PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Combo Question - Lingering Spell + Generation

thecrimsondawn
2015-10-28, 12:37 AM
Lingering Evocations (Su): Any evocation spell you cast with a duration greater than instantaneous lasts an additional number of rounds equal to 1/2 your wizard level (minimum +1). At 20th level, any dispel checks made against your evocation spells must be rolled twice, and your opponent must use the less favorable result.

Lingering Spell (Metamagic)

Your spell clings to existence, slowly fading from the world.

Benefit: You may cause an instantaneous spell that affects an area to persist until the beginning of your next turn. Those already in the area suffer no additional harm, but other creatures or objects entering the area are subject to its effects. A lingering spell with a visual manifestation obscures vision, providing concealment (20% miss chance) beyond 5 feet and total concealment (50% miss chance) beyond 20 feet.

Im thinking it should work just fine since the duration is no longer instantaneous anymore, even tho those direct words are not present. Also assuming it does work, the words "You may cause an instantaneous spell that affects an area" also have my attention. Do you think its talking about spells with only an area (such as fireball) or any evocation spell that has an area (aka, not a ranged touch spell)

Psyren
2015-10-28, 08:15 AM
This is a GM call - as written, Lingering Spell makes a spell "persist" for a round, but it doesn't technically change the spell's "Duration" entry. Personally I'd allow it though, there's way stronger metamagic you could be using.

Note that not allowing this could actually be the stronger option - it means your spell is still "instantaneous," despite lingering for a round, and therefore can't be dispelled at all. Allowing this makes it last longer for evokers but opens you up to an early dispel.

Necroticplague
2015-10-28, 08:22 AM
Strict RAW? Doesn't work. A Lingering Spell is still instantaneous, because it never says it changes the duration of the spell.

As to as to what it can apply to, anything that has an "area" line should work.

thecrimsondawn
2015-10-28, 12:22 PM
I see...

As far as much stronger metamagic that I could be using, I dont fully agree there. Of course I could always max and empower, or add debuffs and cause saves to be rerolled, but picture this.
You are fighting this mage who just used burning hands. The spell reaches out 15 feet and then just stays there for a REALLY long time. Not only is it providing cover, its also creating something akin to a wall spell now, even tho it only damage tics once.
After just a couple rounds, you can have a cage of evocation spells that do massive damage, and then you can just bombard whoever is in the cage, causing them to panic as they now cant really tell where they are going. While the damage is still normal (maybe +5 damage levels) its still a nasty thought.

What I am making is a Wyvaran with 5 free metamagic levels by lv 20, so I am checking my options out. Raw damage is just bland and boring, but changing the very nature of spells is a big thing.
Ive also considered just using widen and reach spells to cast from crazy far away (carpet bombing basically)

5 levels of metamagic opens up a whole lot of combos, so I am reviewing what I can do with it now before I need this finished :3