PDA

View Full Version : What If? Roy, Champion of Thor?

Gecho
2015-10-28, 09:01 PM
First off, let me say that Roy's recent power-up is probably due entirely to the Starmetal-enhanced Greenhilt Sword, but I can't help thinking...

Durkon, a high-level cleric for whom Thor has bent the rules (Weather Control don't work like that!) in the past, is slain in battle by a vampire. By rights, Durkon's soul should be in Valhalla now, but Thor has been cheated out of Durkon's soul by Hel's machinations. As a result, the world is perilously close to destruction and Thor is perilously close to being subjugated/reduced in status by Hel getting millions of Dwarf souls.

But wait! Here comes a Lawful Good human fighter, the only one willing and able to prevent Hel's scam by slaying Durkula. Wouldn't Thor like to bend some rules again by infusing Roy with some divine power? Certainly what Roy has been doing (self-healing, smiting evil) is similar to things a paladin can do.

Just an idle thought.

The gF
2015-10-28, 10:01 PM
Thor's divine power manifests with yellow color. If anything, it'd be the champion of Zeus.

Doof
2015-10-28, 10:08 PM
I don't think completion of one's duty automatically trumps over (lack of) lifetime of devotion and faith. If anygod could claim a powerful character as their champion because they fought to further the god's interest (and not even in their name), then the world would be choke full of 'champions' and 'chosens'.

goodpeople25
2015-10-29, 02:56 AM
I don't think completion of one's duty automatically trumps over (lack of) lifetime of devotion and faith. If anygod could claim a powerful character as their champion because they fought to further the god's interest (and not even in their name), then the world would be choke full of 'champions' and 'chosens'.
What about 'chosen campions' would there be alot of those? Missed opportunity me thinks
:smallwink:

Murk
2015-10-29, 05:06 AM

Isn't that kind of the thing with Favoured Souls? There's plenty of those around.
Which raises the interesting question whether a person can be a Favoured Soul without knowing it.

hroşila
2015-10-29, 05:11 AM
By rights, Durkon's soul should be in Valhalla now, but Thor has been cheated out of Durkon's soul by Hel's machinations.
I disagree. By rights, following the rules of how vampires work in this world and to which all gods had to agree (if only as a compromise), Durkon's soul should be exactly where it is right now. I you could blame a deity for Thor's losing one soul, you'd have to blame Nergal, not Hel.

NerdyKris
2015-10-29, 09:42 AM
Assuming the gods even know what's going on down there, you might ask why Hel doesn't buff Durkon and smite Roy herself. And she would definitely do that if Thor suddenly interrupted the vote to go violate the rules of the godsmoot. It sort of ruins the whole setup in this book of how the gods can't interfere directly to suddenly have a god interfering directly in a situation where even the other clerics and bodyguards can't help out.

One Skunk Todd
2015-10-29, 11:01 AM
I've been wondering if the starmetal might actually be a fleck off of Thor's hammer.

The gF
2015-10-29, 12:06 PM
I've been wondering if the starmetal might actually be a fleck off of Thor's hammer.

Again, if that were the case, it would not be fire, and it would not be green. It would be yellow lightning.

Murk
2015-10-29, 02:16 PM
Again, if that were the case, it would not be fire, and it would not be green. It would be yellow lightning.

A fleck of Eugenes hammer?

Did he have a hammer? Probably, right? Right?

137beth
2015-11-04, 01:15 PM

I'm guessing the OP is referring to the Giant's "Champion" base class that he wrote for 3.5 on this website. It doesn't involve lifetime devotion.

Synesthesy
2015-11-04, 01:56 PM
Only if Thor did it before the Godsmooth.

If Thor did it just because Roy is fighting the High Priest of Hel, it would be cheating both Godsmooth rules and the past agreement within the Gods. And we know that Thor can't do neither.
If Thor did it before, it would be legal. However, I don't think that it is divine power...

D.One
2015-11-04, 02:17 PM
Only if Thor did it before the Godsmooth.

If Thor did it just because Roy is fighting the High Priest of Hel, it would be cheating both Godsmooth rules and the past agreement within the Gods. And we know that Thor can't do neither.
If Thor did it before, it would be legal. However, I don't think that it is divine power...

If anybody here has seen Saint Seiya: Soul of Gold, might identify the green energy not as the power of a god, but as the power of the people of the world, their faith and the power of the world itself...

Ramien
2015-11-04, 02:59 PM
If anybody here has seen Saint Seiya: Soul of Gold, might identify the green energy not as the power of a god, but as the power of the people of the world, their faith and the power of the world itself...

Roy is NOT using the Spirit Bomb. Eugene wasn't wrong when he said this isn't Dragonball Z, and that was powered the same way.