PDA

View Full Version : Paladin of the Wild Hunt Oath

Santra
2015-10-26, 10:55 PM
I am playing a character that is a paladin of the wild hunt in an upcoming game and I was wanting some help. I am looking to use the Oath of the Ancients archetype since the abilities and spells fit better than the others but the oaths themselves don't really fit so I am trying to come up with new oaths.

Oath of Hunter
Hunt with Ferocity
Let none interfere with the wild hunt or let them join the ranks of the hunted.
Hunt with Tenacity
The hunt doesn't end until the prey is taken. Never veer from the course that leads you to your prey.
Honor the Hunters
Treat those who join the hunt with honor and respect. They are your pack and shall guide your fangs.
Honor the prey
Treat your prey not with cruelty or malice for it is in their honor that the hunt was called
Celebrate the Kill
Glory in your successes and feast in the honor of the hunt.

How does this sound for alternate oaths. I was trying to keep them vaguely lawful neutral to fit my character.

E’Tallitnics
2015-10-26, 11:26 PM
I am playing a character that is a paladin of the wild hunt in an upcoming game and I was wanting some help. I am looking to use the Oath of the Ancients archetype since the abilities and spells fit better than the others but the oaths themselves don't really fit so I am trying to come up with new oaths.

Oath of Hunter
Hunt with Ferocity
Let none interfere with the wild hunt or let them join the ranks of the hunted.
Hunt with Tenacity
The hunt doesn't end until the prey is taken. Never veer from the course that leads you to your prey.
Honor the Hunters
Treat those who join the hunt with honor and respect. They are your pack and shall guide your fangs.
Honor the prey
Treat your prey not with cruelty or malice for it is in their honor that the hunt was called
Celebrate the Kill
Glory in your successes and feast in the honor of the hunt.

How does this sound for alternate oaths. I was trying to keep them vaguely lawful neutral to fit my character.

This, "…or let them join the ranks of the hunted." contradicts "Honor the Hunters".

Santra
2015-10-26, 11:38 PM
This, "…or let them join the ranks of the hunted." contradicts "Honor the Hunters".
I dont see what you mean.

If they interfere they become the hunted.
If they work with the hunt you treat them with honor and respect.

E’Tallitnics
2015-10-26, 11:40 PM
I dont see what you mean.

If they interfere they become the hunted.
If they work with the hunt you treat them with honor and respect.

What if they join, yet interfere?

Santra
2015-10-26, 11:49 PM
What if they join, yet interfere?

You warn them politely that if they interfere you will consider them your enemy. If they continue to interfere they no longer are part of the hunt and join the hunted.

Tanarii
2015-10-26, 11:56 PM
The Wild Hunt, if you're talking about the Fey version, is supposed to be a dark and deadly thing. IMO not suitable for a Paladin Oath at all. It'd be far more thematic as a Warlock Pact.

Honor the Prey in particular doesn't feel right. The prey is there to die, not be honored. Cruel and malicious death was part of it, but even if you drop that aspect, I'd still avoid Honor the Prey.

How about:
Celebrate Life
Death can come in a moment. Experience the joy of living as your blood pounds in your veins during the hunt, as you fght in battle, or dance wildly to music.

Santra
2015-10-27, 12:07 AM
The Wild Hunt, if you're talking about the Fey version, is supposed to be a dark and deadly thing. IMO not suitable for a Paladin Oath at all. It'd be far more thematic as a Warlock Pact.

Honor the Prey in particular doesn't feel right. The prey is there to die, not be honored. Cruel and malicious death was part of it, but even if you drop that aspect, I'd still avoid Honor the Prey.

How about:
Celebrate Life
Death can come in a moment. Experience the joy of living as your blood pounds in your veins during the hunt, as you fight in battle, or dance wildly to music.

Well the character is going to be a warlock paladin multi-class I am just trying to get the paladin side worked out. I do like this over Honor the Prey however and will probably use it

Tanarii
2015-10-27, 12:51 AM
Oh well that's a totally different flavor then. :)

Oath of the Ancients / Archfey Pact Multiclass is something I've played around with for exactly that reason. It doesn't quite have that nasty feel though. I can't decide if I like Vengeance more for it or not on the flavor side.

But being free to homebrew your own Oath certainly opens up options for a (possibly slightly cruel and malicious) Fey-touched warrior.

Malifice
2015-10-27, 01:15 AM
It doesn't impose any actual restrictions though does it?

Like it boils down to look after the rest of the party and don't let anyone escape (or run after them if they do).

Hudsonian
2015-10-28, 01:39 PM
I like the first three, but I'd edit the last two if you are the going crazy fey hunt direction:
(Note: it bothered me that they didn't all start with the same letter, or create an acronym.)

Honor the Hunt: Glory in your successes and feast in the honor of the hunt.

Hone your skill: Work hard to be the best hunter. Only the best can hope to take the quarry of The Hunt.