…」

In literary Russian and Finnish, ―...― is acceptable when indicating a character's speech.

Har har. I see what you did there.

Fralex
2015-11-12, 02:37 AM
"Of course this is all in your head! Why should that mean it's not real?"
-Dumbledore

"In this world.., you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant. Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant. You may quote me."
-Elwood/James Stewart (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzOIhLJ1C-Y)

"Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't."
-Bill Nye

"I don't do drugs. I AM drugs."
-Salvadore Dali

“When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.”
― C.S. Lewis

"The most successful hoax in history is the notion that anyone knows what they're doing, ever."
-Aaron Diaz

"Guns don't kill people, people kill guns"
"Guns don’t kill people, we are all immortal souls living temporarily in shelters of earth and meat"
"Guns don't kill people, it's impossible to be killed by a gun, we are all invincible to bullets and it's a miracle"
"A list of things that kill people:

Conceivably anything
Not guns!"

"If you say 'guns kill people' one more time, I will shoot you with a gun, and you will (coincidentally) die"
-Night Vale chapter of the NRA

In the Second Scroll of Wen the Eternally Surprised a story is written concerning one day when the apprentice Clodpool, in a rebellious mood, approached Wen and spake thusly:
"Master, what is the difference between a humanistic, monastic system of belief in which wisdom is sought by means of an apparently nonsensical system of questions and answers, and a lot of mystic gibberish made up on the spur of the moment?"
Wen considered this for some time, and at last said: "A fish!"
And Clodpool went away, satisfied.
-Thief of Time

"You are alone, child. There is only darkness for you, and only death for your people. These ancients are just the beginning. I will command a great and terrible army, and we will sail to a billion worlds. We will sail until every light has been extinguished. You are strong, child, but I am beyond strength. I am the end, and I have come for you, Finn."
-The Lich

"You’re trying to do things right, and that’s wrong. Mysticism means taking a step back – accepting that the very laws of reason and logic you abide by are merely one option of many. It means knowing you only see half the picture in a world where everyone else thinks they see the whole thing. It means having the sheer arrogance to have humility.

That’s why I’m saying you have to think like a witchhunter. You have to be a little wrong to be completely right – to abandon truth in favor of questioning falsehood. If you think something’s the easiest way, you have to know you’re wrong. You have to understand how to stand against the very stance of understanding! You have to know you are inferior; that your knowledge and perceptions will never stand up to the true scope of all possible reality. You have to be a little further from perfect, and embrace that notion.

Can you do that, Jo-Khajiit? Can you make mistakes, fearlessly pursue the worst ideas, and be inferior?"

"I'm the best f***ing f***up in Cyrodiil."
-Guardian ancestor and Katia Managan's reply respectively, Prequel Adventure

Dhavaer
2015-11-12, 07:58 AM
"Do you recall how we came to that place?
And they sang of their lightnings and shapeful disgrace?"
- Fallen London

Pex
2015-11-12, 01:29 PM
"You would make a ship sail against the wind and current by lighting a bonfire under its deck? I have no time for such nonsense." - Napoleon Bonaparte, in Leonard Nimoy's voice, "Civilization IV"

Hida Reju
2015-11-13, 08:04 AM
"Here I sit mad as a hatter. With nothing to do but sit and get madder and madder. Least I regain enough sanity to return to the world that drove me mad."
"The Swordswoman" by Jessica Amanda Salmonson

Lt Col Podovsky: [while torturing Rambo] You may scream. There is no shame.

“The four points of the compass be logic, knowledge, wisdom and the unknown. Some do bow in that final direction. Others advance upon it. To bow before the one is to lose sight of the three. I may submit to the unknown, but never to the unknowable. The man who bows in that final direction is either a saint or a fool. I have no use for either.”
― Roger Zelazny, Lord of Light

Hida Reju
2015-11-13, 08:28 AM
I found a few more

Life is full of doors that don't open when you knock, equally spaced amid those that open when you don't want them to.
ROGER ZELAZNY, Blood of Amber

“We make choices everyday, some of them good, some of them bad. And - if we are strong enough - we live with the consequences.”
― David Gemmell

“I have discovered in my long life that there are many words and phrases which have more power than any spell of magick. The most well-known of these is, of course, 'I love you'. But by far the most deadly is, 'if only'. For these two words can strip a man's strength, his courage and his confidence. They become the father of regret and anguish and pain.”
― David Gemmell, Morningstar

“And the first king was a lucky soldier.”
― S.M. Stirling, Dies the Fire

Pex
2015-11-13, 01:01 PM
" " - Marcel Marceau

HandofShadows
2015-11-13, 01:09 PM
" " - Marcel Marceau

How many people just read that in his voice?

