PDA

View Full Version : Which class would you say is the best/most popular 1-3 lvl dip class in 5e?

Spacehamster
2015-10-29, 04:35 PM
So curious with people that have had lots of experience playing 5e what
their favorite class is to dip into and what kind of build they made. :)

eastmabl
2015-10-29, 04:41 PM
In terms of builds, I've seen a lot of two level dips for Rogue (Cunning Action), Fighter (Action Surge, Second Wind, Fighting Style), and Warlock (Eldritch Blast and Agonizing Blast) seem to be pretty popular.

Edgerunner
2015-10-29, 05:19 PM
With Arcane Domain I can see Cleric becoming popular as well.

Jebble
2015-10-29, 05:29 PM
Cleric for warrior classes. The 1'st level abilities is pretty great and bless is awesome. Warriors need a bit of wisdom anyway for wisdom saving throw.

Corran
2015-10-29, 05:35 PM
Haven't had tons of experience, but I see 2-3 levels of warlock being good for just some extra spell slots per short rest (among other things) to be a common enough thing in my games. A dip in fighter is useful as well, especially for those looking for action surge and a good nova round, but imo the problem with a fighter dip is that it is difficult to decide when to stop. A barb 1-3 levels dip is useful imo as well, as long as you dont worry too much about delaying getting that extra attack.

ruy343
2015-10-29, 05:54 PM
I find that many choose to go with fighter, paladin, rogue, and warlock, because their abilities are so powerful.

Fighter (action surge - players for some reason really, really love Nova rounds)
Paladin (again, for nova rounds)
Rogue (breaking dat action economy with cunning action, and gaining expertise/sneak attack)
Warlock (for eldritch blast)

The fact that eldritch blast's damage is based on character level and now warlock level is silly, in my opinion...

Daishain
2015-10-29, 06:02 PM
The two most popular in my experience have been fighter shortly followed by warlock. Literally everyone has use for an extra action and more staying power, and Warlock can increase the at will damage and spell slot staying power of other casters considerably.

EvanescentHero
2015-10-29, 06:14 PM
The fact that eldritch blast's damage is based on character level and now warlock level is silly, in my opinion...

That's all cantrips, not just eldritch blast.

bid
2015-10-29, 08:16 PM
That's all cantrips, not just eldritch blast.
If they were based on MC caster level, somewhat like slot were...

Tanarii
2015-10-29, 08:48 PM
Given that the classes most likely to bother with Eldritch/Agonizing Blast Warlock dips are bard, sorcerer and paladin, that's only going to tone down one of them.

Edit: my bad, you were replying to all cantrips.

Starsinger
2015-10-29, 09:33 PM

This would also effect High Elf's racial trait and anyone who isn't already a caster taking Magic Initiate.

bid
2015-10-29, 09:59 PM
This would also affect High Elf's racial trait and anyone who isn't already a caster taking Magic Initiate.
True.

OTOH I would expect mostly utility cantrips since it's unlikely your caster stat will be high.

Still, cantrips are weaker than bow because they don't get the stat mod added. That's what makes warlock dip so great. Clerics/Wizards need to wait until level 8-10 to get their mod.

DireSickFish
2015-10-29, 10:17 PM
Warlock and Paladin. They offer a lot for the first 2 levels. I get the idea of the Fighter dip, just haven't seen it at the table yet.

Naanomi
2015-10-29, 10:34 PM
For a wide variety of builds:
Rogue 1-2-3 (expertise, cunning action, assassination)
Fighter 2 (action surge)
Cleric 1 (armor/shield with caster level)

For specific classes:
Warlock 2-3 (agonizing blast, pact boon; for charisma casters)
Paladin 3 (for full casters wanting to melee)

Obviously other dips exist for more specific builds... Druid 1/Life Cleric 1 for goodberry madness; Knowledge Cleric 1 on a Bard for super-Sage; weird barbarian/rogue dips for grappling fighters...

T.G. Oskar
2015-10-29, 11:38 PM
In terms of builds, I've seen a lot of two level dips for Rogue (Cunning Action), Fighter (Action Surge, Second Wind, Fighting Style), and Warlock (Eldritch Blast and Agonizing Blast) seem to be pretty popular.

I agree with this, but with some explanation.

Fighter contains a lot of good stuff in its first two levels. While Second Wind is kinda low without many Fighter levels, the fact that you can heal a decent amount of HP as a bonus action in-between short rests is nice. The key aspect here is, of course, Action Surge for that 1/short rest extra action (but no extra movement or bonus action), but the addition of a Fighting Style if you lack it also does wonders. It also works very well as a starting class before diversifying. 3 nets you either maneuvers via Battlemaster or cantrips and some spell advancement via Eldritch Knight, which isn't bad for caster classes that aim for 9th level spells (also, should be popular with the upcoming Bladesinger Wizard archetype).

