PDA

View Full Version : Evil soul-sucking character

Oronard
2015-10-27, 09:03 AM
Hello,

Recently I had an idea for a character. Basically it would be some kind of high ranking cult guys with fanatics followers. His perks would be that he uses them sometimes as "fuel" for his magic in times of need.

So my idea was to take Prestige and Fanatic devotion (not sure of the second name), who allow me to kill follower with suffering penalties to my prestige bonus. However I didn't find a useful way to kill my followers form time to time.

Do you know where I could find spells who do so? Or a class that might have the ability to do so?

Have a great day! :)

Geddy2112
2015-10-27, 09:44 AM
Death knell comes to mind-it only working on dying things, but you get extra strength, hp, and +1 caster level.

Also, is your character by any chance based off this movie (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bubba_Ho-Tep)?

Flickerdart
2015-10-27, 10:31 AM
Check out Body Leech - it's a psionic PrC that lets you cocoon victims and slowly drain them for power points until they die. You can also designate a captive as your backup body, and if you die from damage, you wake up inside them. You could market the cocoons as "the best among you can take this test of faith, the true faithful will awaken with great powers." Those powers, of course, would be your own psionic powers, but they don't need to know that, hehehehe.

Deadasadoor
2015-10-27, 10:43 AM
Soul Eater is a class from BoVD that allows you to touch people and give them level drain, while empowering yourself. Somewhere along the line you get the ability to Shapechange into something that you drain to death. May not be what you're looking for though.

There's a class in Fiend Folio called Fiend of Blasphemy (I think) that revolves around being a demon with a cult that you can sacrifice. They can even worship you as a divine source for spells if they're divine casters. Cool idea, but alright in execution. I'm AFB right now so I'm not 100% sure on the details. But I know that one of the abilities is "Kill cultist", and it lets you remotely kill a follower.

mabriss lethe
2015-10-27, 03:56 PM
Blessing of the Godless will let you have your cultists contribute to a pool of healing, technically, even mindless undead can participate. Make sure you take all the healing for yourself

Taveena
2015-10-27, 04:41 PM
The Necrocarnate, while not an astounding class, does indeed have the ability to eat people's souls for power. It's more-or-less a straight downgrade from Incarnate (unless Harvest Soul stacks and you have a LOT of corpses nearby), but it does have the Harvest Soul ability. Essentia Trap is also a soul-eater fluff, and it's based entirely around using the tormented souls of past victims as weird magic items.

So, y'know, it's not a bad class. Still probably a t3.

Ninjaxenomorph
2015-10-27, 06:57 PM
Well you could probably make a lawyer with an expert with Profession (Barrister).

... OH you mean soul-sucking in the necromantic sense. Carry on.

Necroticplague
2015-10-27, 07:11 PM
Thrallherd+Body Leech. Don't lose out followers, regardless of how poorly you treat them, and a fresh batch arrive every morning. Just have them fail the save to give your power points, and you're good.

Starbuck_II
2015-10-27, 09:56 PM
To think outside the box, be a Hobgoblin Warsoul with 9 permanent negative levels. That lowers you back to 1 RHD. LA +4. Now you can build it as you wish.

Their racial ability we want is Soul Tyrant: Swift action, draw arcane power from a willing target within 30 ft with 10 or les HP. It slays them. But heals you 1 hp/HD of creature, next spell gets +2 DC, +2 hit on next spell, and +1/HD of creature damage bonus on next spell.
You also casts as a 9th level wizard: as a bonus.
Cult Power: He also comes with 2d4 1st level warriors

Except for being a hobgoblin it fits what you want.

Troacctid
2015-10-27, 10:40 PM
The Necrocarnate, while not an astounding class, does indeed have the ability to eat people's souls for power. It's more-or-less a straight downgrade from Incarnate (unless Harvest Soul stacks and you have a LOT of corpses nearby), but it does have the Harvest Soul ability. Essentia Trap is also a soul-eater fluff, and it's based entirely around using the tormented souls of past victims as weird magic items.

So, y'know, it's not a bad class. Still probably a t3.

Harvest Soul does stack. No reason why it wouldn't.

There are a couple tricks you can do with Necrocarnate. While its meldshaping progression is a level behind an Incarnate if you use the standard Incarnate 7 entry, it is actually several levels ahead if your entry looks more like, say, Incarnate 4/Crusader 1/Totemist 2, in which case you actually get your lesser and greater chakras opened ahead of schedule. You can also use the Primary Contact feat to enter a level early. Also, remember to keep track of what time of day you harvest your souls, because it lasts for 24 hours, so it will carry over to the same time tomorrow.

