PDA

View Full Version : Monk building help.

Doomboy911
2015-10-26, 02:28 PM
So I'm getting into a Pathfinder game and have run up against a bit of a wall. I have my ideal character as in what story wise I wanted but I'm not sure how to build it mechanically.

I wanted to base his fighting style off of the two styles of fighting, Hard and Soft. With hard I wanted something like Iron body techniques but I don't think there's anything specific and with Soft I was after Akido or Tai chi focusing on redirecting the opponents attacks. As far as I can tell though there's nothing specific.

Geddy2112
2015-10-26, 03:28 PM
Mix the monk of the sacred mountain (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/monk/archetypes/paizo---monk-archetypes/monk-of-the-sacred-mountain) and flowing monk (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/monk/archetypes/paizo---monk-archetypes/flowing-monk)archetypes. You will be incredibly hard to hit(AC bonuses), and shrug most damage if you are hit(dodging, toughness, DR). You will be near impossible to shift, but easily shift others.

If you want to take a style feat, I recommend the crane, dragon, janni, snake, or snapping turtle styles.

Psyren
2015-10-26, 04:25 PM
Seconding Style Feats for this. "Hard Style" can be represented by the direct, high-damage styles like Dragon Style, Pummeling Style and Tiger Style. "Soft Style" can be represented by the defensive/retaliatory styles, like Crane Style, Panther Style, Snapping Turtle Style and Snake Style.

You can then use the styles of your choice on either a Master of Many Styles (though mind the errata) or an Unchained Monk with Combat Style Master.

Doomboy911
2015-10-27, 04:25 PM
15 13 16 12 16 14 I'll be playing a warforged for this monk but I'm not sure what stats I should be focusing on. I'm currently level 2 do you guys think I should go half iron mountain half flowing monk? or focus one and then focus the other?

Geddy2112
2015-10-28, 08:53 AM
15 13 16 12 16 14 I'll be playing a warforged for this monk but I'm not sure what stats I should be focusing on. I'm currently level 2 do you guys think I should go half iron mountain half flowing monk? or focus one and then focus the other?

Those are not prestige classes or monk sub-classes you level separately. They are archetypes that replace certain monk class features, and since they don't overlap in replacing features, you can be both a monk of the iron mountain and a flowing monk, gaining the benefits of both whenever they would apply. So at level 2 you would replace evasion with the toughness feat, stunning fist with redirection, 2nd level bonus feat with unbalancing counter, and have a level 1 bonus feat from the flowing monk list.

I would go with S 16, D15, C14, I13, W16, C12
Strength is how you hit and deal damage, while wisdom dexterity and constitution keep you alive. Intelligence is only important if you want extra skill points, and charisma is useless to a monk.