PDA

View Full Version : Divine Dread Necromancer

gadren
2015-10-26, 08:48 PM
Are they any official ways to make the Dread Necromancer into a divine class instead of an arcane one?

Troacctid
2015-10-26, 08:51 PM
The Geomancer prestige class allows you to cast all your arcane spells as divine spells.

gadren
2015-10-26, 09:07 PM
The Geomancer prestige class allows you to cast all your arcane spells as divine spells. Anyway that doesn't require giving up a boatload of caster levels?

Troacctid
2015-10-26, 09:15 PM
No, sorry.

gadren
2015-10-26, 09:17 PM
Could've sworn there was an FR feat or something that swapped arcane for divine.

Troacctid
2015-10-26, 09:19 PM
You may be thinking of Southern Magician, which functions only a small handful of times per day.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2015-10-26, 09:24 PM
The feat Southern Magician in Races of Faerun allows you to cast an arcane spell as a divine spell, or a divine spell as an arcane spell, up to once per day per two spellcaster levels. It only requires that you be able to cast 2nd level spells and be a Human of a specific region.

The Rainbow Servant prestige class in Complete Divine (rather, an adaptation of it per the description) gives you access to the entire Cleric spell list as early as your 11th character level, and any such spells that don't appear on the Sorcerer/Wizard or Bard spell lists are cast as divine spells. This doesn't cost you any levels of spellcasting according to the core rulebooks errata on primary source, i.e. the text description that says all ten levels advance your spellcasting overrides the table that shows you lose caster levels at certain class levels.

gadren
2015-10-26, 09:56 PM
If I allowed a player to just play a divine Dread Necromancer, would that be a bad idea?

Troacctid
2015-10-26, 10:19 PM
Divine casting is generally slightly better than arcane casting because it ignores arcane spell failure. Having the option to choose between them is also inherently (albeit subtly) better than being locked into one or the other. However, if you use Divine Bard as a model, adding Wisdom as an additional casting stat should be a sufficient balancing factor.

OldTrees1
2015-10-27, 12:37 AM
If I allowed a player to just play a divine Dread Necromancer, would that be a bad idea?

It would be a slight buff but would not unbalance most games.
Thematically it is fitting enough.

Deophaun
2015-10-27, 01:49 AM
The only potential imbalance in making the Dread Necro divine is access to Divine Metamagic, which you can already do through Southern Magician anyway. Otherwise, armored casting is overrated.

Is there a particular reason why your player wants his Dread Necro to be Divine?

Edenbeast
2015-10-27, 01:57 AM
Divine casting is generally slightly better than arcane casting because it ignores arcane spell failure. Having the option to choose between them is also inherently (albeit subtly) better than being locked into one or the other. However, if you use Divine Bard as a model, adding Wisdom as an additional casting stat should be a sufficient balancing factor.

I second this option. It's from unearthed Arcana (that makes it official), but also available on the srd:
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#bardVariantDivineBard

gadren
2015-10-27, 07:28 AM
The only potential imbalance in making the Dread Necro divine is access to Divine Metamagic, which you can already do through Southern Magician anyway. Otherwise, armored casting is overrated.

Is there a particular reason why your player wants his Dread Necro to be Divine?

He'd like to take the Eldritch Disciple prestige class.

OldTrees1
2015-10-27, 10:38 AM
He'd like to take the Eldritch Disciple prestige class.

Prediction:
He either wants it for the Healing Blast (so as to master both schools of Necromancy) or he wants it for Eldritch Spellweave(apply an essence to a spell although I can't think of a decent combo).

If my prediction is right, then there is still no problem.