PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Summoner in 5e, Without being a Druid or Wizard

Princess
2015-10-29, 11:23 PM
Now, obviously, 5e isn't the best RPG around for being a magical minion summoner. But, it is a very good system, and there are a few summoning options in it. So, given only official D&D material, what are the best ways to make a spellcasting character with some sort of decent summoning/minion abilities aside from the Druid or Wizard?

First off, it seems that by default only Wizards get Animate Dead, and a number of Conjure spells are unique to Druids. It seems that Great Old One Warlocks get a number of mind control options that provide a temporary method for acquiring toadies, and Lore Bard could grab Conjure Animals and Animate Dead, but is there anything I'm missing? I also welcome ideas from any other sources.

Ideally, I'm after a fairly flexible caster, with the only requirement being "some sort of useful minion." Obviously, a Wizard with the right specialization or any Druid could nail this, but I'm curious what other means of commanding minions I've missed.

Mara
2015-10-29, 11:26 PM
Gold.

Use it to buy soldiers. They are useful this edition.

Tanarii
2015-10-29, 11:45 PM
Bards can poach any spell they want. They also get Animate Objects, Dominate Person, Planar Binding, and Dominate Monster.

Clerics get Animate Dead, Planar Binding, Create Undead, Planar Ally, Conjure Celestial, and Gate. Nature gets Dominate Beast. Trickery gets Dominate Person.

Rangers get Conjure Animals and Conjure Woodland Beings.

Sorcerers get Dominate Beast/Person/Monster and Gate.

Warlocks get Arcanum for Create Undead, Conjure Fey, Dominate Monster. Archfey & Great Old One both get Dominate Beast/Person.

So your best bets are Bard (poaching spells) or Cleric (Undead mostly).

Edit (for completeness and because I was curious):
Druids get Conjure Animals, Conjure Minor Elementals, Conjure Woodland Beings, Conjure Elemental, Conjure Fey and Dominate Beasts.

Wizards get Animate Dead, Conjure Minor Elementals, Animate Objects, Conjure Elementals, Dominate Person, Planar Binding, Create Undead, Simulacrum, Dominate Monster, and Gate.

JoeJ
2015-10-29, 11:50 PM
You don't need to use a spell or gold. Go bard, max out Charisma, and pick Deception and Persuasion for your expertise. Then start your own religious cult, and have your followers pay you for the privilege of doing whatever you ask.

Tanarii
2015-10-30, 12:00 AM
Btw if you want to be able to know/prepare all six conjure spells, Bard is the only way. Conjure celestial is Cleric only.

Princess
2015-10-30, 01:38 AM
Btw if you want to be able to know/prepare all six conjure spells, Bard is the only way. Conjure celestial is Cleric only.

But is there any way other than the 2 spells of choice from Lore Bard? Because that means you'd still not get most of them.

And actually the best way to get all the Conjure spells is Wish, because it can be any of them ;) But more modest solutions are always preferable to waiting until level 17.

@Mara - anyone can pay people to do stuff. I was looking for specific character ideas. ;)

@Tanarii - Thanks for the breakdown.

So it looks like the solid option for being able to do this by level 6 are Bard, Cleric, Druid, and Wizard, with various other options becoming more relevant later. Unless I'm missing something.

Tanarii
2015-10-30, 10:03 AM
All bards get 6 poached spells of choice with the Magical Secrets ability starting with two at level ten. Lore Bards just get two *extra* ones at level six with Additional Magical Secrets.

That means a Lore Bard can end up with all six Conjure spells, Animate Dead, Create Undead, and from their own list Animate Objects. Dominate Person and Dominate Monster. If they want.

TBH I'm not sure there's a point to having all those spells known/prepared at the same time. ;)