PDA

View Full Version : Greater Metamorphosis = No Psionic Feats?

Rubik
2015-10-30, 04:38 AM
Greater Metamorphosis (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/metamorphosisGreater.htm)
You gain all extraordinary and supernatural abilities (both special attacks and special qualities) of the assumed form, but you lose your own supernatural abilities

Psionic Feats (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/psionicFeats.htm)
Psionic feats are available only to characters and creatures with the ability to manifest powers. (In other words, they either have a power point reserve or have psi-like abilities.)

Because psionic feats are supernatural abilities—a departure from the general rule that feats do not grant supernatural abilities—they cannot be disrupted in combat (as powers can be) and generally do not provoke attacks of opportunity (except as noted in their descriptions). Supernatural abilities are not subject to power resistance and cannot be dispelled; however, they do not function in areas where psionics is suppressed, such as a null psionics field. Leaving such an area immediately allows psionic feats to be used.

What does that mean? Well, if you manifest Greater Metamorphosis, you can say goodbye to your psicrystal, for one.

This makes me sad, especially since you get to pay for the privilege by spending a bunch of XP.

Zanos
2015-10-30, 04:39 AM
Hmm, would that also mean you gain all psionic feats the assumed form possesses?

Rubik
2015-10-31, 03:14 AM
Hmm, would that also mean you gain all psionic feats the assumed form possesses?Probably. But only if the base creature you're assuming actually has psionic feats. There aren't many of those out there.

It's also a reason NOT to take Supernatural Transformation (Psionics).

I haven't been this disappointed since I learned that Polymorph won't let you assume a form more than one size category away from your natural one.

Jack_Simth
2015-10-31, 03:31 AM
Probably. But only if the base creature you're assuming actually has psionic feats. There aren't many of those out there.

I haven't been this disappointed since I learned that Polymorph won't let you assume a form more than one size category away from your natural one.

Note that this is largely only relevant for a high-level Egoist, as the power in question is a 9th level discipline power (the regular Metamorphosis does not have that clause), and you're not getting that on your known list without either access to a different 9th level discipline power (Psychic Chirurgery, Telepath-9), selecting that discipline, or going Epic and taking a feat for it; the normal Expanded Knowledge feat won't cut it (Although UPD and a powerstone might).

Rubik
2015-10-31, 03:39 AM
Note that this is largely only relevant for a high-level Egoist, as the power in question is a 9th level discipline power (the regular Metamorphosis does not have that clause), and you're not getting that on your known list without either access to a different 9th level discipline power (Psychic Chirurgery, Telepath-9), selecting that discipline, or going Epic and taking a feat for it; the normal Expanded Knowledge feat won't cut it (Although UPD and a powerstone might).You could always use Soul Crystal to get around some of that.

Also, Thieving Mindlink, if you can figure out how it works.

Snowbluff
2015-10-31, 04:58 AM

I was going to point this out. Psionics literally don't exist, since they are all just mimicking psionics as PLAs... [Null] Like Abilities. Ergo, I'm not surprised your feats combust when you use Metamorphosis. I think you lose a bunch of other feats, too.