PDA

View Full Version : Battle Royal : The Movie

SolkaTruesilver
2007-05-26, 02:01 AM
I just finished seeing it for the first one..

Some people said it was cheesy, gory, and the such..

I only have one word : disturbing...

PlatinumJester
2007-05-26, 02:15 AM
Battle Royale kicks arse. The manga is better and Battle Roysle 2 Requiem isn't very good (but is worth seeing just to see the kid with toilet paper as a weapon). Plus it has created some uber cool characters such as Kazuo Kiriyama and Shinji Mimura. It also helped inspire Quentin Tarentino's Kill Bill.

But yes it is kinda twisted.

Pyre
2007-05-26, 02:52 AM
It's great. :)

geek_2049
2007-05-26, 05:00 AM
I concur, awesome flick. I think I started a BR thread a while back but got no response. BR is tame compared to some stuff by Takashi Miike

Closet_Skeleton
2007-05-26, 05:17 AM
It also helped inspire Quentin Tarentino's Kill Bill.

Name me a film that didn't inspire Kill Bill.

Three weddings and a Funeral... Casablanca... It's a Wonderful life... anything that came out after it...

Well, you get my point anyway.

geek_2049
2007-05-26, 06:53 AM
Name me a film that didn't inspire Kill Bill.

Three weddings and a Funeral... Casablanca... It's a Wonderful life... anything that came out after it...

Well, you get my point anyway.

You forgot 7 Samurai.

SolkaTruesilver
2007-05-26, 08:05 AM
Battle Royale kicks arse. The manga is better and Battle Roysle 2 Requiem isn't very good (but is worth seeing just to see the kid with toilet paper as a weapon). Plus it has created some uber cool characters such as Kazuo Kiriyama and Shinji Mimura. It also helped inspire Quentin Tarentino's Kill Bill.

But yes it is kinda twisted.

Wait.. I think I remember who was Mimura, it was the loner - very bright - who helped others when he got close to them, but was after the girl he loved, only to be killed by her?

I felt so sad when HE died. He was my favorite...

And Kiriyama.. ? Ehh.. one of the two "foreign student", the one who joined for the fun, or the other?

SurlySeraph
2007-05-26, 02:22 PM
I concur, awesome flick. I think I started a BR thread a while back but got no response. BR is tame compared to some stuff by Takashi Miike

He made something that makes putting an entire class of 9th-graders on an island and watching them rape/ betray/ shoot/ strangle/ stab each other one by one until there is only one survivor look tame? WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH JAPANESE PEOPLE?!

Om
2007-05-26, 04:47 PM
Good film. There's not really much more to say about it.

SolkaTruesilver
2007-05-26, 05:22 PM
we could rate their individual death, in order of their happening, based on coolness, gore effect, and the such?

BrokenButterfly
2007-05-26, 06:07 PM
The novel is probably my favourite book, and I enjoy the film as well. I've only read one volume of the manga so far. I thought the manga was harsher than the film to be honest, since it kept closer to the novel, which is much more brutal. I enjoyed the second one as a war movie, but it certainly lacked the tension and creepy nature of the first Royale. I thought that the book was superior because almost everyone got their turn to shine, and that really wasn't feasible in the constraints of a running time.

Question: In which volume of the manga series is Chigusa covered? I'm a bit of a fanboy so I'd buy that alone...I liked most of the characters, but she has always been my favourite. And Chiaki Kuriyama was awesome in the film too...

geek_2049
2007-05-26, 06:51 PM
Check out the BR strategy test and learn which character you are.

http://www.okcupid.com/tests/take?testid=111025610836924334

I got Shinji Mimura.

29 killer instinct, 92 independence, 80 sociability, and 100 rationality

Shinji is an intelligent athlete with rebellious and freethinking tendencies catalyzed by his uncle who is a political activist. He joins up with his friends, Keita Iijima and Yutaka Seto, and the trio plan liberating everyone by blowing up the school where the administrators of the Program game are. Together they build a bomb and Shinji manages to hack into the government computer system. Their plan is ruined by Kiriyama who kills them, but is blinded in the explosion of the bomb.