Red Planet
2015-11-14, 04:19 PM
Inspired by Fralex, a favourite WtNV quote of my own:
'Multiple accidents to report. In fact, infinite accidents. Everything that happens is an accident... Or at least, let us hope so.
This has been traffic'

Pex
2015-11-14, 04:50 PM
How many people just read that in his voice?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwea0LZQe9k

BWR
2015-11-14, 05:15 PM
From L5R, about my favorite faction.

"On the Wall, a samurai must train until his body gives out. His body must know what to do when the mind is not there. He must fight in water, fight when knocked to the ground, fight with a broken arm, fight in the dark against ten dead men that an hour ago were called friend. The moment something seems amis, he must break bones as if walking through grass. If he cannot, he will soon be the food or the slave of the enemy. When you wake a Crab, use a stick."

Something bearing my father's face and weeping my mother's tears comes clawing up from the depths, screaming for me to join them. I feel its talons against my armor, snapping leather and metal as if they were origami. I reach for my tetsubo as I hear its hideous laugh, and I know that one blow is all it will allow before it tears the entrails from my bones.

And you sit in your palace and lecture me on courage.

The dismal stink of the Shadowlands surrounds my companions and me. A towering oni grabs a pair of bushi and shakes them like children's dolls, snapping their bones into powder. I hear their pleas for help and ignore them, knowing that I am condeming them to a fate worse than death. My daimyo is depending upon me to escape this horror, or else hundreds more will die as my companions have.

And you lie in your garden and tell me about duty.

The wall stretches a thousand leagues long, filled with samurai preparing for siege. A sea of goblins stands before me, howling unnameable curses into the air. As they begin to cross the river, I hear that the Crane have launched another foray against our brothers to the north. Yet I can do nothing but stay where I am and ensure that no goblin escapes to terrorize the same Cranes who steal our land.

And you stand in your silk robes and explain to me what honor is.

You are children playing games to fill your empty lives. You are infants squealing over your toys, pretending that nothing else holds meaning in this world. You are old women hunched around the fire, telling yourselves that the shadows beyond cannot hurt you.
I am the Crab. I have witnessed horrors that you could scarcely imagine and watched the death of enough samurai to fill a hundred battlefields. I have seen what lies beyond the soft confines of this make-believe kingdom, and I am charged with ensuring that your dream does not dissolve into nightmare. I am the sole and only protector of your pathetic existence.
So laugh at me if you will. Mock my uncouth behavior, start at my crude language. But do not speak to me of courage, little man. Do not speak to me of duty or honor. You haven't the slightest idea what they mean.

Lentrax
2015-11-14, 05:40 PM
"Can you destory the Earth?"
"EGADS! I hope not! That's where I keep all my stuff..."
-- the Tick cartoon

The Tick gives us best quotes ever...

"So he says to me, “You gotta do something smart, baby! Something big!” He says, “You want to be a super-villain, right?!” And I go, “Yeah, baby, yeah! Yeah! What do I gotta do?!” He says, “You got bombs! Blow up the Comet Club! It's packed with super-heroes! You'll go down in super-villain history!” And I go, “Yeah, baby! 'Cause I'm the Evil Midnight Bomber What Bombs at Midnight!” Ah ha ha ha ha ha!" -The Evil Midnight Bomber What Bombs at Midnight.

And of course....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P51zb968HjM

Traab
2015-11-14, 07:35 PM
The first rule of battle is, dont die. Death isnt when your heart stops beating and you stop breathing. Death is when you have allowed evil to overwhelm all the good you have done. Those who go to the grave with their heads held high and the world better for their existence need never fear death, for they are immortal.

Book of Xander, Chapter One, Verse One.

Blood is only thicker than water upon exposure to air. Translated, the bonds that you share with those you have shed blood for and with are greater than those to the people who merely share the same blood in your veins. They are your true family.

Book of Xander Chapter One, Verse Two.

He who smelt it has a high probability of being the one who dealt it. Translated, beware one who sees evil everywhere he looks, chances are, he is looking into a mirror.

Book of Xander Chapter Two, Verse One

If the only way to destroy evil is by becoming it, remember to include your own destruction in the plans. Sometimes destroying evil requires sacrifice, but unless its self sacrifice you arent destroying evil, merely shifting it around.

