PDA

View Full Version : Optimization gestalt monster build help needed!

killianh
2015-10-27, 07:20 PM
Hello Playground!

So let me explain the situation that I have and hopefully you can help out. We are going to be starting a new campaign using gestalt. I want to build a kind of multi purpose holy warrior type, and I decided to have one side used on being an astral deva (SS 20 level progression), but I am drawing a complete blank on what to do with the other side. I was thinking some kind of monk/sorc type, but I don't like the MAD aspect.

All content available except magazine and third party. And ideas would help as I'm at a complete mental block on which option I should work on.

NomGarret
2015-10-28, 09:25 AM
Well in the long run the stat boosts of the deva side will cover a lot of MAD issues. The first options that come to mind are swordsage and incarnate, but you could go a lot of different directions.

Tiri
2015-10-29, 10:18 AM
Well, if you want a multi-purpose holy warrior, cleric works pretty well. You can fight and do a lot of other things with your spells.

gorfnab
2015-10-29, 02:05 PM
Swordsage or Crusader would match fairly nicely with an Astral Deva chasis.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2015-10-29, 07:28 PM
The Astral Deva savage progression gets Outsider HD for the first five levels, so no matter what else you take with those levels you'll get at least d8 hp, 8+Int skill points, full BAB, and all good saves.

You could go with the tanky melee combat plus healing build of Crusader 5/ Binder 1/ Hellreaver 5/ Crusader 9, which gets 9th level maneuvers, can heal someone for 20 hp every round as a swift action in addition to the normal Crusader healing, and tons of useful class features. Binder is there for Naberius so you immediately heal the Con damage from Heroic Sacrifice to keep powering your Hellreaver class features. Be sure to take that Binder level before you hit 6th, so you'll have an Outsider HD with it.

You'll probably have a more powerful character if you take spellcasting with those racial HD. It looks like Cha is the first stat you'll get a bunch of bonuses to, so Sorcerer would be a natural fit. Say you visited the Frog God's Fane in CS to get Skill Focus to qualify for Divine Oracle, which gives you Evasion and Uncanny Dodge without losing spellcasting. Go Sorcerer 5/ Abjurant Champion 1/ Divine Oracle 1, then alternate between Abjurant Champion and Divine Oracle levels so at the 6th and next four even-numbered savage progression levels that don't grant a HD you'll have Abjurant Champion BAB, HD, saves, etc. and at the odd-numbered savage progression levels you'll use the Outsider HD chassis instead of Divine Oracle's BAB and other benefits. Once you're at Sorcerer 5/ Abjurant Champion 5/ Divine Oracle 4, you could pick up Sacred Exorcist or maybe Paragnostic Apostle or whatever other prestige class will continue advancing your spellcasting with useful class features. The point of this will be to buff yourself and use efficient crowd controls, plus Wings of Cover, to give your character and your party a significant advantage in every encounter.

TheifofZ
2015-10-30, 12:04 AM
Holy warrior type screams crusader, to me.
Or, and this one is crazy, you could take paladin.
Don't use your paladin mount as an actual mount, instead it's a capable flanker, portable cover, and a source of whatever you build -it- for.
You also get Cha to saves, which is pretty sweet given all the boosts you get to Cha. If you can trade off the 'spellcasting' paladins get for anything better... (Let's be honest here. The other half of the gestalt will do similar things, but better. Without being a wasted class feature. Because paladin spellcasting is pretty terrible.)
Or Cleric/Fighter/Prestige Paladin.

None of these will be super high optimized, but they're options.

Grod_The_Giant
2015-10-30, 10:46 AM
Ascetic Mage will solve your monk-sorcerer MAD issues.

TheMooch
2015-10-30, 11:33 AM
Since you are getting decent wisdom and charisma you could do your other side as barbarian 5/hellreaver 1/Champion of gwynharwyf 2/divine oracle 2/knight of the raven 5/hellreaver+5

This sets you up as a tankish character, you have some basic spells, rage, cha to saves, evasion, the ability to force provokes from 5ft steps and the hellreaver healing