BrokenButterfly
2007-05-26, 07:00 PM
Grr...I got Yukiko Kitano, hardly one of my favourite characters.

47 killer instinct, 50 independence, 100 sociability, and 41 rationality

What do your scores mean? - Your strategy
You are more intuitive than rational and not very independent. Your strenght is your sociability - you are good at working with people and might be able to form an alliance of some sort. The fact that you are no killer, however, reduces your chances of survival. Your best plan is to depend on others and try to come up with a plan together. Hopefully a bit more succesful one than that of Yukiko and Yumiko..
Chance of survival: 15%

I'm not really that stupid, and I think that claiming "I'm no killer" just because I wouldn't try and actively kill my friends is a bit harsh. I think that my survival chance should be a bit higher really, it seems quite stingy.

EDIT: I then redid the test, choosing the other answer for the quarter or so that I was really torn on before. I may have been a bit more honest this time, giving myself some degree of credit, and I got Mitsuko. Should I be worried or something?

JabberwockySupafly
2007-05-26, 07:34 PM
The book/manga/movie is an analogy for the way high school kids act to another. Forming cliques, lusting after each other, using each other, tearing each other to shreds (usually verbally), bullying, etc. It's just taking it to extremes. High school kids acting like high school kids but to a primal extreme. It's actually a brilliant idea and while some people may consider it bloody or disturbing, I think of it as an amazing piece of work. But then again, that's just my opinion.

Cheers
JS

Lemur
2007-05-26, 08:13 PM
He made something that makes putting an entire class of 9th-graders on an island and watching them rape/ betray/ shoot/ strangle/ stab each other one by one until there is only one survivor look tame? WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH JAPANESE PEOPLE?!

That question probably deserves a thread of its own :smallamused:

Anyway, I took the quiz thingy. I never read/saw Battle Royale, and I've only heard a few things about it, but here's what I got:

82 killer instinct, 71 independence, 32 sociability, and 47 rationality
Takako is an athletic girl who manages to get away with her unusual hairstyles and excessive jewellery at school because of her sporting abilities and good grades. During the Program Kazushi Niida approaches her and threatens to rape her, and finally shoots her with a crossbow, scarring her face. Furious, Takako kills him by stabbing him several times in the crotch and chest. After this Mitsuko Souma appears, fatally wounding Takako. Mitsuko believes her dead and leaves her to die next to her best friend and crush, Hiroki Sugimura, who conforts Takako.

Your high scores in killer insinct and independence mean that you are capable of making a plan in order to survive. The fact that you are intuitive rather than rational however suggests that you often act before you think, which can prove to be a dangerous quality in Battle Royale. You're somewhat a loner, and you don't need to depend on others who might betray you. All in all you're a dangerous opponent, but being able to work in a team could also be an advantage.
Chance of survival: 60%

Why is it whenever I take one of these internet quizzes about Japanese people, it pegs me as one of the girls, anyway? :smallconfused:

RoboticSheeple
2007-05-26, 09:55 PM
My Results:

88 killer instinct, 92 independence, 72 sociability, and 88 rationality

Shogo is a hardened fighter and the winner of a previous program. Due to his past experiences he knows what to do and is very organised. He is, or at least claims to be, on a mission to avenge his girlfriend, whom he was forced to kill in a previous program. He also seems to know something about the collars that others do not know.. He helps Shuya Nanahara and Noriko Nakagawa escape, but succumbs to his wounds and dies.

You are a adaptable person who probably will keep calm even in the Program. You are probably very determinent to win, and are capable of working both alone or in a group. You are rational rather than intuitive, and you think before you act. Just don't trust the wrong people and you have a good chance of surviving.
Chance of survival: 80%

Makes sense for me for a great many reasons I won't get into; let's just say the police didn't take my prints for the fun of it. :smallamused:
I'd win.