Rogue is superb for its Cunning Action, but don't diss out the extra damage from Sneak Attack. Most of the time, you deal only one hit, and getting advantage against the enemy's attack is pretty easy. Two levels of Rogue on, say, a Hunter Ranger geared for combat or a Bard (no matter which) allows for Hide shenanigans, or even Disengage shenanigans (move, attack, Disengage), while having that attack deal a slight nudge more damage (which, with Hunter Ranger or Bard having spells and sometimes features that boost damage, it starts to add up). At 3rd level, Assassin is awesome for a Hunter Ranger, while Arcane Trickster adds some more cantrips to your Bard, some of which can complement the Bard's spells anyways.

Warlock is chosen for one reason, as eastmabl mentioned: Eldritch Blast + Agonizing Blast for best cantrip-based damage. The free spell slots also work nice for Paladin builds, and skill-monkey builds will thank the Devil's Tongue incantation that lets them get proficient in Deception and Persuasion.

I don't agree with dipping Paladin, though - you're only there for the Smite (and maybe the Fighting Style, which is somewhat more limited than that of the Fighter), since even waiting for 3rd level and the Oaths won't do much. You need to be some sort of spellcaster to take advantage of the multiclass spell slot progression in order to do good nova damage anyways. Mingles well with Valor Bards, though, if only because they get Extra Attack, all kinds of proficiencies and enough spell slots to make Paladin worthwhile, plus Magical Secrets to nab the Smite-based spells, but other than that a Fighter dip is more productive in the end run.

Cleric, though...well, that depends. For skill-monkey builds, the Knowledge domain is very strong. The Arcane domain also seems to be a big winner. The rest...Life or War if you're aiming for armor proficiency, but no biggie otherwise. Still doesn't seem that popular of a dip to qualify, compared to Fighter/Rogue/Warlock.

Tanarii
2015-10-30, 12:05 AM
Dipping 3 EK/AT before going full caster is usually a terrible idea. You're delaying your full caster access to higher level spells and your caster class features by another level when you've already lost two, and all you're getting is 2 cantrips and 1-2 extra hps.

Paladins actually make decent Pally 6 then full caster 14 builds. Especially sorcerer or Warlock. Buts that's really a melee that eventually becomes blaster build. Not a dip.

djreynolds
2015-10-30, 05:23 AM
Dipping 3 EK/AT before going full caster is usually a terrible idea. You're delaying your full caster access to higher level spells and your caster class features by another level when you've already lost two, and all you're getting is 2 cantrips and 1-2 extra hps.

Paladins actually make decent Pally 6 then full caster 14 builds. Especially sorcerer or Warlock. Buts that's really a melee that eventually becomes blaster build. Not a dip.

I enjoyed my eldritch knight 5/ wizard 15. I also played EK12, AK6, wizard 2 (my version of an arcane archer). But he does suffer from lacking spells.

Battle Master for just 3 levels and 4 dice is like 4 free "bless spells" once a short rest when you use precision, con saves, heavy or medium armor, action surge. Great for archers using sharp shooter and paladins or warlocks with GWM.

Spacehamster
2015-10-30, 05:52 AM
Surprised that nobody mentioned hunter 3 for fighting style, hunters mark and the free hordebreaker attack and 1 more skill. :)

Firechanter
2015-10-30, 06:07 AM
I agree with the choir here - the most attractive dips seem to be:

- Fighter, particularly Champion 3 for builds that get a lot out of crits
- Rogue, particularly for Expertise (Athletics) to reliably Shove opponents
- Warlock 2 for Eldritch Blast

Dipping Cleric with the right domain is also the only way to pick up Heavy Armour without spending a feat if you didn't start out with it.

However, Paladin is not a "dip" class. You normally take at least 6 levels, and that is no longer a "dip".

djreynolds
2015-10-30, 06:20 AM
Surprised that nobody mentioned hunter 3 for fighting style, hunters mark and the free hordebreaker attack and 1 more skill. :)

Very good one. Barbarian is good dip for a rogue archer, even just a level, I like my rogue's to be foolish and not wise, 2 level of druid is okay if you're a caster getting beaten up and your about to die

Steampunkette
2015-10-30, 06:24 AM
If the game uses unearthed Arcana, the Revised Ranger is pretty popular.

Dalebert
2015-10-30, 07:16 AM
I agree with many folks saying Warlock, but for different reasons. I'm surprised no one's mentioning doing it for Devil's Sight, the only way to see through magical darkness in this edition despite lots of classes being able to cast Darkness, e.g. druids, paladins, sorcerers, warlocks, wizards, and shadow monks. And by strict RAW, Darkness has almost no effect on anything unless you can see through it, i.e. Adv and Dis cancel out so it's hard to justify using it at all if you don't have Devil's Sight.

Tanarii
2015-10-30, 10:18 AM
I enjoyed my eldritch knight 5/ wizard 15. I also played EK12, AK6, wizard 2 (my version of an arcane archer). But he does suffer from lacking spells.For sure, but I don't consider a level 6 'dip' for Extra Attack a dip really. :) But there's no point in going to EK 3, then full caster from then on. Either stop at 2. Or go to 5, possibly coming back for 6 for the ASI later. Warding Bond, 2 cantrips, and +2 hps aren't worth the spell access delay IMO.

djreynolds
2015-10-31, 02:07 AM
For sure, but I don't consider a level 6 'dip' for Extra Attack a dip really. :) But there's no point in going to EK 3, then full caster from then on. Either stop at 2. Or go to 5, possibly coming back for 6 for the ASI later. Warding Bond, 2 cantrips, and +2 hps aren't worth the spell access delay IMO.

