PDA

View Full Version : Lightsaber Build

Droopy McCool
2015-10-30, 01:05 AM
Hey there fellow playgrounders! I know this has been done before, but not to the degree I would have expected, given the wealth of weapon enhancements in 3.5. So I, as a labor of love really, pored through tons of source material, and came up with this (each enhancement will be explained with a reason for choosing it):

Adamantine +1 Hideaway Psychokinetic (Burst) Sundering Deflecting Psychic Longsword

Adamantine (+3000gp; DMG 283) & Sundering (+1; MiC 44) - Ignore hardness<20, +4 to sunder (as if you had the Imp. Sunder feat) +1d6 when sundering. Lightsabers should be able to cut through almost anything, and these two properties emphasize the necessity of strength behind the swing.

Hideaway (+2000gp; MiC 36) - This here allows your weapon to be folded up into a bundle two size categories smaller than you (i.e. medium character --> tiny bundle-o'-sword) as a swift action. Flavor as blade retraction and there you go!

Psychokinetic (+1; XPH 166) - Standard action activation for +1d4 Force damage. Better than your standard Flaming, Shocking and Frost enhancements, especially since incorporeal creatures are affected by it. Seems like a good tradeoff for one smaller damage die. Basically just never deactivate it and let Hideaway "turn it off". Oh yeah, the burst quality (+1 synergy) is really just there if you've got cash to burn, because +1d6 on a 19-20 crit isn't fantastic.

Deflecting (+1; CW 134) - This is really an atrocious enhancement for anyone without a high Dex or reflex save. Once per round, deflect a ranged weapon's attack with a DC20 Ref save! Absolutely terrible, but for flavor's sake, we'll throw it in.

Psychic (+35000gp; XPH 166) - This is probably my favorite on the list, because the bonus to-hit scales with your level (depending on PP). It might be necessary to add that I think psionics is a good way to emulate Jedi powers, but that's a discussion for another time. Having 130PP left for a +5 bonus may not seem worth it, but compared to buying a +5 weapon AND everything listed, it may as well be free. Really then, if you're using a psionic character, grab it and go to town.

In case you were wondering, and to spare you from having to get out the calculator, total cost goes (+4)+3000+2000+35000 = 72000gp w/o the burst quality, 90000gp with it.

That about wraps that up! If anyone has anything to add or feels something here should be replaced/dropped, please share. If you think this whole post is garbage, post your own idea, and don't say 'Wand of Flame Blade' or 'Brilliant Energy'. Thanks for reading!

Tohsaka Rin
2015-10-30, 01:35 AM
I suggest adding a weapon crystal of Return, or Demolition.

Depending on if you wanna pull your weapon back with your mind, or be able to deal extra damage/sneak attack/crit constructs (droids).

Uhtred
2015-10-30, 04:14 AM
The Gloryborn template from DMGII would also make it look super-flashy and illogical to use in combat (much as a laser sword would) while not adding to the enhancement bonus, just +600gp to the item price. Plus it gives you +1 damage on a charge attack and the book says wielders of Gloryborn weapons feel incredible confidence, which speaks to the overwhelming sense of superiority that saber-jockeys always seem to exhibit.

SangoProduction
2015-10-30, 04:24 AM
The Gloryborn template from DMGII would also make it look super-flashy and illogical to use in combat (much as a laser sword would) while not adding to the enhancement bonus, just +600gp to the item price. Plus it gives you +1 damage on a charge attack and the book says wielders of Gloryborn weapons feel incredible confidence, which speaks to the overwhelming sense of superiority that saber-jockeys always seem to exhibit.

It ignores armor, but it can't cut through doors.

That last second edit, just in time to get the quote to catch the edit, but before I got to read it.

Gün
2015-10-30, 04:35 AM
My favourite way of emulating lightsaber is using Moon Blade spell from Spell Compendium and remove damage limit via Reserves of Strength feat from Dragonlance Campaign Setting. Never found a game to do it though :(

RolandDeschain
2015-10-30, 08:27 AM
I did a little work on this once, many years ago and my notes are certainly gone by now. I believe the chassis I used was the Decastave spell from Unapproachable East.

Droopy McCool
2015-10-30, 08:50 AM
I suggest adding a weapon crystal of Return, or Demolition.

Depending on if you wanna pull your weapon back with your mind, or be able to deal extra damage/sneak attack/crit constructs (droids).

Regarding Return, while this does emulate Jedi's ability to do this, I feel like that is something the wielder is able to do, not an inherent property of the weapon. The power 'Retrieve' for instance.
Crystal of Demolition actually works pretty well with this. Probably something good to add (not going to edit the first post, just acknowledge the ideas) and I'll probably use that. Thanks!

One thing I actually forgot to mention originally is that the weapon's glow can either be from that 30% chance all magic weapons have upon creation, but if the die ain't your friend, a Least Crystal of Illumination will do the job for only 100gp.

Uhtred
2015-10-30, 11:50 AM
It ignores armor, but it can't cut through doors.

That last second edit, just in time to get the quote to catch the edit, but before I got to read it.

Yeah, I saw after I posted that Brilliance need not apply, but fortunately had the Gloryborn enchantment in my head already.

Doughnut Master
2015-10-30, 03:12 PM
Flame Blade is another interesting spell for this. I've always been intrigued by the line, "you wield this bladelike beam as if it were a scimitar," which indicates some interesting interactions with the Dervish. However, the rules here are contested. Personally, as a DM, I'd allow it because 1) Watering down the Druid makes it weaker anyway, and 2) It's rad.

HolyDraconus
2015-10-30, 04:27 PM
Man...incarnum blade get no love

Droopy McCool
2015-10-30, 06:07 PM
Not that Flame Blade is bad, it just doesn't have the 'cuts through most anything' bit like lightsabers should. Other than that, it is a good way to emulate a lightsaber, but is also why I've excluded it (not from in-game use, just as a lightsaber).

Brilliant energy, however, is flavored as a lightsaber while acting nothing like one. Lack of sundering action, inability to affect nonliving (i.e. undead, constructs, armor) things, and worst of all costs a +4 bonus! Your just paying 50000gp minimum to lack fundamental lightsaber qualities. That's why I've specified "no brilliant energy".