PDA

View Full Version : "On the Origin of PCs" prequel book - Elan's segment speculation

LuisDantas
2015-10-30, 02:59 PM
Could it be Crystal in the first few panels featuring the Rob-U-While-U-Sleep Inn? She sure looks similar enough, and the role is just about right.

Lexible
2015-10-30, 03:00 PM
Could it be Crystal in the first few panels featuring the Rob-U-While-U-Sleep Inn? She sure looks similar enough, and the role is just about right.

I always assumed that was Crystal!

Gift Jeraff
2015-10-30, 03:15 PM
It is indeed Crystal and Chuck the Arcane Trickster.

LuisDantas
2015-10-31, 03:43 AM
That certainly seems to be the case.

Come to think of it, this is one of the benefits of the latest art upgrade. Characters now have more variety and nuance of appearance and there is little risk of accidental look-alike turning up.

We have come a long way from the armies of identical looking Azure City soldiers!

ti'esar
2015-10-31, 04:44 AM
Though that might well be because it's been a while since any Azure City soldiers have appeared at all. We're still likely to see some "generic" designs if there's a big crowd scene with lots of functionally identical mooks, I suspect.

hroşila
2015-10-31, 06:10 AM
Besides looking exactly like Crystal and Chuck, they're kinda in the middle of hiding a corpse when Elan shows up. I mean, it doesn't get any clearer than that.

LuisDantas
2015-10-31, 11:39 AM
Besides looking exactly like Crystal and Chuck, they're kinda in the middle of hiding a corpse when Elan shows up. I mean, it doesn't get any clearer than that.

I see where you are coming from. The characters were, after all, introduced in the same book, just a few pages earlier.

On the other hand, we did have pallette-swap characters in the strip in the past (one based on Elan comes to mind), and Origin is a grayscale book, so there is more potential for ambiguity.

I guess I am just wondering why the characters were featured in both stories with (far as I can tell) no plot consequence at all. Crystal technically met Elan once since, but I don't think she recognized him.

Porthos
2015-10-31, 01:12 PM
I guess I am just wondering why the characters were featured in both stories with (far as I can tell) no plot consequence at all.

At the very least it's one of those "six degrees of separation" things going on where it shows that some of the characters were a bit more interconnected than originally thought (which in turn, might very lightly foreshadow the Tarquin-Elan plotline).

Or, if one wants a more comedic angle (which shouldn't be ignored, especially in OotS's early days) it was just a funny "oh, look - Elan ran into some old 'friends' of Haley; hilarity ensues".

It doesn't need to have a great (or any) plot significance beyond that. :smallsmile:

Rogar Demonblud
2015-10-31, 04:34 PM
I think the best part of that was "Paladin in Greysky". Can you imagine turning Miko loose there?

137beth
2015-10-31, 05:39 PM
Yea, I just assumed it was Crystal all along. I don't think it as much plot-relevance, though.