PDA

View Full Version : Roguelite with this specific gameplay premise

Fri
2015-10-30, 06:08 AM
Hey guys.

One of my favourite type of game is this.

A game where you're supposed to play, most likely die yet another stupid death shortly, but if you're lucky you still can win it.

Basically it's supposed to be played in short increments, you can easily die, but dying isn't frustrating because you can easily start again and the goal isn't actually that far ahead.

So you play and play and play again, and after a while you realized you've just spent a whole day playing games in short 30 minutes increments at most.

But you still can win! And then you win. But you'd like to play again, because there's another goal, another class, another challenge, etc

And should not be action game.

Any recommendation for game close like this?

The example games I currently have right now are:

- One Way Heroics. One of my favourite and most-played game.

- Faster Than Light. See above.

- Crypt of the Necrodancer. Not played as much because I suck at rhytm.

Any other recommendation?

Mind that this discount:

- Usual Roguelikes. Because the end is usually far, and dying at the last leg is frustrating for me.
- Platformers in the line of super meat boy. It's close, dying isn't frustrating since you instantly restart, and the individual stages are short, but as I said, I'm not looking for action games.

Cespenar
2015-10-30, 09:23 AM
One FTL run isn't really 30 minutes though.

Anyway, I'd venture:

DoomRL. Not really oneshot-long, but pretty short as roguelikes go.
Invisible Inc. Stealth roguelike. Only five(?) missions long. Pretty good game.
Darkest Dungeon. Usually a wipe doesn't mean an instant game-over, because you can recruit more. More like X-COM in that sense. Still, roguelite.
Renowned Explorers: International Society. Short and sweet. One run is still not 30 minutes, but pretty manageable. Lots of replay value, plus unique mechanics.

Winthur
2015-10-30, 12:08 PM
A game where you're supposed to play, most likely die yet another stupid death shortly, but if you're lucky you still can win it.

Nethack on Wizard mode. :smalltongue:

JeminiZero
2015-10-30, 10:59 PM
I'm not a big rogue-like player. The only thing that comes to mind is Weird Worlds: Return to infinite space. Picked it up really cheap in a game bundle and it was good for a couple of hours.

Vitruviansquid
2015-10-30, 11:15 PM
Maybe Skyshine's Bedlam? You can look it up on Steam.

It's different from the other game called "Bedlam"

edit: You might also check out "Renowned Explorers: International Society."

Tentreto
2015-10-31, 01:01 PM
Renowned explorers is probably the best fully turn based roguelike I've seen, so that is probably the best.
Aside from that, Sword of the stars: the pit is also pretty good, and turn based, but does have a long way to go each run.