PDA

View Full Version : Random Feat Questions

ZamielVanWeber
2015-10-29, 02:57 PM
1) There is a feat that I cannot remember that massively boosted the range on share spells. I don't know anything beyond that and am having no luck finding it. Does anyone know it?

2) Does anyone know where the feat Back to the Wall came from?

OldTrees1
2015-10-29, 03:11 PM
1) Companion Spellbond (3rd edition, Player's Handbook II pg 77):
Share spells 30ft
Cast Touch spells on Familiar at close (25ft+5ft/2cl) range.

2) It is a 4th edition feat found in the Player's Handbook 1.

I could not find a 3rd edition equivalent. There is a 3rd edition feat called Stoneback(Races of Stone pg144, requires Shield Proficiency, Tunnel Fighting) that prevents flanking when wielding a shield and adjacent to a wall.

However neither the 4E feat nor Stoneback is good design for a 3rd edition feat. Instead you would want to create a "Defensive Formation" [Tactical] feat with little to no prerequisites that included using a wall as one of the tactical maneuvers.

Flickerdart
2015-10-29, 03:19 PM
Enspell Familiar (Dragon Compendium) extends the range of Share Spells to 1 mile.

Troacctid
2015-10-29, 03:41 PM
You may be thinking of the Scout alternate class feature from Dungeonscape, or possibly the Undermountain Tactics feat.

ZamielVanWeber
2015-10-29, 03:53 PM
To clarify: Back to the Wall gives bonuses when your HP is under 25%. I am honestly looking for a feat for my animal companion,
a celestial dungeon bred mage bred ghost tiger. I know dungeon bred is illegal but my DM offered it to tempt me away from fleshraker.

Grod_The_Giant
2015-10-29, 04:07 PM
Vow of Poverty? If it's Celestial, it's already super-Good aligned...

Gray Mage
2015-10-29, 04:11 PM
To clarify: Back to the Wall gives bonuses when your HP is under 25%. I am honestly looking for a feat for my animal companion,
a celestial dungeon bred mage bred ghost tiger. I know dungeon bred is illegal but my DM offered it to tempt me away from fleshraker.

Bonus to what? I haven't found a feat in 3.5 with this name, but maybe it's under a different one?

ZamielVanWeber
2015-10-29, 04:12 PM
Vow of Poverty? If it's Celestial, it's already super-Good aligned...

Lemme list its feat:
B: Run
B: Endurance
1: Sacred Vow
3: Vow of Poverty
4b: Nimbus of Light
6:
6b: Stigmata
8b:Touch of Golden Ice

Bonus to what? I haven't found a feat in 3.5 with this name, but maybe it's under a different one?

If what I was told is correct, it is a +2 untyped bonus to AC and attack rolls.

Grod_The_Giant
2015-10-29, 04:20 PM
Lemme list its feat:
B: Run
B: Endurance
1: Sacred Vow
3: Vow of Poverty
4b: Nimbus of Light
6:
6b: Stigmata
8b:Touch of Golden Ice
Multiattack seems like a good choice for a pouncer like a tiger? Or Ability Focus for a ghost power you particularly like?

ZamielVanWeber
2015-10-29, 04:51 PM
Multiattack seems like a good choice for a pouncer like a tiger? Or Ability Focus for a ghost power you particularly like?

He has only one attack aside from his claws (rakes are claw attacks and will be buffed by greater magic fang). Also ghost tiger is the base animal. It does not have the ghost template. I can give it the ghost template, but it does not have it natively and giving it ghost is a temporary measure.

Rubik
2015-10-29, 06:42 PM
Ghostly Grasp so your ghost tiger is functionally at-will corporeal.

That, or Life Sense.

Or was that a different type of ghost tiger?

ZamielVanWeber
2015-10-29, 06:44 PM
Ghostly Grasp so your ghost tiger is functionally at-will corporeal.

That, or Life Sense.

He is an animal called a ghost tiger, not a tiger with the ghost/ghost brute template. Otherwise Life Sense would be hot.

I am currently thinking of running with Mage Slayer.

Rubik
2015-10-29, 06:47 PM
He is an animal called a ghost tiger, not a tiger with the ghost/ghost brute template. Otherwise Life Sense would be hot.

I am currently thinking of running with Mage Slayer.How about Improved Unarmed Strike so it gets a full attack routine in addition to its natural attacks?

Shape Soulmeld followed by a chakra bind feat or a daily casting of one of the Open Chakra spells? I like the phase cloak, myself.

Troacctid
2015-10-29, 07:04 PM
Steadfast Determination is also solid if your Con is good and you already have Endurance as a bonus feat.

sleepyphoenixx
2015-10-30, 03:33 AM
The Mage Slayer line is useful, if your DM allows animals to learn it. Martial Study/Stance is another good option but also not always allowed.
For something more basic there's always Power Attack + Leap Attack. You may not get the bonus for twohanding, but all your natural attacks get the bonus so it evens out.

How about Improved Unarmed Strike so it gets a full attack routine in addition to its natural attacks?

Shape Soulmeld followed by a chakra bind feat or a daily casting of one of the Open Chakra spells? I like the phase cloak, myself.

A good feat with many options. Phase Cloak is a good mobility option, but there's a few more you should consider.
Girallon Arms adds a small grapple bonus and lets you rend with your claws when bound. With an animal companions high Str that can add up to quite a bit of damage.
Dread Carapace gives you pseudo-PA and Improved Critical for all your natural weapons.
Kraken Mantle adds some good damage to a grappler (so it's generally better on bears, but tigers are also an option if you want to go that way).
Shedu Crown adds telepathy. Generally more useful for Arcane Hierophants Companion Familiar, especially with Mindsight.
Totem Avatar gets you some minor bonus hp and either Improved Grapple or a size increase to all your natural weapons.
Urskan Greaves add damage to your charges, but you'll need a source of essentia to make the most of it.
Worg Pelt gets you free trip attacks on a bite.
Chaos Roc's Span gets you 2 wing attacks with reach, with a chance to daze when bound.

Troacctid
2015-10-30, 03:35 AM
Don't forget Soulspeaker Circlet to give your animal the ability to speak.

ZamielVanWeber
2015-10-30, 09:43 AM
I like Girallon Arms and Chaos Roc Span the most out of those melds, as well as IUS. Girallon arms add to my (now meagre) grapple bonus, which is nice when I have improved grab, and at 12 HD I can grab an arm bind for rend damage. Chaos Roc Span adds a touch of damage early on and at 12 I can have a daze attack. Sadly it is mind-affecting, but I cannot have everything.