Nevrmore
2007-05-26, 09:58 PM
My Results:

Makes sense for me for a great many reasons I won't get into; let's just say the police didn't take my prints for the fun of it. :smallamused:
I'd win.
Really? That's why they took mine.

RoboticSheeple
2007-05-26, 10:02 PM

:smallfurious: Way to go with the racism here, I'm sure that 1941 would be proud.

Two people are not the population, you may want to change your statement to say "what is wrong with these people" not "Japanese people".

Hephaestus
2007-05-26, 10:23 PM
I agree with BrokenButterfly here and say the book is my favorite novel. It's also much more brutal and intense then the movie or even manga. It really gets into the character's heads and makes you think really really deeply about what you might do if you were in that situation. My favorite part in the book is when Mitsuko falls in love with the class Otaku, truly heartwarming to see that only a gullible geek could make her have a real emotion for once.

SolkaTruesilver
2007-05-27, 12:14 AM
:smallfurious: Way to go with the racism here, I'm sure that 1941 would be proud.

Two people are not the population, you may want to change your statement to say "what is wrong with these people" not "Japanese people".

You have to admit that Japanese culture can produce gorier, more violent, more psychopath and amoral movies than any occidental movie maker. They have the guts to smash barriers much farther than us.

On the other hands, if they really buy this kind of stuff.. a lot..

I'm sure there are about as much japanese BR fan than the rest of the world united.

Dihan
2007-05-27, 05:26 AM
I got Sakura Ogawa

17 killer instinct, 96 independence, 28 sociability, and 23 rationality

Sakura and her boyfriend, Kazuhiko Yamamoto, are said to be the sweetest couple of the class. Sakura is a headstrong girl who refuses to play the game - she even throws her supply pack at Kitano while bearing a disgusted face. Instead, she and Kazuhiko commit suicide together by jumping off a cliff.

You are more intuitive than rational, not very sociable and definitely not a killer. Your high score in independence means that you are capable of making plans and keeping a cool head, but you, just like Sakura, probably don't even want to win the game. If you decide to try and survive you might be able to defend yourself until the end, but even so, you're going to need a lot of luck.
Chance of survival: 30%

Closet_Skeleton
2007-05-27, 06:39 AM
You have to admit that Japanese culture can produce gorier, more violent, more psychopath and amoral movies than any occidental movie maker. They have the guts to smash barriers much farther than us.

I'm sure there are about as much japanese BR fan than the rest of the world united.

Well, on one side, you hear less about Japanese kids going postal.

Japanese kids tend to become serial killers while American kids prefer spree killings.

It's just a differant attitude to censorship, or at least what's acceptable entertainment for children. The American comics industry in the 50s was very similar to the how Manga is now with a variety of horror, romance and hyper violent/sexual comics but the Comics Code Authority killed it all in America while in Japan it just progressed. In America kids arent' allowed to see people get killed by realistic weapons, in Japan the family movie of the year had a blood drenched Dragon.

Matthew
2007-05-27, 07:04 AM
Very true. One of the worst things about censorship in the west is the depiction of violence without consequences. Action heroes aimed at children are the worst offenders, glorifying violence without referencing blood, death or loss.

SolkaTruesilver
2007-05-27, 07:54 AM
It's one of the thing I liked about Star Wars III. You actually see the horrors of war, by witnessing children being slaughtered. It had brought something horrific (but true) to something that entertained kids..

Laser gun, lightsabers, weee! Let's kill each other, it's fun!

Matthew
2007-05-27, 10:33 AM
Well, the original Star Wars trilogy was fairly heavily into the consequences of violence...

Om
2007-05-27, 10:39 AM
Well, the original Star Wars trilogy was fairly heavily into the consequences of violence...When cornered... shoot first? :smallwink:

BrokenButterfly
2007-05-27, 12:02 PM
I agree with BrokenButterfly here and say the book is my favorite novel. It's also much more brutal and intense then the movie or even manga. It really gets into the character's heads and makes you think really really deeply about what you might do if you were in that situation. My favorite part in the book is when Mitsuko falls in love with the class Otaku, truly heartwarming to see that only a gullible geek could make her have a real emotion for once.

