PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder - Halfling Sling Master / Skirmisher build - Help needed! :)

Greenfeuer
2015-10-29, 07:35 AM
Hey there people! I am brewing a build together and I need som advice, sadly got no feedback on my last post. Here are the details, feel free to skip in the text if you just wanna help with stats. Its a no magic/no animal companion ranger build I am making by the way ;)

I am currently playing a Warhammer Fantasy campaign, and we are trying to convert old characters from warhammer second edition into the pathfinder system. So faar with great succuess.

I got this old Halfling character who was very focused on the use of a sling, with sword and buckler as backup melee. Field Warden the class was called and it was this sort of "Scout/ranger" ranged hobbit type who are VERY much alike to Halfling Sling Master also lore wise, beside the detail of magic. I am unsure and so is my GM if it was only in Warhammre Second edition roleplaying game that halflings was unable to use magic, but we don't have a 100% clear go go on that. So we liked to make the spells "Just lucky momments or tricks of a proffesional" aka. Work as magic game wise/Mechanic but ingame not magic at all.

But then I wondered, is it possiable to combine skirmisher with Halfling Sling Master succesfully? I like to keep the slingtricks + sling bonuses along with stealth. Stat wise and ability wise Halfling Sling Master is spot on beside the magic, which we can work around with in character explainations. And chooseing some of the more toned down ranger spells.

But do you guys see a balanced way of mixing the two to make a non magic user Halfling Sling Master? Which I prefer to be honest :D

Animal companions + wild empathy and the more wild aspects don't sit too well with my character either. Is so why Halfling Sling Master fit the best so faar, beside the magic :) Spell-less ranger doesn't fit too well either cause it focus alot of animals + wild empathy.

So faar we switched spellcraft into knowlegde necromancy/religion since Field Wardens are known to hunt down undeads who enter the borders of the moot + a bagground story with slaying a elven necromancer. So favored target would ofcourse be undead :)

Here are the links:

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/3rd-party-classes/kobold-press-open-design/elven-archer/halfling-sling-master

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/ranger/archetypes/paizo---ranger-archetypes/skirmisher

My GM is good with combineing these, but its also nice to know if its bad idear or good, or if somthings gets messed up.

Enhancted bullets will be switched out with bonus feats on the allowance of my GM :)

Question is too if its worth putting more than 12 in wisdom, with skirmish or if its faar better to keeo this setup.

So faar my build is.

If more focused on getting strenght to 14. I prefer this one so faar due to sling + melee damge.

We are level 6 by the way ;)

25 points each. Thinking of these two most.

Str 13
Dex 18
Con 14
Int 12
Wis 12
Cha 14

Str 13
Dex 18
Con 14
Int 10
Wis 14
Cha 13
___

25 points each.

Str 12
Dex 18
Con 14
Int 10
Wis 14
Cha 14

Str 13
Dex 18
Con 14
Int 11
Wis 14
Cha 12.

Greenfeuer
2015-10-29, 07:43 AM
I am mostly seeking advice about stats + feats and such. My GM is cool with the build, but it would be awesome to know if this would be viable too, so faar it seemse like it :)

Greenfeuer
2015-10-30, 05:28 AM
Fixed broken links.

Hope somone will help me out tho :)

52 views yet no answers. Come on folks! Give your thoughs :)

avr
2015-10-30, 07:59 AM
I bet a bunch of people opened the thread and were turned off by all the typos and bad grammar. If your writing's a pain to read be aware that many won't bother trying.

Anyway, if you're thinking of trading in spellcasting for a version of the ranger skirmisher archetype, IMO don't. Spellcasting of some kind is better even without the way it lets you use scrolls and wands. Skirmisher tricks are based off wisdom and you implied you wanted charisma more, too. Obviously if you get wis-based skirmisher tricks you focus on wis over cha, if you get cha-based spellcasting you're going to want 14 cha by level 7.

Looking at the class the blinding sling trick is broken good. No save blindness is like that. Otherwise it looks good but not broken to me.

For feats, archery is pretty straightforward usually. Something like
1: point blank shot
2B: precise shot
3: rapid shot
5: deadly aim
would be how I'd start it. I see the class gets manyshot as a bonus feat option; if getting that as a bonus feat means they can use it with a sling (usually that's not possible), do so.
Assuming so, then
7: weapon focus
8B: manyshot

mpollack
2015-10-30, 11:02 AM
For stats, you want high dex (to hit, stealth, AC, etc.), and at least good strength (damage for both, to hit for melee).(I would at least get it to 13 or 14 after racial). You can drop Cha and Int to 10 unless you're also the party face or you are thinking of splashing rogue.

That leaves con and wis. You shouldn't be spending a lot of time in melee, but you've stated that you're swapping out spellcasting for a prestige class that doesn't rely on wisdom for much. So you can probably drop wisdom a bit and focus on con.

feat wise: if you're not touching a bow, you want archery feats that aren't bow specific, like manyshot (unless the DM will houserule that it works on slings). Point Blank. Reload. Precise Shot. Deadly Aim. Quickdraw (which will help you switch weapons, too). If allowed, take the Warslinger racial trait. Consider weapon focus to boost damage.

As for the sword, you may prefer to go THF.

Greenfeuer
2015-11-02, 07:30 PM
Thanks for the answers! I reply more in depth later. However Sling Master gets an ability at first level to rapid reload slings, so no need for warsling trait.

Would a Halfling sling master / skirmisher be good with 12 wis? It means 1 trick use lesser per day basicly. I like to have atleast 12 to 14 in cha to cause it fits the char. My strenght will be 13 and 14 at level 8, ofcourse after racial -2. Like to have that damge ekstra for slings and melee.

As for it, big fan of a skill full character so between 11-12 in int so I may raise it later however getting dex to 19 at level 12 for feats would be nice too ;)

Personally prefer this so faar:
level 6, 25 points.

13 Str
18 Dex
14 Con
12 Int
12 Wis
14 Cha

May consinder more wis tho.

As for feats going for: Quick Draw, Point Blank, Fortunate One, Lucky Strike.

At level 10 going for the apative fortune feat. Ofcourse picked the apative luck trait :)

Greenfeuer
2015-11-02, 07:32 PM
THF sword?

Greenfeuer
2015-11-06, 06:37 AM
For stats, you want high dex (to hit, stealth, AC, etc.), and at least good strength (damage for both, to hit for melee).(I would at least get it to 13 or 14 after racial). You can drop Cha and Int to 10 unless you're also the party face or you are thinking of splashing rogue.

That leaves con and wis. You shouldn't be spending a lot of time in melee, but you've stated that you're swapping out spellcasting for a prestige class that doesn't rely on wisdom for much. So you can probably drop wisdom a bit and focus on con.

feat wise: if you're not touching a bow, you want archery feats that aren't bow specific, like manyshot (unless the DM will houserule that it works on slings). Point Blank. Reload. Precise Shot. Deadly Aim. Quickdraw (which will help you switch weapons, too). If allowed, take the Warslinger racial trait. Consider weapon focus to boost damage.

As for the sword, you may prefer to go THF.

What is THF? :)

And if you like! Do comment on my stats, I am mostly pleased with them. My only concern is whenever my wis modifier is high enough. Skirmisher can use a number of tricks per day. The times they can use it is half you class level + wis modifier. :)