PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Any Help with a Unc Rogue+Monk build

Ozimandius
2015-10-29, 09:24 PM
So I've been trying to tweak this character for a week or so now and not sure how it will play or if there are any rules problems and maybe I should just throw it out.
The plan is Half-Elf Monk (Flowing/Iron mountain) 2/UncRogue (counterfeit mage) X wielding an Elven Branched Spear and Maxxing out Dex and Wisdom and going for great AoO's and trips to maximize debuffs. The build goes something like:

tr1: Ancestral Arms: EBS
r1: Finesse
1: Combat Reflexes
r2: Weapon Focus: EBS, evasion
r3: Finesse 2: EBS 1.5x dex to damage
3: ???
m4: Unarmed Strike
m4: Improved Trip
m4: (Flowing Monk) Redirection (trip+sicken as immediate when someone attacks me) 2x/day
m5: (Iron Mountain) toughness, +1 natural armor bonus
m5: (Flowing Monk) Unbalancing Counter (AoO’s leave opponent flat footed ref Save dc = 10+1/2lvl+wis)
5 Vicious Stomp?
r6 Debilitating Strike, Signature Wand (longarm? Mage Armor?), uncanny dodge
7 Ki Throw or fury's fall (if gets 2x dex to trip?)
r8: Dex with wands,
r8: Talent - Resilency?

Probably need to go for 13 int or take a level of brawler so I can get greater trip instead of vicious stomp stuff, not always going to be in unarmed range. But the character is being made for a game with a 15 PB so I kind of needed every point I could get.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks. Hope I didn't violate any rules or formatting norms, Im pretty new here.

Geddy2112
2015-10-29, 10:46 PM
I would normally only say three levels of rogue for the dex to damage, but signature wand is absolutely incredible and worth the 4th level, along with the debilitate and uncanny dodge. I would have a wand of mage armor and longarm, but since you can change up your sig wand each day it is not a huge problem. I don't think you need 6 levels of rogue to get dex to UMD, since it is a class skill and even with a -1 or -2 you can eventually get it to high enough levels by skill ranks. Resilency can be your 4th level rogue talent or grab a bonus combat feat. After that rogue does not offer anything besides sneak attack and greater talents, better off going monk.

Greater trip is good but I don't think it is required. Get tripping strike and maybe improved critical to try and trip that way. Ki throw is okay as a bonus but you will probably be using your spear to trip most of the time.

A 15 point buy is tough, but you can totally dump strength even though it will suck for a few levels. I would probably go S7 D16 C13 I10 W16 C7 and put your +2 into dex. You could dump intelligence if you don't plan on having a lot of skill ranks, or make it 11 and bump it to 12 at level 4. As is, bump con to 14 at level 4 and you should be good for HP and saves.

Ozimandius
2015-10-30, 08:03 AM
Hmmm, What does going more monk really get me? The nice thing about going rogue is that opponents should be flat-footed a large majority of the time so I should get a good amount of sneaks.
I suppose if I was going to go something besides rogue going fighter (polearm master) might be good. Or Maybe Urban Barbarian to try to up my dex (and BAB) more? Arg so many options.

Geddy2112
2015-10-30, 09:56 AM
If you are just going for damage, then yes rogue is better because increasing your unarmed strike and amount of flurry strikes won't matter much cause you are using the spear. I suppose if you are just there for unbalancing counter and toughness from iron mountain then yeah, 2 levels of monk is good. The problem is you won't be able to wear armor meaning you should max wis. You could always say to hell with it and wear armor with a lowish wisdom. Not like you will be flurrying, or have fast movement.

Polearm fighter would get you into medium and heavy armor, better BAB, and some bonus feats. I could also see using phalanx soldier so you can 1 hand spear and shield. Maybe dip 2-3 levels here as well? More rogue just means more sneak attack, and even if you can make them flat footed a fair amount of enemies are immune to sneak attack.