Very true, with that. My thing was a build not really a dip. I like the other classes so much that its tough not to stay in them.

The whole conversation really depends on what level you are playing from and that can change if you want to play a different campaign. Fireball is a big deal when you get it, so isn't fly.

We had a timed mission trying to catch an escaping rogue and we just got a new level, and I said I have levitate, I can buy fly from the merchant later, I need melf's acid arrow, who needs to have the ability to fly around. Well at the end, the DM said sarcastically, I'm sure glad you did not fly as your new spell.

Mara
2015-10-31, 02:18 AM
I'm going to say that fighter wins out as the most common dip, not that dips are all that common.

Even wizards are tempted to dip 2 fighter after level 18.

Firechanter
2015-10-31, 02:27 AM
We have a player who starts every Caster character with a single level of Fighter, guess why.

djreynolds
2015-10-31, 02:33 AM
But mountain dwarf, getting half-plate later on sweet. No shield though.

How does your caster go around the shield? Does he just not have a weapon in hand? At early level? Grab war caster right away? Con saves and heavy armor are big.

I have 6th mountain dwarf abjurer, but no shield and I have to get it somewhere. He's half-plate AC15, but even casting "shield" isn't always enough. If I grab a shield from a multiclass, and do not have war caster yet, I can just not use a weapon? For now.

Mara
2015-10-31, 03:08 AM
We have a player who starts every Caster character with a single level of Fighter, guess why.

Heavy armor and con save prof and defensive style? If you don't like level 19 of your caster then you can get action surge.

Hawkstar
2015-10-31, 03:26 AM
Rogue is superb for its Cunning Action, but don't diss out the extra damage from Sneak Attack. Most of the time, you deal only one hit, and getting advantage against the enemy's attack is pretty easy. Two levels of Rogue on, say, a Hunter Ranger geared for combat or a Bard (no matter which) allows for Hide shenanigans, or even Disengage shenanigans (move, attack, Disengage), while having that attack deal a slight nudge more damage (which, with Hunter Ranger or Bard having spells and sometimes features that boost damage, it starts to add up). At 3rd level, Assassin is awesome for a Hunter Ranger, while Arcane Trickster adds some more cantrips to your Bard, some of which can complement the Bard's spells anyways.

Don't forget Expertise. Rogues also get Expertise. Awesome skill bonuses, and athletics' in-combat uses such as Shove and Grapple seem to be loved by all the munchkins and powergamers on these boards.

How does your caster go around the shield? Does he just not have a weapon in hand? At early level?
Shocking Grasp and Firebolt are a wizard's best friends.

Firechanter
2015-10-31, 04:26 AM
Heavy armor and con save prof and defensive style? If you don't like level 19 of your caster then you can get action surge.

Mostly for the Con Save, but yes, you win an inflatable monochrome washing machine at cost. :smallwink:

Tanarii
2015-10-31, 10:58 AM
With Arcane Domain I can see Cleric becoming popular as well.Wis based ranged attack might appeal to Monks, but they just got Sun Soul if they want that. I suppose it might also appeal to a Str/Wis Ranger who isn't very good at archery. Other than that, I can't see it.

Or were you thinking of something other than the free Wizard cantrips?

Tanarii
2015-10-31, 11:05 AM
How does your caster go around the shield? Does he just not have a weapon in hand? At early level? Grab war caster right away? Con saves and heavy armor are big.I bump into the Sheild problem a lot when imagining GISH type builds, even ones that just a dip. It's why I prefer Str based two-handed weapon GISH, or even for single classed EKs. Also for characters that mix ranged projectile attacks and melee combat. I also favor a component pouch over a focus for the same reason, except for Holy Symbols. That way you only need one free hand for both S and M components, and you don't have to keep drawing your focus out of wherever you 'sheath' it.

I also see a lot of players in AL conveniently forget they need a free hand for somatic components ... and a hand carrying a focus doesn't count. AL DMs tend to not catch it either.

Dalebert
2015-10-31, 12:44 PM
I also see a lot of players in AL conveniently forget they need a free hand for somatic components ... and a hand carrying a focus doesn't count. AL DMs tend to not catch it either.

It counts if you're using your focus in place of material components. If the spell has no material component or components that a focus can't substitute for, then yes, you need a free hand for the somatic components and/or to access the other material component. It specifically says under material components that it can be the same hand for material and somatic.

Tanarii
2015-10-31, 01:06 PM
Yeah you're right I got the way focus works in my head mixed up right now. I think I was confusing the inability to use a focus and weapon at the same time, when your other hand is using a shield. And warcaster not addressing material components.

Regardless, I still prefer Two-handed weapon GISH to sidestep the issue.

MaxWilson
2015-10-31, 01:25 PM
This would also effect High Elf's racial trait and anyone who isn't already a caster taking Magic Initiate.

Also, Spell Sniper.