ILM
2015-10-28, 03:45 AM
Doesn't really quite fit what you need but since it's thematically close, I thought I'd mention Magic (or Races? I forget) of Eberron's Thief of Life. Lets you get extra temporary hp from targets, then immunitites, and then basically become immortal.

Taveena
2015-10-28, 04:37 AM
Harvest Soul does stack. No reason why it wouldn't.

If the essentia is treated as a bonus, then the same source rule would stop it stacking, just as a Vampire can't stack temporary HP by slamming someone. If the rule is assumed to ONLY apply to bonuses on rolls, then you can stack it up (though you still have to blow 1 minute on every dead ant you boil. Not a HUGE problem, but it's a slight limitation that makes arbitrarily large essentia impossible.)

Oronard
2015-10-28, 07:58 AM
Thrallherd+Body Leech. Don't lose out followers, regardless of how poorly you treat them, and a fresh batch arrive every morning. Just have them fail the save to give your power points, and you're good.
Thank you guys, this is the idea that fit my concept the most. Also this way I can have a good part of my followers dressed with rags and pushing a huge carriage with my cocoon. My thrall can even be a bard who'll sit on the top of the carriage and sing songs about my greatness and/or the coming of the apocalypse. :D

I have an other question regarding the rate of renewal of my followers. You said every morning but I know I stumbled upon a feat that said it allowed me to renew my followers every 1d4 weeks instead of every 1d4 months. While reading prestige on the DRS (currently AFB), I didn't find any mention of the time needed to renew them. Is it mentioned somewhere or is it up to the DM?

Necroticplague
2015-10-28, 08:10 AM
Thank you guys, this is the idea that fit my concept the most. Also this way I can have a good part of my followers dressed with rags and pushing a huge carriage with my cocoon. My thrall can even be a bard who'll sit on the top of the carriage and sing songs about my greatness and/or the coming of the apocalypse. :D

I have an other question regarding the rate of renewal of my followers. You said every morning but I know I stumbled upon a feat that said it allowed me to renew my followers every 1d4 weeks instead of every 1d4 months. While reading prestige on the DRS (currently AFB), I didn't find any mention of the time needed to renew them. Is it mentioned somewhere or is it up to the DM?
You simply missed it, I'll bold it for you.
Thrallherd (Ex): A thrallherd who has just entered the class sends out a subtle psychic call for servants, and that call is answered. Essentially, the character gains something akin to the Leadership feat, but with some important differences.
Those who answer a thrallherd’s call are not referred to as cohorts and followers, but rather as thralls and believers, respectively. They do not appear because they admire the character and want to serve her, but because a hidden psychic resonance connects the thrallherd and her servants.
As with the Leadership feat, a thrallherd has a Leadership score that determines the highest-level thrall and believers she can attract. A thrallherd’s Leadership score is equal to her character level + her Cha modifier + her thrallherd level. (Note that her thrallherd level is counted twice.) This score is not affected by any of the modifiers mentioned in the Leadership feat.
As with the Leadership feat, the called thrall’s level is limited, even if the character’s Leadership score would indicate a higher-level thrall. Unlike with the Leadership feat, the level limit of a thrall is equal to the character’s total level minus 1 (not level minus 2, as is true for cohorts).
A thrallherd cannot take the Leadership feat; if the character already has it, the feat is lost and replaced by this ability; those who were previously cohorts and followers go their separate ways, and those who are more mentally pliable show up later to take up roles as thralls and believers. A thrallherd’s first thrall and believers arrive within 24 hours of her entry into this class; likewise, lost thralls and believers are replaced within 24 hours.
Use the following table instead of the one with the Leadership feat to determine the level of a thrallherd’s thrall and the number of believers of various levels a thrallherd can attract. Of course, it say "within 24 hours", so its entirely possible for them to be there sooner.

The Viscount
2015-10-28, 02:32 PM
If you have some minions and don't care about their livelihood Warchief is very much into that. It has an ability that increases the strength of surrounding creatures at the cost of damage per round. It's a way to use minions when you aren't draining them for strength. If you have enough initiator levels, you might also take Aura of Tyranny, which heals you by damaging allies slowly.

danzibr
2015-10-28, 02:56 PM
Soul Eater is a class from BoVD that allows you to touch people and give them level drain, while empowering yourself. Somewhere along the line you get the ability to Shapechange into something that you drain to death. May not be what you're looking for though.
Yeah, while it doesn't exactly meet the specifications of the OP, I popped in to say Soul Eater is awesome, especially if you're a Totemist.

Plus 'dat intro song (~tsunaide tamashii no hi ga mune wo sasunara~).