I can't really think of too many parts of the book that were my favourite to be honest. I love the book, but the powerful emotion it can draw up in the best moments is a long way away from love for me. The moments that really stuck with me were the girls turning on each other after the poison incident at the lighthouse, and Mitsuko's brutal murder of Megumi near the beginning. Both very harsh, and stayed with me for some time. But I can say that of the majority of the book, my recollection of it is pretty clear, although I still haven't got my own copy yet.

Wizzardman
2007-05-27, 12:21 PM

Not to mention the popularity of taboo, unpopular, or just plain weird sexual practices in their manga and sexually-oriented comics.

Well, to be totally fair, Japan also has a lower crime rate than most of America--which is related to the amount of censorship present. Despite how much I dislike catharsis theory [the theory that media can provide a 'release' for emotional buildup, which is a mostly unsupported psychological theory], the culture of Japan seems to be living proof of its effectiveness. Regardless of how nasty or brutal Japanese media may get, and how intensely stressful Japanese culture can be on its students, the crime rate never goes up, and Japan remains relatively peaceful. Likewise, America has a vast amount of censorship in its media, as Closet_Skeleton said, and also has a much higher crime rate.

Of course, there are other factors in this as well. Japan happens to have a strongly conformist and community-centered culture, which tends to lower the crime rate [as criminals and their families are strongly looked down upon by all members of the community, and 'family shame' has an effect on how likely someone is to break the law]. It has also just broken free from the culture of Imperial Japan, where censorship was much more popular and citizens were required to serve in the military. Part of this massive influx of uncensored sex and violence relates to the sudden change from 'a lot of censorship' to 'almost no censorship' that occurred after the fall of the old Japanese government.

Closet_Skeleton
2007-05-27, 12:25 PM
Likewise, America has a vast amount of censorship in its media, as Closet_Skeleton said, and also has a much higher crime rate.

Except I didn't say America had a higher crime rate because I didn't know it was a fact.

Wizzardman
2007-05-27, 12:30 PM
Except I didn't say America had a higher crime rate because I didn't know it was a fact.

Meh. Source of my information=the 2000 US census.

Driderman
2007-05-27, 01:04 PM
Although not entirely on topic, this is might explain whats 'wrong' with the Japanese. Or at least, what sort of wacky things they do. If nothing else, it's a hilarious read.

Be warned though, it can get pretty foulmouthed...

http://www.somethingawful.com/d/hentai-game-reviews/index.php

Closet_Skeleton
2007-05-27, 01:30 PM
Although not entirely on topic, this is might explain whats 'wrong' with the Japanese. Or at least, what sort of wacky things they do. If nothing else, it's a hilarious read.

Be warned though, it can get pretty foulmouthed...

http://www.somethingawful.com/d/hentai-game-reviews/index.php

Yes, everyone in Japan is screwed up because they all play hentai games.

Driderman
2007-05-27, 02:21 PM
Yes, everyone in Japan is screwed up because they all play hentai games.

Why yes, yes they are....

:smallamused:

Actually, I was just looking for an excuse to post that hilarious link :smallbiggrin:

Hoggy
2007-05-27, 02:26 PM
Not seen the film or read the novel, but I really want to. From what I've heard/read, they sound/seem pretty awesome. Not overly interested in manga though, not my kinda thang.

After doing the test, I got:

Takako Chigusa

76 killer instinct, 92 independence, 48 sociability, and 23 rationality
Takako is an athletic girl who manages to get away with her unusual hairstyles and excessive jewellery at school because of her sporting abilities and good grades. During the Program Kazushi Niida approaches her and threatens to rape her, and finally shoots her with a crossbow, scarring her face. Furious, Takako kills him by stabbing him several times in the crotch and chest. After this Mitsuko Souma appears, fatally wounding Takako. Mitsuko believes her dead and leaves her to die next to her best friend and crush, Hiroki Sugimura, who conforts Takako.

