PDA

View Full Version : Some Curiousity

John the Naive
2007-05-25, 03:10 PM
Hey guys,
Old fan of the RPG, been a long time since I've had any time to get into it though. Was curious if you guys might have a suggestion for a fun game to play that isn't too time intensive? I've got comics to draw and a real job to handle, it's mtn biking season, and my liver needs its weekend excerisize so basically there isn't too much time in my life these days, yet a lil gaming is always fun.

squishycube
2007-05-25, 03:19 PM
I suppose one RPG isn't more or less time intensive than another in and of itself. I think any game can be played as intensive as you like.

If you are looking for a light-hearted game I can certainly recommend the d20 adaption of Paranoia.

Fourth Tempter
2007-05-25, 03:23 PM
I can not recommend Spirit of the Century (http://www.evilhat.com/?spirit) enough. There is even an SRD (http://www.crackmonkey.org/~nick/loyhargil/fate3/fate3.html) so you can play it for free, but the book is truly great in terms of helpful advice and information.

The system is not complicated, character creation is more fun than actual play in many other games, and you can play occasional, exciting games rather than long campaigns. It is gleefully indulgent of all of the fun things about pulp adventure, from the classic archetypes to SCIENCE!. The mechanics of characters fit on two sides of a note card, while giving you a far better feel for who and what a character is, and their personality, than any Dungeons & Dragons character sheet.

It is a wonderful game.

Person_Man
2007-05-26, 11:58 AM
Most of the casual gamers I know play Heroclix or card games. Roleplaying really isn't a casual thing, unless you do it with computer games. It's just too difficult to keep character and story development going if you don't meet on a semi-regular basis.

Matthew
2007-06-05, 09:19 PM
I hear that Kobolds Ate My Baby is a rules light hybrid RPG type game. I guess I would recommend some of the self contained type games, such as Zombies or the more RPG type When Darkness Comes. Munchkin is a great fun game and I hear it was extended into an RPG. Depends what exactly you are looking for. Going old school, OSRIC is fairly rules light, comparatively speaking.

Dizlag
2007-06-06, 02:21 PM
Kobolds is FUN! But, Og (http://www.wingnutgames.com/landofog.htm) is classic roleplaying at it's best. You only have a handful of words to use while playing around the table and communicate with one another. Pointing saying, "Smash big pointing thing" and having the rest of the players look at you in complete confusion is priceless. :smallbiggrin:

Dizlag

NullAshton
2007-06-06, 03:01 PM
Risus.

It's a free RPG game, it's the most rules-light game you'll ever play. Basically you have a character, and you have a set number of points to put into cliches. You use cliches in combat(which doesn't have to be with swords, it could be diplomatic talks for example), with the more points in a cliche the better. If you lose a round, you lose a point of the cliche for the duration of the combat/contest, basically making cliches double as your health.

About as simple as you can get, without going into freeform.