PDA

View Full Version : flying equipment?

kemmotar
2007-05-25, 05:22 PM
What would be the best flying equipment around? Probably a scroll one might say if you have UMD for fly...however i'm looking for constant flying. A ring of flight or winged boots (if i remember the name correctly) take up slots that could be used for more useful items...An earring is not exactly an item slot though is it?

I think i remember a boosterpack like item with winds but it has limited uses, i think once per day..
What are the more useful alternatives? If its a specific item please include the book you found it in:smallbiggrin:

thx alot

goat
2007-05-25, 05:24 PM
Natural Wings.

Innis Cabal
2007-05-25, 05:25 PM
umm....classic flying item, flying carpet

kemmotar
2007-05-25, 05:26 PM
Well LA is not good to have just for wings...Plus most races that have natural fly speed and are worth it have much higher LA anyway..

For example one race that really would be worth it as a rogue is a pixie, small with gr. invisibility all the time and good fly speed and good maneuverability which means you can also hover, one thing that many flying races dont have is good maneuverability thus requiring you to get an extra feat "hover" if you want to use full attack from flight...

Fourth Tempter
2007-05-25, 05:27 PM
http://www.d20srd.org/indexes/magicItems.htm

Boots of Flying are the thrice-per-day cheap version, Wings of Flying are the expensive continuous version.

Shas aia Toriia
2007-05-25, 06:56 PM
Or you could be a Raptoran, from Races of the Wild.

Talya
2007-05-25, 07:17 PM
Well LA is not good to have just for wings...Plus most races that have natural fly speed and are worth it have much higher LA anyway.

You can get natural wings with a level adjustment of 0...costs a feat.

kemmotar
2007-05-25, 07:24 PM
I did try raptoran as a wizard/sand shaper...The feral human barbarian kept calling him chicken bacon and i got pissed...he was killed by a yakfolk...The irony...it was a good concept though...I used energy substitution to shoot 10d6 fireballs of lightning at lvl 7 with +caster level feats. Anyway...he died in an awful way and besides raptoran doesn't exactly qualify as a good rogue or archer character. Although it does have fly it has nothing else that is helpful and besides you need higher level to actually fly and it won't be a really good choice at lower levels...

Also what is this about a feat to get natural wings? I'm guessing a first level only feat, probably some lineage or bloodline or something of the like..but what is it?

Talya
2007-05-25, 07:28 PM
Also what is this about a feat to get natural wings? I'm guessing a first level only feat, probably some lineage or bloodline or something of the like..but what is it?

It actually costs two feats:

You need to be Aasimar or Tiefling (which can be done on an LA-0, either by using Lesser Aasimar/Lesser Tiefling, or by using the savage progressions rules on Wizard's website).

You then take celestial or fiendish bloodline (yeah, i forgot you need that.)
You then take "Outsider Wings." (Races of Faerun has it, I know its in other books too, but I'm looking at it right there.) You don't need to take it at level 1. You gain flight at your land speed, average maneuverability. (Yes, that means if you're a monk you end up flying at 90'.)

kemmotar
2007-05-25, 07:36 PM
And then you need to also get the feat hover to be able to hover cause with average maneuverability you always have to move a minimum ammount of feet...

so no good really...was thinking pixie but LA+4 aint that good an idea unless you're doing it for fun...or when you're going dopplegagner:smalltongue:

LordRahl
2007-05-25, 07:48 PM
If your DM would allow it you could take the "Winged Creature" template from Savage Species. Fly speed = base movement +20 feet, maneuverability is based on your Dexterity score. With a 17+ Dexterity you could have perfect maneuverability. Along with flight you get a +4 bonus to Dexterity and a +2 to Wisdom. The template has a +2 LA, but might be worth it for your character concept.

kemmotar
2007-05-25, 08:03 PM
Hmmm...maybe i can convince my DM that it has +2 cha instead of +2 wis coz of the way my wings are descended from an angel or something of the like..Anyway, i'll take a look at it, thanx alot:smallbiggrin:

Kyace
2007-05-26, 01:57 AM
If you don't mind being a little bit evil, you might try the Feathered Wing Fiendish Graft (from Fiend Folio). 10k gp, flight speed twice normal land speed, average maneuverability. Just don't ever expect to succeed on charmisa skill checks against non-evil people. Oddly enough, the wings themself allow you to make free feints, dispite the charmisa check penalty...

BardicDuelist
2007-05-26, 08:30 AM
Wings of Flying with a lower caster level if the DM will let you get away with it. At your lower levels, people aren't supposed to fly really, so unless you have natural wings, you cant. That is why the level adjustments are generally higher.

If you are a bard, I love the dragonsong lyrist's song of flying (it can make your whole party fly). It is in draconomicon.

Really, everything else about that class isn't very useful though.

Aramil Liadon
2007-05-26, 08:57 AM
I don't have it with me, but I'm pretty sure there's a Draconic Wings feat in Races of the Dragon. IIRC, it doesn't even have any prerequisites, 'cept 1st level only.

kemmotar
2007-05-26, 09:30 AM
Aramil the on you're probably thinking of is probably the one with draconic heritage that actually needs 4 or 5 feats...I've seen it in races of the dragon if that's the one you were talking about...really not worth it...

Indon
2007-05-26, 10:07 AM
You then take "Outsider Wings." (Races of Faerun has it, I know its in other books too, but I'm looking at it right there.) You don't need to take it at level 1. You gain flight at your land speed, average maneuverability. (Yes, that means if you're a monk you end up flying at 90'.)

If it actually says "You gain flight at your land movement rate", rather than, "you gain flight at your base movement rate", then wouldn't the monk apply the enhancement speed bonus... twice? Monks apply their speed enhancement bonus to everything.

Talya
2007-05-26, 10:19 AM
If it actually says "You gain flight at your land movement rate", rather than, "you gain flight at your base movement rate", then wouldn't the monk apply the enhancement speed bonus... twice? Monks apply their speed enhancement bonus to everything.

I'd need to check, but even if that was the case, it wouldn't stack with itself.