PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Noble Fey: Please Critique!

StandardDeviant
2015-10-28, 10:40 AM
Hi, gang!

My current campaign features a strange, fey-haunted forest. Flipping through the usual repertoires of monstrosities, I haven't found anything that quite fits my Terry Pratchett-inspired vision for the nasty fairies. Below, then, is my attempt to fill that niche. The low CR is a requirement: I'm aiming these critters at a party of at most three first-level PCs. So one thing I could use eyeballs on is whether this creature is appropriately statted for its CR. As the campaign progresses, I'm planning to beef the fey up with class levels.

I'm not particularly attached to the name; if "elves" weren't already a thing, I'd just call them that and be done.

Any thoughts? Thanks!

This radiantly beautiful woman is clad in shimmering silks and draped with lustrous pearls. Her features are elvish, but she moves with a liquid grace few elves can match.

Noble Fey CR 1/2
XP 200
CE Medium fey
Init +1; Senses low-light vision; Perception +4

DEFENSE:
AC 14, touch 11, flat-footed 13 (+2 armor, +1 Dex, +1 shield)
hp 7 (2d6)
Fort +0, Ref +4, Will +4;
DR 2/Cold Iron;

OFFENSE
Speed 30 ft.
Melee Rapier +2 (1-6/18-20)
Ranged Longbow +2 (1-8/20 x3)
Spell-Like Abilities: (CL 2nd; concentration +4)
Constant—Disguise Self (DC 12, but see Fae Splendor below)
3/day—Charm Person (DC 12), Suggestion (DC 14)

STATISTICS
Str 10, Dex 12, Con 10, Int 10, Wis 10, Cha 12
Base Atk +1; CMB +1; CMD 11
Feats Weapon Finesse
Skills Acrobatics +5, Bluff +5, Concentration +4, Diplomacy +5, Knowledge (nature) +4, Perception +4, Stealth +5
Languages Common, Elven, Gnome, Sylvan

SPECIAL ABILITIES
Fae Splendor (Su)
A Noble Fey is considered to be under the effects of an Eagle's Splendor spell (+4 Cha) for the purposes of skill checks and spell DCs used against creatures which have not seen through its Disguise Self ability. Note that this includes saving throws made in an attempt to disbelieve the Disguise Self itself.

ECOLOGY
Environment temperate forests
Organization solitary, gang (2-5), or band (7-12)
Treasure NPC gear (leather armor, light wooden shield, rapier, long bow with 20 arrows, other treasure)

The Noble Fey stride the worlds wrapped in a glamour of their own devising, using their Disguise Self ability to appear breathtakingly beautiful. In their true forms, however, Noble Fey are unattractive, unfinished creatures. They would resemble elves, if elves had been slapped together in a hurry by an unskilled sculptor. Beneath their illusory finery, they wear little more than skins and scraps. This doesn't reflect a lack of skill: the faeries' arms and armor are elegant and deadly.

These creatures are rare visitors to the realms of mortals, appearing only in times and places where the barriers between worlds are thin. They care for little more than their own pleasures, usually finding them in the suffering of others. Their visits are rarely welcomed.

The fey described here belong to the Unseelie Court—the "bad fairies." Their Seelie cousins tend toward CN, possibly even CG. While all Noble Fey tend to regard mortals as playthings, the Seelie sort are less apt to break their toys on purpose.

Advancing the Noble Fey: Noble Fey may be advanced by adding additional Fey Hit Dice or class levels. When a Noble Fey reaches 5 HD (by any combination of the above) its DR improves to 5/cold iron. This improves further to a maximum of 10/cold iron at 10 HD. At 5 HD, the Noble Fey also gains the spell-like ability Crushing Despair (DC 15), usable 3/day. Levels in Charisma-based caster classes stack with creature HD for the purpose of determining the caster level of the creature's spell-like abilities.

Dusk Raven
2015-10-29, 02:56 PM
Someone call for some assistance with Fey?!

...To be honest, I may not be a good person to ask for assistance on Fey. I love them, but I think a lot of it is my own interpretation of them - which isn't without foundation, but it's still a bit different from most people's perceptions. I actually don't like a lot of folklore descriptions of Fey, for one simple reason - traditional Fey, Pratchett's Fey, and the Fey of Changeling: the Lost terrify me. And while I respect Pratchett's work - an amazing feat considering I've never read any of his stuff (a notable and coincidental exception being some wordplay on the nature of elves) - my own ideas of what Fey should be are different.

But I digress. I can suggest a name right off the bat. You use the terms Seelie and Unseelie, so in a heartbeat I go to what I think is the root of those words, the Aos Sí (pronounced ees shee) of Irish lore. Translated, it means "people of the mounds" so you could alter it to Fey Shee/Sí/sídhe if you so desire.

Anyway, stats. They seem appropriate for that CR. Actually, they're not impressive. I'd even buff their Dex a bit - got to live up to that "liquid grace" after all. I'd also give them a lot more abilities as they progress, though this is largely the result of me seeing the Seelie and Unseelie as elite amongst Fey, a notion reinforced by the medium through which I first learned of them. Anyway, lots of abilities I could think of for them.