PDA

View Full Version : Opinions/Advice on my SW character

The J Pizzel
2007-05-25, 04:21 PM
Hey guys, we're designing character concepts for Star Wars: Saga Edition when it comes out. Looks like were gonna have 3 players. A Jedi, Soldier (me), and a Scoundrel. I'm designing him based on a cross between Canderous Ordo from KOTOR and Jayne from Firefly. Grumpy soldier meets lots and lots of weapons.

We're starting right after Order 66. I helped the Jedi I was stationed with escape and now we're on the run. That's the starting point that the DM gave us.

Here's my character background:

-----My name? You can’t have it. It’s mine. For now you can call me Canderous. Yes, it’s after Canderous Ordo. Like him I find myself at odds with where the Galaxy is headed. Like him, I have chosen to take my own road.

I was a “gun for hire” in the clone wars helping the Jedi. I like the Jedi. They’re honest folk who earn what they have. They like to tell you that they’re peacekeepers. I disagree. They’re warriors. When was the last time you heard of a Jedi who was recognized for “negotiating a treaty” between two hostile planets? Exactly. Now, can you tell me who Anakin Skywalker is? I thought so. I like the hum of their lightsabers. I like that eerie glow their blades make. I especially like the way my blaster smoke looks caught in that glow. Heh, I like Jedi.

I don’t know how to use this “force”, but the Jedi I was stationed with did. He’s gotten me out of a few thick spots with it too. One minute my blaster is shot out my hand, and the next it’s on its way back to me. I don’t know how it works, and in all actuality, I don’t need to. That damn Jedi saved my life more times than I can count, how could I not do the same.

So the wars almost over! Over my com link I hear that Jedi Master Obi-Wan Kenobi has “neutralized” General Grievous. Thank God. I can’t stand fighting next to these soulless clones. They’re emotionless. They have no honor, no integrity. They’re fighting because they were told to, not cause they want to. Why would I want to fight next to someone when the only reason he fights, is apathy? Ignorance, it’s a double-edged sword. Don’t get me wrong, they follow orders without question; which is what a good soldier does. But there’s no purpose in their obedience. There’s no desire. There’s just a void, a deep emptiness without expression, without thought. No, I don’t like the clones, especially one that shoots at a Jedi.

I’m on Sincrest, taking cover behind a blast barrier, blowing the hell out of a lot of droids. I love killing droids. No matter what you do to them, you don’t feel bad. Up ahead I can barely see the glow from Slevins’ lightsaber through the haze of the explosions and blasters. It’s quite beautiful. We’re winning this battle, just like all the others. It isn’t difficult to defeat droids, especially with ion grenades, hehe (glad I bought that case before I shipped out). That’s one of the perks of being a merc and not an actual soldier. I don’t use standard issue crap; I use whatever the hell I want. Anyway, between the Jedi, my ion grenades, and the advanced clone troopers, we aren’t having any problems. I’m guarding Winger, the leader of this clone squad, whom got his nickname from his overuse of the phrase “we’ll wing it”. He grew accustomed to using that after being ordered suicide missions. I see him turn away from battle and look down, obviously listening to an incoming command from HQ. I hate those helmets they wear; you can’t read their eyes. I’m expecting an order to mop up and get out of here when says the three words that still echo in my mind.

“Target the Jedi”. What the hell!?! A thousand thoughts race through my mind. I’ve got about three seconds to act. I only need one. Wingers down before he even hears the sound of my blaster go off. The remaining troopers close enough to have heard Winger’s command now have a frag grenade rolling between them. Heh, looks like I “winged it”.-----

Any opinions or ideas. Should I go sharshooter, all around weapons expert, explosives tech, etc. Do I sound too grumpy. I'm trying to go with CG. Does this sound too CN. Any ideas are welcome.

jp

rawling
2007-05-25, 04:42 PM
I've got absolutely no qualification to offer you help, but I like your backstory :smallsmile:

Shas aia Toriia
2007-05-25, 04:42 PM
It actually sounds more like CE, and he sounds like he is addicted to destruction. Make him explosive expert, it seems to fit well with your intro.

The J Pizzel
2007-05-25, 04:50 PM
Nah, I'm definitly not Evil. But if I'm giving off that vibe I guess I need to rewrite something. I just don't like Clones and Droids. I take war very seriously. I don't want to be evil.

Jayabalard
2007-05-25, 05:11 PM
it's tough to write a "gritty" character without giving off a bit of an evil vibe.
I'd have put him more at CN; if you wanted him CG you'd want to make him a little more selfless (or even just add more that shows that aspect of his personality).

Lemur
2007-05-25, 06:58 PM
Ahem. I'm going to say it once without caps or font increases. There is no alignment system in the Star Wars universe.

Be as gritty as you like. There are dark side points, but you only get those at the discretion of the DM. Also, as long as you don't have the Force Sensitive feat, dark side points do not adversely effect you whatsoever. (This is assuming that the new Star Wars edition works similarly to the current one. Even if it's different, I doubt that it will penalize non-force using characters for being gritty or dark)

The concept sounds okay. As far as character design, if the new edition is anything like the current one, ranged combat is a strong option for soldier types. It's pretty easy to get a good blaster weapon and cover the area with fire. Not so much sharpshooting as getting as many blaster attacks as you can is generally the better option. You can keep a vibroweapon as a sidearm, but you shouldn't need to use it much. Grenades are good for everyone, but they'll eat up your credits if you use them too frequently.

Keep your piloting skill up, and maybe grab a starship operation type feat. Depending on how different the new system will be, some of this advice might be obsolete, but I doubt it. Nerfing ranged combat in favor of melee (for everyone other than Jedi, at least) would make a rather un-Star Warsish atmosphere.

The J Pizzel
2007-05-25, 11:30 PM
Wow, you know what? You are absofrigginlutely right. I completely forgot that there's no alignment in Star Wars. We did play about 5-6 sessions in the old game. Haha, thats hella funny. Anyway any more advice?

jp