Your high scores in killer insinct and independence mean that you are capable of making a plan in order to survive. The fact that you are intuitive rather than rational however suggests that you often act before you think, which can prove to be a dangerous quality in Battle Royale. You're somewhat a loner, and you don't need to depend on others who might betray you. All in all you're a dangerous opponent, but being able to work in a team could also be an advantage.
Chance of survival: 60%

Your complete opposite is Yukie Utsumi. You are similar to Kazuo Kiriyama and Mitsuko Souma.

Viscount Einstrauss
2007-05-27, 02:40 PM
That quiz gave me Shuya? What?! How'd I get that nancy boy?

As for violent media and how it pertains to America and Japan- US media has been getting more and more violent and sexual recently. Japan's is among the most violent and sexual in the world- and they're pretty low on the murder totem pole (http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cri_mur_percap-crime-murders-per-capita). The US is actually not that high either, but it's way higher than Japan. We're getting lower each year, too. Since the late 80's - early 90's, we've been getting less and less violent with every passing year (http://www.disastercenter.com/crime/uscrime.htm). Now, anyone remember what was on television back then?

Care Bears ruin America.

Jack_Banzai
2007-05-27, 02:46 PM
The movie was an adequate (not exceptional) adaptation of the book, in my opinion, and I haven't seen the anime nor read the manga.

As for the book, here is my 1up review. http://www.1up.com/do/blogEntry?bId=6186683&publicUserId=5656389

Gygaxphobia
2007-05-27, 03:11 PM
Lord of the Flies wasn't Japanese.
It's completely illogical to say that Japanese are crazier than your culture, based on one film.

Especially when that film is based on a British book.

SurlySeraph
2007-05-27, 04:19 PM
Sorry to act racist, it's just that Japanese culture confuses the hell out of me. Pornography is completely mainstream, extremely violent movies, TV shows, and comics in which the protagonists are usually at least as evil as the antagonists are popular, and yet they're the most civilized, polite, calm, peaceful people in the world. At least in the United States, the crime rate and how much people think crimes are acceptable are linked; the correlation between watching the show 24 and believing torture should be legal is an example. Perhaps "What the hell is right with Japanese people," considering that they don't seem to be affected by the craziness of their pop culture at all, would have been a better question.

Closet_Skeleton
2007-05-27, 04:35 PM
Lord of the Flies wasn't Japanese.
It's completely illogical to say that Japanese are crazier than your culture, based on one film.

Especially when that film is based on a British book.

This film isn't based on Lord of the Flies, it's based on a Japanese book which may have but need not be inspired by Lord of the Flies.

There's little similarity in the plots, though both try to show the worst side of children.

Sorry to act racist, it's just that Japanese culture confuses the hell out of me. Pornography is completely mainstream, extremely violent movies, TV shows, and comics in which the protagonists are usually at least as evil as the antagonists are popular, and yet they're the most civilized, polite, calm, peaceful people in the world.

Death Note has an evil protagonist. Most other stuff with evil protagonists isn't mainstream.

Pornography is pretty mainstream everywhere. How many shops can you think of that sell magazines but don't sell porn mags? Most of the porn comics are self-published and only sold at Conventions and specialist shops.

Their movies aren't that violent, their cartoons are a lot more violent than american ones but America has violant movies aplenty.

Civilised? They live in cities. I'm not sure how you measure civlisiation.
Polite? Politeness is a big part of the Japanese language. They still have thugs and gangs who are less likely to be polite
Calm? All the Japanese tourists I see are incredibly excitable. Then again, those are just the ones that draw my attention.
Peaceful? They don't have an army, how are they going to go to war. Their neutrality is pretty much forced by America. Germany hasn't gone to war for almost the exact same ammount of time as Japan.

Japanese culture is confusing because you only see the stuff that people export. Japan has differant ideas of what is acceptable for kids to see and a highly mainstream comics industry. If you actually lived there you wouldn't find it that differant.

