PDA

View Full Version : Proposed spell, preety balanced?

Yeril
2007-05-26, 09:18 AM
Ive just finished working on my first spell, its a first level and ive tried several varients on it, and this is what ive finished, ID like peoples inputs and if they think its balanced.

Yeril's Arcane Arrow
Evocation [Force]

Level: 1 Sor/Wiz, 1 Brd
Components: V, S, F, M
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: 30ft
Area: Line
Duration: Instantanous
Saving Throw: Reflex negates
Spell resistance: Yes

You release a powerful Beam of Arcane energy that deals 2d4+1/level
(max 2d4+5) force damage to each creature in its path. The beam is blocked by heavy barriers such as walls and doors.

Material component; a pinch of copper oxide.
Arcane Focus; An arrow of atleast Masterwork Quality

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-05-26, 09:27 AM
Heyas, how about you move that on over to the Homebrew Design (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15) forums? Get alot more feedback there.

Quietus
2007-05-26, 09:38 AM
Seems to be pretty balanced to me - the knee-jerk reaction was that 2d4+1 is a lot more than any other spell at first level does, such as Magic Missile. However, MM doesn't allow a save, either. And it won't take too long until other spells (burning hands, the aforementioned MM) will overtake it in power. Plus the fact that you need a masterwork arrow to make this work.

I'd say there's no problem with it.

Ikkitosen
2007-05-26, 09:49 AM
I have to say it doesn't seem very Bardy. It's just direct damage.

Rad
2007-05-26, 11:57 AM
As said, it does not fit in the bard flavor well; I am not sure if there is any force spell in the bard list at all.
As for balance, in my opinion it is too low if anything. I would remove the masterwork arrow requirement.
Compare to Kelgore's fire bolt from PHBII: it is force damage instead of fire, but it's less damage (except at level one, where the masterwork arrow virtually bars it). Also reflex negates instead of reflex half.
Remove the focus and you should be OK.

Yeril
2007-05-26, 01:50 PM
you make a very good point with the bard thing, and sorry I completly forgot about homebrew forum, but thanks for your input.