Book of Xander, Chapter Four, Verse Six

Trust not they who cannot tell the difference between shedding blood to protect others and shedding blood because they can. For they are blind, seeing no difference between a mother killing to protect her child, and a lunatic killing the same child for fun.

Book of Xander, Chapter Three, Verse Two

2015-11-14, 07:51 PM
"I pragmatically turn my whims into principles!" -Calvin (of Calvin & Hobbes) on whether he is principled, pragmatic, or whimsical in nature.

Solamnicknight
2015-11-15, 10:12 PM
My favorite "All right said Susan. I'm not stupid. You're saying humans need fantasy to make life bearable. REALLY? AS IF IT WERE SOME KIND OF PINK PILL? NO. HUMANS NEED FANTASY TO BE HUMAN. TO BE THE PLACE WHERE THE FALLING ANGEL MEETS THE RISING APE. Tooth fairies, hogfathers, little-YES AS PRACTICE. YOU HAVE TO START OUT LEARING TO BELIEVE THE LITTLE LIES. So we can believe the big ones? YES JUSTICE MERCY DUTY THAT SORT OF THING.They're not the same at all! YOU THINK SO? THEN TAKE THE UNIVERSE AND GRIND IT DOWN TO THE FINEST POWDER AND SIEVE IT THOUGH THE FINEST SIEVE AND THEN SHOW ME ONE ATOM OF JUSTICE ONE MOLECULE OF MERCY AND YET death waved a hand. YOU ACT AS IF THERE IS SOME IDEAL ORDER IN THE WORLD AS IF THERE IS SOME...SOME RIGHTNESS IN THE UNIVERSE BY WHICH IT MAY BE JUDGED Yes, but people have got to believe that or what's the point? MY POINT EXACTLY Terry Prachett, Hogfather

Fralex
2015-11-16, 01:53 AM
Oh man, I should probably just put [basically any memorable quote found in a Terry Pratchett book], but recalling each of them is too much fun:

“She heard him mutter, ‘Can you take away this grief?’
‘I’m sorry,’ she replied. ‘Everyone asks me. And I would not do so even if I knew how. It belongs to you. Only time and tears take away grief; that is what they are for.”

"Wen considered the nature of time and understood that the universe is, instant by instant, recreated anew. Therefore, he understood, there is in truth no past, only a memory of the past. Blink your eyes, and the world you see next did not exist when you closed them. Therefore, he said, the only appropriate state of the mind is surprise. The only appropriate state of the heart is joy. The sky you see now, you have never seen before. The perfect moment is now. Be glad of it."

And nearly every quote from Carpe Jugulem is my favorite quote:

In Ghat they believe in vampire watermelons, although folklore is silent about what they believe about vampire watermelons. Possibly they suck back.

"We prefer to leave the judging up to Om."
"Bein’ human means judgin’ all the time," said the voice behind him. "This and that, good and bad, making choices every day… that’s human."
"And are you sure you make the right decisions?"
"No. But I do the best I can."
"And hope for mercy, eh?"
A bony finger prodded him in the back.
"Mercy’s a fine thing, but judgin’ comes first. Otherwise you don’t know what you’re bein’ merciful about."

"There’s no greys, only white that’s got grubby. I’m surprised you don’t know that. And sin, young man, is when you treat people as things. Including yourself. That’s what sin is."
"It’s a lot more complicated than that -"
"No. It ain’t. When people say things are a lot more complicated than that, they means they’re getting worried that they won’t like the truth. People as things, that’s where it starts."
"Oh, I'm sure there are worse crimes-"
"But they starts with thinking about people as things."

The smug mask of virtue triumphant could be almost as horrible as the face of wickedness revealed.

'. . . and Brutha said to Simony, "Where there is darkness we will make a great light. . ."'
The match died. And there was darkness.
Oats took his Book of Om, and made a great light.

“Shame about your little book of holy words,” she said, when she was farther down the track.
There was a long pause before Oats replied.
“I can easily get another,” he said levelly.
“Must be hard, not having your book of words.”
“It’s only paper.”
“Terrible thing, having to burn all them words, though.”
“The worthwhile ones don’t burn.”
“You’re not too stupid, for all that you wear a funny hat,” said Granny.

"And you think you can stand in my way? An axe isn't even a holy symbol!"
"Oh." Oats looked crestfallen. Agnes saw his shoulders sag as he lowered the blade.
Then he looked up, smiled brightly and said, "Let's make it so."

