PDA

View Full Version : Computer Healer rants! :D

MonkeySage
2015-10-29, 05:41 PM
I very occasionally get a chance to play PWI, I've a level 100 cleric.

Now, I love playing clerics in MMOs, they get a lot of cool stuff. But they're still expected to be the healers, and in PWI, that's a problem.

Many of the bosses have AOE, and heals tend to be short range with a few exceptions.

I remember one time, before I got my constant heal bubble, I would have half the party go one way, half go the other way, and all expecting me to keep them alive.

Healing is expensive, but I never got paid for my mana potions. Nor did anyone ever pay for a resurrection scroll for me. So while everyone else gets a free resurrection spell at my expense, if I get killed while trying to keep them alive, I have to respawn and come all the way back(sometimes that involves flying clear across the map, which takes forever). They'd of course prefer if I teleported, but never paid for my teleports.

Then there's another time: Tank takes for granted that I'm the only thing keeping him from dying, and the rogue(of course) decides to enter AOE range... gets himself killed. The Tank berates me for failing to keep the rogue alive, I refuse to bring the rogue back to life because it would mean I'd have to enter AOE to get to him.

I get kicked out of the party...(and I imagine, everyone died).

One more detail about resurrection in that game: If you are resurrected by a cleric or a scroll, you lose far less experience than if you respawn.

Mando Knight
2015-10-29, 07:49 PM
Rule 1 of MMOs: don't rely on pick-up-groups for anything: they don't understand anything past the basic idea of their role.

Raimun
2015-11-04, 06:20 PM
That's so wrong.

Everyone knows that in an ideal fantasy world it's optimal to do most of the healing between the battles. :smalltongue:

One of the reasons I quit WoW was that I found the optimal tactics to be so unorganic.

If people who have only played WoW saw tabletop-RPG tactics in action, the reactions would be most likely along the lines of:

"Wait? Is that really possible? That's insane! It'll never... it worked?"

Squark
2015-11-04, 06:31 PM
Healing is expensive, but I never got paid for my mana potions. Nor did anyone ever pay for a resurrection scroll for me. So while everyone else gets a free resurrection spell at my expense, if I get killed while trying to keep them alive, I have to respawn and come all the way back(sometimes that involves flying clear across the map, which takes forever). They'd of course prefer if I teleported, but never paid for my teleports.

Then there's another time: Tank takes for granted that I'm the only thing keeping him from dying, and the rogue(of course) decides to enter AOE range... gets himself killed. The Tank berates me for failing to keep the rogue alive, I refuse to bring the rogue back to life because it would mean I'd have to enter AOE to get to him.

I get kicked out of the party...(and I imagine, everyone died).

One more detail about resurrection in that game: If you are resurrected by a cleric or a scroll, you lose far less experience than if you respawn.

Bleugh! So glad TOR just used an energy system. I would have flipped out during the times I healed if I was actually spending (in-game) money to deal with people's idiocy.

My negative experiences as a healer in MMOs mostly relates to derpy DPS, although I do recall the occasional tank who'd ignore fight mechanics :smallfurious:

I did more tanking, though. Granted, that wasn't without frustrations (Especially since almost no PUG understood the game's threat mechanics)