PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next New Background - Dead

JamesIntrocaso
2015-10-27, 07:49 AM
I've been writing up some Halloween-themed backgrounds on my blog for October and today I published the dead background. I figure PCs can come back to life using magic while they're adventuring, why not before their careers sometimes? This background applies to anyone who has been dead for a time.

Take a look and let me know what you love/hate. Thanks!

http://worldbuilderblog.me/2015/10/27/new-background-dead/

rlc
2015-10-27, 09:06 AM
small fix, but it's really bugging me:
in the flaws section, "I lie, cheat, and steal than..." should be "I would rather lie, cheat, and steal than..."

JamesIntrocaso
2015-10-27, 09:07 AM
small fix, but it's really bugging me:
in the flaws section, "I lie, cheat, and steal than..." should be "I would rather lie, cheat, and steal than..."

Oh nice catch! Thanks.

Final Hyena
2016-07-17, 10:28 AM
It's a really interesting background, though I do have a question. This seems kind of obvious, but what's the feature?
The smell.

Or for a serious suggestion, you have a mental connection with a soul met in the after life, once per day you can communicate with them.

R.Shackleford
2016-07-17, 12:05 PM
The smell.

Or for a serious suggestion, you have a mental connection with a soul met in the after life, once per day you can communicate with them.

Kinda potentially strong, the talking with dead people that is.

PC: I ask my dead father to ask Thor or a lesser outsider a question. I'll talk with them tomorrow.

I would say churches of undead will give you shelter or something minor like that. Something that doesn't emulate a spell.

It isn't that a DM would allow it, but players may expect it and when players expect something to work...

Final Hyena
2016-07-17, 12:23 PM
Random guy getting an audience with supreme beings seems a little unlikely.

Another idea is that it's a demon who is just as likely to lie/not care.

R.Shackleford
2016-07-17, 12:47 PM

Another idea is that it's a demon who is just as likely to lie/not care.

Thats DM versus PC talk.

If the player is a worshiper of *good god* and so we're their family... Why would it be a demon? Also, if you want to ignore all the other creatures outside of the specific deity then yeah sure... They might travel and go ask a demon... Yeah no.

It isn't about the DM allowing this, it is about it is quite logical to be able to have said dead person go and get info/ask questions.

The example (of Thor or a lesser outsider) was there to be an example, I love how people get hung up on examples and not the point of said example.

Final Hyena
2016-07-17, 01:12 PM
Thats DM versus PC talk.
I think it's an issue of players who think the world revolves around them, in a game where this isn't true they quickly get the gist that NPCs have their own interests, goals and... unlife.

If the player is a worshiper of *good god* and so we're their family... Why would it be a demon? Also, if you want to ignore all the other creatures outside of the specific deity then yeah sure... They might travel and go ask a demon... Yeah no.
For balance. Maybe a demon managed to take your soul by force. Maybe it found it's way to attach to you when you were brought back.

It isn't about the DM allowing this, it is about it is quite logical to be able to have said dead person go and get info/ask questions.
You can talk to them, you do not control them, having them go do any serious work for you is somewhat unlikely. Then there is also the issue of time, even if you can get someone who you have zero power over to go find something out for you, you have to wait for it, assuming he can even find out.

The example (of Thor or a lesser outsider) was there to be an example, I love how people get hung up on examples and not the point of said example.
You said you can use the feature to go ask question to important people, such as thor.

PC: I ask my dead father to ask Thor or a lesser outsider a question. I'll talk with them tomorrow.
To which I said.

I wasn't specifically talking about Thor, but about important people. Those kind of important hard to get to people are the ones you would generally want information from.