PDA

View Full Version : Sand Shaper Spell Replacement

ZhanStrider
2015-10-30, 11:51 AM
MY DM has a world with no summoning/no teleport stuff in it. He's cool with the Sand Shaper Class, but I have to replace "Summon Desert Ally 1-9" AND "Awaken Sand" out for other spells.

What would your suggestions be for the replacements?

Flickerdart
2015-10-30, 11:54 AM
See if you can get refluffed versions of shadow conjuration and shadow evocation that use sand instead of shadows.

ZamielVanWeber
2015-10-30, 12:06 PM
Awaken Sand could be replaced by chocking sands. It is still a druid spell and is useful as an offensive spell. Flesh to Salt is a better choice, although doesn't quite fit in with sand theme. Lower sand is only level 3 but could also work.

As for the summon desert ally line that is 9 spells to replace. Laziest solution would be to replace it with a scaling bonus to wisdom checks to control shape sand. Eventually you should be able to control it practically freely. Stocking up on it as a Sand Shaper is not a bad idea.

ZhanStrider
2015-10-30, 04:44 PM
Sand shaping just doesn't make objects last long enough that I'm willing to trade nine levels of spells for a minor bonus to craft checks

Rubik
2015-10-30, 05:05 PM
Awaken Sand could be replaced by chocking sands.Does it keep doors and windows open, and prevent cars without brakes from moving?

ZamielVanWeber
2015-10-30, 05:22 PM
Does it keep doors and windows open, and prevent cars without brakes from moving?

Yes, yes it does.

Rubik
2015-10-30, 05:28 PM
A Vancian version of Psionic Minor Creation could do really well for the level 1 replacement, only instead of using ectoplasm, you use sand. Heck, there are a lot of metacreativity powers that could easily be ported over.

Grod_The_Giant
2015-10-30, 09:00 PM
Pretty much anything in Sandstorm ought to be fine, thematically speaking.

nedz
2015-10-31, 09:09 AM
What does your DM do about Druids and their spontaneous SNAs ?
This ought to help with the SDAs.

Milo v3
2015-10-31, 11:29 AM
Why not just change Summon Desert Ally 1-9 to a transmutation spell, and flavour it as piecing together the creatures from sand and dust from the environment? Also, why is awaken sand not allowed? It isn't a summoning spell or a teleport spell.

ZhanStrider
2015-10-31, 11:33 AM
What does your DM do about Druids and their spontaneous SNAs ?
This ought to help with the SDAs.

Druids can use SNA because "it calls animals from the nearby area". They don't appear immediately, and you don't get to pick off the list.

ZhanStrider
2015-10-31, 11:34 AM
Why not just change Summon Desert Ally 1-9 to a transmutation spell, and flavour it as piecing together the creatures from sand and dust from the environment? Also, why is awaken sand not allowed? It isn't a summoning spell or a teleport spell.

Something to do with not being able to give objects life-like sentience in his world. Which has made it hard for our urban Druid to beat people up as a trash can wild shape.

nedz
2015-10-31, 03:41 PM
Druids can use SNA because "it calls animals from the nearby area". They don't appear immediately, and you don't get to pick off the list.

SDA should work in the desert then ?

Nifft
2015-10-31, 04:54 PM
Something to do with not being able to give objects life-like sentience in his world. Which has made it hard for our urban Druid to beat people up as a trash can wild shape. When beating people up in the form of a trash can, I do hope something about being grouchy was mentioned.

SDA should work in the desert then ? Dustform creatures are not natural creatures which happen to exist in the environment nearby.

They are Constructs.

nedz
2015-10-31, 05:38 PM
Dustform creatures are not natural creatures which happen to exist in the environment nearby.

They are Constructs.

But Sand and Dust are everywhere :smallconfused: Well most places anyway.

I once played a game with a DM with a similar rule about summoning; there was even an argument when I used Shadow Conjuration to summon a Crocodile in a Pub — which I was only doing for a joke anyway.

Nifft
2015-10-31, 06:15 PM
But (...)

Arguing with me won't help the person who started this thread.

- - -

Anyway, some sand-and-desert themed spells:
1 - Aura Against Flame (SpC)
2 - Glitterdust
3 - Weather Eye (SpC)
4 - Rusting Grasp
5 - Wall of Stone
6 - Control Weather, Find the Path
7 - Wrack Earth (PHB2)
8 - Antipathy
9 - Shadow Landscape (SpC)

nedz
2015-10-31, 06:33 PM
Arguing with me won't help the person who started this thread.

I wasn't really arguing with you so much as commenting on the DM's house-rules.

You could easily refluff the spell as constructing these creatures out of nearby dust and sand, but I suspect that this DM wouldn't buy that.

Milo v3
2015-10-31, 06:52 PM
I wasn't really arguing with you so much as commenting on the DM's house-rules.

You could easily refluff the spell as constructing these creatures out of nearby dust and sand, but I suspect that this DM wouldn't buy that.

I suggested that above, he said the GM doesn't allow bestowing intelligence upon objects.

Troacctid
2015-10-31, 06:56 PM
Dustform creatures aren't intelligent. They're mindless constructs. It's comparable to Animate Dead or Animate Objects.

nedz
2015-10-31, 07:38 PM
You could look at the spells from the Sand or Summer domains.