PDA

View Full Version : Homebrew Campaign Idea.

Elite Hatter
2015-10-30, 10:36 AM
Hey guys, like the title says I'm looking to make a campaign around the 4 horsemen being the bad guys.

My players are level 5 and I want it to go to 20. I was thinking a mini bad guy serving them, or maybe 1 for each.

Any and all ideas are welcome. ^.^

Dizlag
2015-10-30, 11:05 AM
My first thought is to have the characters take out one horseman at a time. Then again, they are the Four Horsemen! They could be gods or something.

So, since the Four Horsemen are traditionally named War, Famine, Pestilence, and Death. Maybe have cults or evil organizations (would that be the same??) for each one the players need to take down. A Famine Cult trying to destroy the food sources throughout the lands led by an evil Druid. A Pestilence Cult trying to spread disease led by an evil Warlock serving the Old Ancient One. A lich leading a Death cult, think Zombie Apocalypse. And an evil warlord burning the countryside with his war-machine.

Just a thought!

D

Elite Hatter
2015-10-30, 11:18 AM
I was going to do on at a time. They are all on horses that are cr 15 and themselves cr 20. But I do like the cult idea.

Shining Wrath
2015-10-30, 12:37 PM
I second the idea of the cults. The cult leaders are your CR 10 "yes you are making progress" bosses.

Each Horseman has an opposing Element; e.g., Water Opposes Death, Earth Opposes Famine, Air Opposes War, Fire Opposes Pestilence. Mysterious four element monks specializing in each of the above appear to supply hints, give rewards, and otherwise keep the players on track.

Dizlag
2015-10-30, 12:38 PM
Hmmmm, well since you're wanting this to span level 5 - 20. Maybe as the characters take down the cults (which levels them up to 20), the Horsemen start to gather. Once the last of the cults are defeated (PCs reach 20th level), maybe an ultimate battle against all Four Horsemen will be the campaign ender. Ending it either the Four Horsemen being destroyed or a TPK (Total Party Kill). =)

D

Lolzyking
2015-10-30, 12:46 PM
I agree with cults, however I'd also make sure that the party doesn't get the full picture of the cults, or that they are fully connected until later

also I'd save all 4 horseman for a final level 20 confrontation.

something like this could work

the party first tracks down and stops the famine cult that has been raiding the kingdoms food, then after some minor adventuring, hears word of a cult attempting to spread disease, and rightly goes to stop them.

at this point they might have seen some horse insignias and think its some horse cult or something. at this point have them adventure awhile, kill a dragon maybe. Once you feel they are strong enough have the kingdom besieged by the death cults zombie hordes.

Once they've fought the death cult back to their lair, and slain the lich leader, the neighboring kingdom declares war, then you go through a minor war with the other kingdom, your party becoming generals, once they've won the war, they find their enemy was lead on by a cults magic influencing their leader, at this point your pc's should know something is up with cults.

when they fight there way through the final cult, note that some members are infact dressed in the garb of the other cults, after slaying the final cult leader and apocalptic scream of rage is heard, giving the party warning in 1 months time the four horsemen will hunt them down.

Elite Hatter
2015-10-30, 01:26 PM
A final battle with 4 cr 20 monsters against a party of 4 seems..... beyond deadly. I Like the breadcrumb idea with the cults. That has plenty of exploration, and RP potential as well as plenty of time to level.

About the cults leader's....

I kind of want to have a "Leader" monster, like a mini boss I geuss of each of the cults, slowly scaling up to 20, starting at around level 8 -10.

You guys have been awesome, thank you very much.

Lolzyking
2015-10-30, 01:43 PM
the Idea with giving them a month before the horseman arrive and fight them is give them a chance to

a) use divination and attempt to fight 2 horsemen 1 on 1 before the other two arrive ( since the horseman are usually depicted converging on one point from all corners of the globe)

b) prepare an elaborate battle on their terms

c) run like bitches if they are so inclined.

Elite Hatter
2015-10-30, 01:57 PM
My group almost never runs.... they swung on a Death Knight while they were only level 8......

But they may be able to plan something or even track down one or 2 of the horseman.

Inevitability
2015-10-31, 09:05 AM
Maybe let them gain access to a ritual that can weaken the horsemen to the level that they are only, CR 15-16? (adventure-path style)

An interesting twist would be for a horseman's essence to enter the PC who killed it. This would provide the PC with new powers appropriate to the horseman it slew and perhaps some mid-combat healing, but would forbid it from killing any of the other horsemen.

Elite Hatter
2015-10-31, 12:08 PM
I'm having trouble getting a starting point made. Like what platform should I use to get them started kinda thing. I don't want to throw them into it knowing they're going to be fighting the horsemen and their forces. I have the cults named and a rough draft of each ones goals as per the horseman they serve. The cults are Glory, for Conquest. Distress, for Famine. Ruin, for War. And Despair for Death.

I have also been toying with the idea of a hierarchy for the horseman. From weakest to strongest: Conquest, Famine, War, and Death.

Shining Wrath
2015-10-31, 12:25 PM
I'm having trouble getting a starting point made. Like what platform should I use to get them started kinda thing. I don't want to throw them into it knowing they're going to be fighting the horsemen and their forces. I have the cults named and a rough draft of each ones goals as per the horseman they serve. The cults are Glory, for Conquest. Distress, for Famine. Ruin, for War. And Despair for Death.

I have also been toying with the idea of a hierarchy for the horseman. From weakest to strongest: Conquest, Famine, War, and Death.

Given the idea for your campaign, I don't think this violates site rules re: religion.

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him. And power was given unto them over the fourth part of the earth, to kill with sword, and with hunger, and with death, and with the beasts of the earth.

Looks to me like Asmodeus is Death's bi+ch, for starters. It also supports the idea that Death is the final obstacle.

To get them started, someone tries to recruit them to join the Glory cult - and it is pitched in a way that might appeal to a bunch of people who spend their lives pitting everything they have against mighty foes. "You deserve credit for your mighty deeds - and we honor that".

Elite Hatter
2015-10-31, 01:02 PM
Given the idea for your campaign, I don't think this violates site rules re: religion.

I am not trying to get religious about this. I'm well aware of the origins for the Horsemen, but I actually got the idea from r/monsteraday. I Am Unfamiliar with site rules. Can I post the link for the template I'm using for Them?

Shining Wrath
2015-10-31, 01:55 PM
I am not trying to get religious about this. I'm well aware of the origins for the Horsemen, but I actually got the idea from r/monsteraday. I Am Unfamiliar with site rules. Can I post the link for the template I'm using for Them?

Is it copyrighted material? If so, don't post it.

If it's someone's shared information, go ahead.

Elite Hatter
2015-10-31, 02:12 PM
http://imgur.com/gallery/UtvZF/new

I didn't see any sign that it is copy righted. Artist credit is in the first photo.