PDA

View Full Version : Incorporeal & Spellcasting

g3taso
2015-10-28, 11:12 AM
How would an incorporeal undead (or someone using Greater Possession on an incorporeal undead) cast spells to affect stuff on the Prime Material Plane. (Note this is a PF/3.5 game).

I've looked up Ethereal Jaunt, and an ethereal character can't affect Prime objects or creatures. I thought some undead had a manifestation ability or some other ability so they can affect corporeal stuff.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2015-10-28, 11:29 AM
How would an incorporeal undead (or someone using Greater Possession on an incorporeal undead) cast spells to affect stuff on the Prime Material Plane. (Note this is a PF/3.5 game).

I've looked up Ethereal Jaunt, and an ethereal character can't affect Prime objects or creatures. I thought some undead had a manifestation ability or some other ability so they can affect corporeal stuff.

Incorporeal isn't the same as Ethereal. Incorporeal creatures can cast spells and use abilities on Prime Material Plane entities just fine.

To quote the text from the definition of Ethereal itself: "Unlike incorporeal creatures, ethereal creatures are not present on the Material Plane." (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#etherealness)

Necroticplague
2015-10-28, 11:35 AM
Incorporeal creatures can cast spells that effect the prime normally. They are on the prime, not anywhere else. Being Ethereal is being on an entirely different plane, while being incoporeal is simply having no physical body.the Manifestation ability you mention is the ability of Ghosts (normally Ethereal) to become Incorporeal on the Prime.

g3taso
2015-10-28, 12:45 PM
That is fantastic. Greater Possession to take over a nice wraith or something not only gives me crazy movement abilities, but the whole ignoring damage potential from corporeal sources is plain awesome!