PDA

View Full Version : Jump spell and movement question

drspper1
2015-10-27, 09:06 AM
If you have jump spell on you, you have say 20 strength, and you move 10+ feet, can you then long jump another 60ft and then attack a target with your action? Or does a jump use up your action?

hymer
2015-10-27, 09:10 AM
If you have jump spell on you, you have say 20 strength, and you move 10+ feet, can you then long jump another 60ft and then attack a target with your action? Or does a jump use up your action?

When jumping during a fight, jumping is part of your movement, and as such limited by how far you can move in a round. You can't go any faster in a fight with jump than without it.
A kind DM might allow you to start a 60' jump in one round and finish it in the next.

Ninja_Prawn
2015-10-27, 09:19 AM
A kind DM might allow you to start a 60' jump in one round and finish it in the next.

I would do this if I were DM. It complies with the RAW, and it's absolutely hilarious! Plus, it's interesting from a tactical perspective, because once you've started a jump like that, your landing point is predetermined, which might encourage an enemy to lay a trap for you (is there a spell that turns ground into lava? There should be!). That is one of the main reasons people don't do acrobatics in real-life combat, after all.

Firechanter
2015-10-27, 10:01 AM
BTW, are there any rules how far you can normally jump, without magicks?

hymer
2015-10-27, 10:04 AM
BTW, are there any rules how far you can normally jump, without magicks?

A number of feet equal to your strength score with 10' running start.

Firechanter
2015-10-27, 10:24 AM
Ah, thank you. And that can be improved by an Athletics check?

hymer
2015-10-27, 10:31 AM
Ah, thank you. And that can be improved by an Athletics check?

No. Ahtletics allows you to perform more challenging jumps, like if there's a ceiling to avoid or an obstacle to clear. The distance is fixed.
You're welcome!

Firechanter
2015-10-27, 10:59 AM
Well, I would call "further" also more challenging.

hymer
2015-10-27, 11:05 AM
Well, I would call "further" also more challenging.

My words you're arguing with, not RAW.

ad_hoc
2015-10-27, 11:12 AM
My words you're arguing with, not RAW.

pg 175 PHB: "You try to jump an unusually long distance" is an example of a Strength (Athletics) check.

Firechanter
2015-10-27, 11:19 AM
Yes, that's what I meant. My question is, what are the DCs to jump what kind of distance?

hymer
2015-10-27, 11:38 AM
pg 175 PHB: "You try to jump an unusually long distance" is an example of a Strength (Athletics) check.

Right, you're right. Just, you know, the usual problem. :smallsmile:

Yes, that's what I meant. My question is, what are the DCs to jump what kind of distance?

Ask your DM. All RAW gives you is distance based on Str.

SharkForce
2015-10-27, 11:57 AM

this is 5e. the DC is whatever number your DM pulls out of their butt.

Vogonjeltz
2015-10-27, 04:55 PM

The answer to that is dependent on how difficult your DM thinks such an action is. I'd say it would start around Easy or so and go up from there, mostly because you can always jump less than that distance with no chance of failure inherent.