It's the gameshows that really scare me about Japan.

Cubey
2007-05-27, 04:39 PM
At least in the United States, the crime rate and how much people think crimes are acceptable are linked; the correlation between watching the show 24 and believing torture should be legal is an example.
Off-topic:
Huh? So you believe people who watch violent TV shows are prone to believe that violence they have watched is acceptable?

Are you serious? It's like saying some people murder because they were playing video games! And we all know how much of a false cliche that statement is.

Watching violent/erotic media will twist you only if you're a very small child, or so easy to influence that it's bordering on a mental disease. It is true that some murderers etc watch violent TV/play violent videogames/read manga, but their criminal actions are not a result of the media - they were twisted from the start.

Opening a can of worms here, and going very offtopic. I'll just take the test and see who I'll get.

41 killer instinct, 78 independence, 44 sociability, and 35 rationality
Sakura and her boyfriend, Kazuhiko Yamamoto, are said to be the sweetest couple of the class. Sakura is a headstrong girl who refuses to play the game - she even throws her supply pack at Kitano while bearing a disgusted face. Instead, she and Kazuhiko commit suicide together by jumping off a cliff.

You are more intuitive than rational, not very sociable and definitely not a killer. Your high score in independence means that you are capable of making plans and keeping a cool head, but you, just like Sakura, probably don't even want to win the game. If you decide to try and survive you might be able to defend yourself until the end, but even so, you're going to need a lot of luck.
Chance of survival: 30%

geek_2049
2007-05-28, 05:28 AM
According to economist and author of Freakonomics Stephen Levitt, abortion is the cause for the spike in decreased violent crime in the US. Here is a link: http://www.slate.com/id/33569/entry/33571/

That quiz gave me Shuya? What?! How'd I get that nancy boy?

As for violent media and how it pertains to America and Japan- US media has been getting more and more violent and sexual recently. Japan's is among the most violent and sexual in the world- and they're pretty low on the murder totem pole (http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cri_mur_percap-crime-murders-per-capita). The US is actually not that high either, but it's way higher than Japan. We're getting lower each year, too. Since the late 80's - early 90's, we've been getting less and less violent with every passing year (http://www.disastercenter.com/crime/uscrime.htm). Now, anyone remember what was on television back then?

Care Bears ruin America.

Matthew
2007-05-28, 07:03 AM
Peaceful? They don't have an army, how are they going to go to war. Their neutrality is pretty much forced by America. Germany hasn't gone to war for almost the exact same ammount of time as Japan.
El wrongo! (as someone once said). The Japanese do have an Army, they're just not allowed to deploy abroad (usually), though recently they passed a law to be able to deploy as Auxillaries to the US in the Middle East... there was virtually a riot in Parliament when that was passed, but it was passed.

Japanese culture is confusing because you only see the stuff that people export. Japan has differant ideas of what is acceptable for kids to see and a highly mainstream comics industry. If you actually lived there you wouldn't find it that differant.

Very true. Exported culture is very different to actual culture. Just look at the Torist Adverts we export from England. Businessmen in London do not wear Bowler Hats (nobody does, except the odd non conformist), you're thinking of Mary Poppins! Japan is different, but it's similarities far outweigh its differences.

Closet_Skeleton
2007-05-28, 01:39 PM
El wrongo! (as someone once said). The Japanese do have an Army, they're just not allowed to deploy abroad (usually), though recently they passed a law to be able to deploy as Auxillaries to the US in the Middle East... there was virtually a riot in Parliament when that was passed, but it was passed.

They have a Self-Defence force. I was being pedantic, not wrong.

Matthew
2007-05-28, 08:03 PM
Heh, it's a Self Defence Force that is an Army, but yes you were being pedantic, as was I.

Lemur
2007-05-28, 10:55 PM
I'd just like to say, that if there was nothing wrong (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-m0jwdmnxA) with (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=na1d70OnHlc) Japan (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1TeT9SYI7A&mode=related&search=), I'd be seriously short on entertainment. :smallamused: