PDA

View Full Version : Cool things to do with Aurorum

paranoidbox
2015-10-28, 02:53 AM
Hi all. I'm playing something of a crafter and I recently got my hands on some Aurorum. Not a huge amount, but enough to make, let's say, a full plate or something(s) of similar proportions.

The problem is... what the heck do you make with Aurorum? I don't want to make a weapon with it, because 1) my weapon of choice is a crossbow, 2) my party members are all set as far as their primary weapons go, and 3) sundering hardly ever happens in our games.

So what interesting, cool uses can you suggest for me to do with this special material?

Jowgen
2015-10-28, 05:17 AM
Stage 1

-Worship Pelor
-Craft aurorum into a morning star
-Perform a Bonding Ritual with it (DMG2) and thus...
-Ignore spells, crafting feat prerequs and time required in Crafting as you make it into a Dawnstar relic
-Form the proper divine connection as per normal

You now move onto stage 2

-Sunder it lightly until it's HP are low enough for you to sunder it with one more minimum damage strike
-At an opportune time, use it as the game's most destructive explosive (might wanna find a way to sunder from 30 ft away)
-Wander about and use prestidigitation's "gather" function to get all the pieces back together
-Solve the Millennium Puzzle, piecing the broken dawnstar back together until it's back to working order
-Repeat stage 2 whenever convenient

Mr Adventurer
2015-10-28, 08:59 AM
If you craft your crossbow bolts out of it, you'll only need as many as you fire in a combat, so long as you can gather the broken ones and let them repair.

paranoidbox
2015-10-28, 09:23 AM
Stage 1

-Worship Pelor
-Craft aurorum into a morning star
-Perform a Bonding Ritual with it (DMG2) and thus...
-Ignore spells, crafting feat prerequs and time required in Crafting as you make it into a Dawnstar relic
-Form the proper divine connection as per normal

You now move onto stage 2

-Sunder it lightly until it's HP are low enough for you to sunder it with one more minimum damage strike
-At an opportune time, use it as the game's most destructive explosive (might wanna find a way to sunder from 30 ft away)
-Wander about and use prestidigitation's "gather" function to get all the pieces back together
-Solve the Millennium Puzzle, piecing the broken dawnstar back together until it's back to working order
-Repeat stage 2 whenever convenient

Hah, sounds pretty nifty, but I'm positive that is not going to fly at our table. (Just as a note: there's no reaon to sunder it from 30 feet away, apparently you're not affected by the explosion at all.)

If you craft your crossbow bolts out of it, you'll only need as many as you fire in a combat, so long as you can gather the broken ones and let them repair.

Right? That was my first idea, but the DM didn't allow it. He said crossbow bolts are mostly wood and it's just the tip that would be made out of Aurorum, so the shafts would be destroyed no matter what anyway.

WeaselGuy
2015-10-28, 10:39 AM
I had a DM that let me use Aurorum Shuriken with the Returning property for my master thrower build, that way I only needed to have about a dozen of them, instead of like, a hundred.

paranoidbox
2015-10-28, 12:10 PM
I had a DM that let me use Aurorum Shuriken with the Returning property for my master thrower build, that way I only needed to have about a dozen of them, instead of like, a hundred.

I can't respec to a shuriken build, but otherwise I'm sure that would be pretty good, yes :-)

daremetoidareyo
2015-10-28, 11:08 PM
what splat is aurorum from?

Rubik
2015-10-28, 11:19 PM
what splat is aurorum from?The Book of Erotic* Exalted Deeds.

*Damnit. I always do that.

ZamielVanWeber
2015-10-28, 11:24 PM
The Book of Erotic* Exalted Deeds.

*Damnit. I always do that.

Book of Erotic Fantasy has a strictly worse mithril for what it is worth.

ben-zayb
2015-10-29, 12:38 AM
If your DM rules that any sort of destruction to the object counts, instead of plain old sundering, just enhance an Aurorum melee weapon with Flying, for a 12k trapmonkey.

A Sizing Flying Aurorum weapon melee weapon can give you a self-reconstructing Colossal Animated Object for 22k. Bonus points if you use a melee weapon shaped like an egg.

Uncle Pine
2015-10-29, 02:03 AM
A Sizing Flying Aurorum weapon melee weapon can give you a self-reconstructing Colossal Animated Object for 22k. Bonus points if you use a melee weapon shaped like an egg.

An adamantine egg is always masterwork and thus can be enchanted as normal for a masterwork weapon.

I was going to suggest to build aurorum bolts, but that's been ruled out... So I'll just mention that one of my players decided that he wants to buy a called sectioned armor made of aurorum for the additional Saint Seyia feeling.

paranoidbox
2015-10-29, 03:48 AM
Hmm, a flying trapmonkey sounds doable. Why does it need to be egg-shaped?

(Please note: I am old. I only barely understood the Saint Seiya reference ;-p)

ben-zayb
2015-10-29, 04:06 AM
Hmm, a flying trapmonkey sounds doable. Why does it need to be egg-shaped?

Not too old enough to miss the Humpty Dumpty reference, I hope!:smalltongue:

@UnclePine Aren't those both special materials? Can you make an Aurorum-Adamantine alloy of sorts?

Rubik
2015-10-29, 04:25 AM
I've always liked the idea of using spell storing arrows and spell storing dye arrows to attack and debuff foes and buff and heal allies as attack actions, using aurorum to put the arrows back together again afterward, but arrows and bolts are obviously out of the question in this case.

You know that trick with the talisman things that you break to cast a spell, rather than a potion or oil? Make one from aurorum, and you can put it right back together again, much like that one truenamer trick that "nobody else can do." Except now, you can.

Find a staff of power or other item that can make a retributive strike when you break it. Make it out of aurorum.

Uncle Pine
2015-10-29, 04:32 AM
Basically "I have a golden segmented armor that I can store in my cubic backpack and equip it really fast shouting things like "AAAAAAH"". The character in question is a Barbarian/Warblade who's planning to go into Master of Nine and is renaming every maneuver he has. He also shouts the names when he execute the maneuvers.

@UnclePine Aren't those both special materials? Can you make an Aurorum-Adamantine alloy of sorts?

Damn, you're right... I forgot this was an aurorum thread and posted the default response to the " I need to enchant a mundane object" problem. :smallredface:
By the way, I'm not aware of any 1st party rule on special material alloys.

paranoidbox
2015-10-29, 04:34 AM
Not too old enough to miss the Humpty Dumpty reference, I hope!:smalltongue:

Oh... uhmmm... yes, much too old for even that >_>

I've always liked the idea of using spell storing arrows and spell storing dye arrows to attack and debuff foes and buff and heal allies as attack actions, using aurorum to put the arrows back together again afterward, but arrows and bolts are obviously out of the question in this case.

You know that trick with the talisman things that you break to cast a spell, rather than a potion or oil? Make one from aurorum, and you can put it right back together again, much like that one truenamer trick that "nobody else can do." Except now, you can.

Find a staff of power or other item that can make a retributive strike when you break it. Make it out of aurorum.

Yeah, it's a shame about the bolts, I really thought I was on to something there. (It's not even as if that's particularly economy-breaking or anything. It's just convenient.)

The DM has been known to use the talisman alternative to potions. Even if I do have to recast a spell into it after breaking it (much like the spell storing quality), this might be worth the aurorum.

Like the Dawnstar trick, I don't think retributive strike staffs made out of aurorum are going to be a possible in our games.

paranoidbox
2015-10-29, 04:41 AM
Basically "I have a golden segmented armor that I can store in my cubic backpack and equip it really fast shouting things like "AAAAAAH"". The character in question is a Barbarian/Warblade who's planning to go into Master of Nine and is renaming every maneuver he has. He also shouts the names when he execute the maneuvers.

Damn, you're right... I forgot this was an aurorum thread and posted the default response to the " I need to enchant a mundane object" problem. :smallredface:

Hah! I like the shouting what you're doing thing, sounds like a hoot. Though, I'm thinking more of Gru from Despicable Me shouting whatever gun he's using at the moment.

I don't think there's rules for alloys, but I should research making them in-game. It could be a worthwhile endeavor. Hmmm...

Bronk
2015-10-29, 04:52 AM
There's actually an alloy called Oerthblood from Dragon 351 that's basically the equivalent of adamantine/whatever.

ben-zayb
2015-10-29, 05:11 AM
I'm tempted to make a Truenamer named "Lord Kingsmen". Rebuild Item on a destroyed Sizing Flying Adamantine Egg? No problem!

Uncle Pine
2015-10-29, 05:12 AM
Hah! I like the shouting what you're doing thing, sounds like a hoot. Though, I'm thinking more of Gru from Despicable Me shouting whatever gun he's using at the moment.

Except your opponent probably won't automatically know what your "rending spatial distortion tecnique" entails unless a) he rolls high on Martial Lore or b) he's already dead.