“The world is . . . different." Oats's gaze went out across the haze, and the forests, and the purple mountains. "Everywhere I look I see something holy.”
For the first time since he'd met her, he saw Granny Weatherwax smile properly. Normally her mouth went up at the corners just before something unpleasant was going to happen to someone who deserved it, but this time she appeared to be pleased with what she heard.
"That's a start, then," she said.

Kuroshima
2015-11-16, 02:42 AM
British Officer: "You French fight for money while we fight for honour"

Robert Surcouf: "Each of us fights for what he lacks most".

comicshorse
2015-11-16, 12:54 PM
NSFW language (and yeah I'm linking to the clip because McAvoy's delivery is part of what makes this great)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzPwiI-Cjc0

8BitNinja
2015-11-18, 02:29 PM
It's been awhile, so I had this gem

And Saint Attila raised the hand grenade up on high, saying, "O Lord, bless this Thy hand grenade that with it Thou mayest blow Thine enemies to tiny bits, in Thy mercy." And the Lord did grin and the people did feast upon the lambs and sloths and carp and anchovies and orangutans and breakfast cereals, and fruit bats and large chu... [At this point, the friar is urged by Brother Maynard to "skip a bit, brother"]... And the Lord spake, saying, "First shalt thou take out the Holy Pin, then shalt thou count to three, no more, no less. Three shall be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, neither count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three. Five is right out. Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch towards thy foe, who being naughty in my sight, shall snuff it." Amen.

Pex
2015-11-18, 11:43 PM
"Kaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahn!" - Admiral James T. Kirk

Lentrax
2015-11-19, 11:48 AM
"I'm your huckleberry." ~ Doc Holiday.

cildan
2015-11-19, 12:13 PM
"The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction has to make sense."

Tom Clancy

8BitNinja
2015-11-19, 01:20 PM
"True peace is not merely the absence of tension. It is the presence of justice."
— Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

cildan
2015-11-19, 03:48 PM
"Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by *******s." William Gibson

Sir Toast
2015-11-19, 08:24 PM
"Its a magical world" - Bill Watterson

8BitNinja
2015-11-20, 09:30 AM
Bridgekeeper: What... is the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow?
King Arthur: What do you mean? An African or European swallow?
Bridgekeeper: Huh? I... I don't know that.
- Monty Python and the Holy Grail

MouthofSauron
2015-11-24, 06:24 AM
From the book "The Man Who Was Thursday"; you've got this character, Gabriel Syme, who must stop an assassination to be carried out by a French aristocrat:

"I shall approach. Before taking off his hat, I shall take off my own. I shall say, 'The Marquis de Saint Eustache, I believe.' He will say, 'The celebrated Mr. Syme, I presume.' He will say in the most exquisite French, 'How are you?' I shall reply in the most exquisite Cockney, 'Oh, just the Syme—'"

8BitNinja
2015-11-24, 10:01 AM
"YOU CAN JUMP AND SHOOT AT THE SAME TIME!".

- Egoraptor, Megaman Sequelitis

Pex
2015-11-24, 12:23 PM
"Its a magical world" - Bill Watterson

"It's a magical place" - Phil Coulson

Lentrax
2015-11-24, 01:00 PM
"The world is a mess and I just need to rule it." -Dr. Horrible.

8BitNinja
2015-11-24, 01:42 PM
"I like trains"
- ASDF Movie

otakuryoga
2015-11-26, 01:35 AM
From L5R, about my favorite faction.

"On the Wall, a samurai must train until his body gives out. His body must know what to do when the mind is not there. He must fight in water, fight when knocked to the ground, fight with a broken arm, fight in the dark against ten dead men that an hour ago were called friend. The moment something seems amis, he must break bones as if walking through grass. If he cannot, he will soon be the food or the slave of the enemy. When you wake a Crab, use a stick."

not bad...too bad you only used the 2nd best clan

"Life is not fair. That doesn't mean you cannot win"

"Fools forget. Make certain you do not".

"Better to have a graveyard of dead enemies than a single living one."

"How many seconds in a man’s life? Always one too few to change his fate."

Scorpion Forever

8BitNinja
2015-11-30, 02:24 PM
"Never in my years as a wildlife documenter have I seen such natural brutality, sure the penguins with the machetes were hilarious but YOU..."
- Don Keystone, Worms Revolution